1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you think that WoW is worth the money?

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Firag, Sep 19, 2005.

1. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Heh, I did not try anything yet, just read some stuff on the boards (comments of players, list of spells, etc). Really, the spell system seems quite simplistic (I was interested more in this aspect, since hack and slash does not quite appeal to me).

Maybe I'll give it a try (I understand at some point there were free trial periods) when I get some free time.

2. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

That's usually what I hear first when the anime fanboys start defending the subject of their loyalty (no offence intended): "Just play it until you're so full of it that you think it's AMAZING!" :shake:

And the regular answer: "Sorry, but I'm not going to waste 20+ hours just to find out if this is true or not. Usually not."

3. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    That new Corrupted Blood thingy was kinda nice though, unfortunately it was a bug...

I don't play the game though.

4. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    So you started playing the likes of Planescape and BG and instantly knew everything about the game and fell in love with them straight away? Righto. Any game that has an element of complicity needs a little patience to fully understand and appreciate.

5. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Maybe, but that does not mean that half of it should be 'poorly' spend time. I don't mean that you should just throw it away right after testing it for the first time, but if the second, third, and maybe fourth time are the same, there is hardly need to go any further, is there? ;)

6. Barmy Army

Media:
    Wirhe, you smell :lol: .

7. St. James Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I think you are missing most of the MMORPGs. They need to have decent combat and advancement systems, decent quests, etc., but the whole appeal of a MMORPG is the MM part.

I spent some time on two different MMORPGs and enjoyed one far more than the other because it was more social and more quirky than the other -- and that was despite the fact that the second had much better graphics, more races to play, and so forth.

I am interested in many current MMORPGs, and I see a lot of interesting things in several of them. But the only one I would play would be WoW because I know a few people currently playing it and I know that they say that the community is pretty good.

8. Orichifunk Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I've played Star Wars Galaxies, I've played Everquest 1 & 2, and I've played World of Warcraft. Of those four, I've had the most enjoyable time with WoW, due to alot of things. The game is sort of simpler; you do not have to play for a month to get to level 12, or to get some nice rewards, the graphics totally kick ass, it's based upon one of the best (if not the very best) RTS I've ever played, Warcraft 3, so I really do not have any bad things to say about it. It's easy to get into, and frightningly easy to get addicted to.

9. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Personally, I think anyone who claims the price is way too much for a "simple" online RPG, has never tried it out and don't know what they're talking about.

Many of them suck, of course. But the fact still is that MMORPGs are completely different from some singleplayer RPG's and those cheap free MMORPG wannabies (like Priston Tales, Diablo, Guild Wars etc). While too many of them focus around the never-ending grind and favor hardcore gamers over the actual 95% of their playerbase, they do have a depth, complexity and a community that far exceeds any other game made.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

Since last year's November, I started playing WoW. Then I quit for 6 months, now I've been playing for 2 again and depending on whether the expansion will bring any real new content to the game or not (just new high-level instances won't do, the game has to go to another direction completely), I'll quit soon or keep playing for potentially even years.

It doesn't beat BG2 with its plot, characters or immersion, obviously.. but that's not the point either. WoW offers hundreds to thousands of times more entertainment hours than your regular good singleplayer RPG. Not better entertainment perhaps, but good enough.

So is it worth it? Only you can tell. What I can suggest is that wait 1-2 more months till you know what the expansion brings. I think a lot of people currently playing WoW are so bored that the expansion will make a load of difference.

10. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I think you also have to acknowledge how playing a MMORPG is going to effect your life...

Those games are terribly addicting (as are all great games), but unlike single-player games which act as a break from normal life, MMORPG's provide a social network that allows you to almost completely substitute it for a normal life.

Back when I used to play Everquest, I would meet people online who would glibly brag about losing their jobs; when I got to know them a little better, it turns out a few had lost their families as well because of that game. Because of a computer game! How insane is that?

Just be careful, you would not want that poor person to be you.

11. Barmy Army

Media:
    Yes well, if you get like that then you need shooting, let's be honest.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.