1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you think that WoW is worth the money?

Discussion in 'Warcraft & Starcraft' started by Firag, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Firag Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Do you think that this game worhty the money ?
    Forget the fees and give your opinion :}

[ September 19, 2005, 22:48: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Online in general AREN'T worth the monye if you ask me. Can't understand *why* people are willing to spend +50 bucks fer a game that won't work unless you pay a monthly fee for what? MSN messenger with a better GUI and option? Plus their is the 14 old fanboy and the jerk that think that they are cool because they use the mentaly retarded language known as LEET. Bleh! Nay stay away from this madness I tell ye!

Do I hate Online Rpg? Me? Nooooooooo...!

3. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What you have to appreciate is the sheer size of the playing-scene. In Europe alone, there are 50 servers, each capable of holding 3000+ players (and most usually full!) in such a rich gameworld. No other game, to my knowledge, has such a big following. This costs loads to run and maintain.

Plus, the game is free if you know where to go ;) . I would never pay for it, if I had to pay to play it.

4. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

I couldn't really get into WOW, but I've been playing FFXI for a year and a half now. I didn't ever touch any other games while I played FFXI, MMORPGs are too addicting.

I've finally stopped playing for a while (don't know if I'll be going back).

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Why forget fees when asking if it's worth the money? ;) It's the fees what's the problem. If you don't mind the fees because, for example, you love the game so much and you play often enough to justify the expense, then go for it. Otherwise, forget (as I have). Don't know about leeters and other such, haven't played the game or even watched anyone else play, so I can't tell you.

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i'm with chev. if you think that the playing cost is worth it (very subjective) then do it. otherwise, don't. like ofelix, i also dislike mmorpgs. they wrecked FFXI :mad:

7. Barmy Army

Media:
    I think WoW is the least 'leet' full gaming scene I've seen to be honest. Everyone I have talked to on there have been mature.

I can see why people wouldn't like the monthly fee. But I put it into perspective a little. Let's be honest, you buy a game for £30 from a shop, and you might play it for a few weeks, maybe even a few months if it is a very good game. With WoW, you pay £24/25 for 3 months of playing time. Plus, the game is free anyway. Persoanlyl, I got the 14 day trial from a demo-disc and it can be upgraded.

I think it's a class RPG with a lot of replayability factor. The sheer scale of the gaming world is absolutely mind-boggling.

8. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31

Veteran

... how?

9. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

By making it MMO. The Final Fantasy series has been one I've loved for years, but this was the last straw. :mad: I don't do MMO, and that's the reason why I will never play either FFXI or WoW. :p

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    You should give it a go mate, you'd like it. Just give the 14 day trial a try.

11. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Guys, when talking monthly fees you also got to look at server and satff costs! Like Barmy said they got many servers running 24/7, which costs money. And if you want to being able to keep running a fully updated, patched and ready to go game, then you'll need some people...
    Look at DiabloII for example, it ran smooth for years, but as other projects called, the servers was left at the mercy of the providers (in my case Telia, who didn't care squat to maintain those). Talking patching, Blizzard had 2 guys, 2 guys! Working on the anticipated patch 1.10 for almost a year before it came out. And, that patch was promised in almost 3 years or so (Blizzard kept saying soon, soon, soon...).

Like Chev said, if you can afford the cost, and believe that the game will be worth it (you can at least try it a month), then go for it. If not, then no.

non-charged MMO(RPGS) are almost certainly doomed to failure.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@any well-meaning person who tries to seduce me to the dark side:
    Not a f***ing chance, mates. :cool: I'm not going to shell out that kind of cash just so I can lag on dial-up. There are more than enough regular games with multi-player facets to keep me happy without resorting to picking my own pocket and subsisting on Ramen. :p Maybe I'd like it if I tried it, but if I want that kind of interaction I'll stick with PnP, TYVM.

At least Warcraft (being primarily a strategy series), hasn't succumbed completely to the MMO fad. There's still Warcaft 3 out there (and possibly more to come :bigeyes: ), but FF is hosed now that it's given in. I may even have to check out FFIX at some point just due to the lack of continuity. :(

13. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

yeah, i'm with you 100% on this one fel.

by making it PURELY multiplayer. I would still have bought it if it had a single-player component like it should've. XII is coming soon.. and it better be good!

14. Tap Dancing Oyster Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Veteran

Yes - the popularity of the game is unquestionable. I'm reluctant to delve into the MMORPG world myself though

15. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It looks interesting, but unfortunately those fees are one big minus. Not because of the size, but because they require you to have a credit card (which I don't have, and won't have just to play one game). Sure, there are those "play-time cards", but they aren't available around here. Also, it has to be either monthly fees OR the purchase price; not both.

Is it worth the money? Maybe. Is it worth the trouble? Definitely not.

16. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I think that it is worth the money...i play it quite a bit and havent had many complaints with it. Avoid the Warsong server if you do buy the game, it has to get repaired pretty much every weekend.

17. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I would say its not worth a dime. I played it for awhile , and the whole game struck me as redicilous. You fight , die , your soul respawns at the graveyard , and you travel back to your corpse and continue fighting. Makes me wonder why they even have graveyards in the game.

Mostly WoW is a rpg tutorial or something , nothing more. Its easy as well. You get spoonfed how to complete every quest anyway. And aparanlty after you have killed ALOT of monsters and gained enough XP. YOur character is then inteligent enough and powerfull enough , to be able to ride.
    I have ridden a horse before so I guess that makes me a highlevel character , if I lived in the WoW world.
    Basically the game is stupid , it sucks. And its made for people who don`t relly much on their wits much in day to day life.

In other words. I hate the game hehehehe.

Ohh and the elves in the game has stupid looking ears. They look like bunny ears or something , freaks me out.

Ok rant is done :)

18. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31

Veteran

FFXI was always meant to be a MMORPG ... so I don't see how they "ruined" it at all. You're not obligated to play the game if you don't want to. The game wouldn't work AT ALL if it had a single player component. ^^;

FFX, X-2, and XII are your offline RPGs ... so I don't see how you can complain ?_?

edit: no matter what your connection (DSL, dial up, cable) all servers on FFXI run at 56k, so no one has a speed advantage. The only thing you'll have over other people is being able to log on faster and download the updates faster.

19. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

I was considering trying this game (would be the first MMORPG I tried), because I heard good things about the low level play, and how you don't need to spend ridiculous amount of time to advance. However, upon looking a bit at the game play, it seemed to me to be quite simple (compared with a typical RPG). There seems not to be much tactics or strategy involved in fighting battles, the spell system is rather simple, and, to boot, if you want to play as part of the group, you are expected to follow one of the well-know class developement paths which makes your character uber (basically, your have to specialize in certain spells types); otherwise you are no use for the group.

So it seems there is not much scope in the game for RPing. It hardly seems worth it. Well, if any played and found it enjoyable, I'd like to know. I would not mind the fees too much if it would be entertainig.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    You shouldn't play it for an hour and assume that the game is all like the little snit-bit you have just tried.

WoW is a game that rewards loyalty. Basically, it gets better and better the more you A) understand the intricaties of the game, and B) gain in levels.

There are so many differents skills, talents, professions, classes, races, cities, areas, enemies etc. etc. that the game has scary replayability once you understand it properly. It may seem like a simple hack-and-slash at first, but once you get into it, it becomes far more than that. I mean, for example, there are certain encounters that only a party of 20+ lvl 50+ players with absolutely seamless teamwork will be able to tackle. On the same token, if you want to go it alone and hone all different kinds of skills to make yourself some multi-purpose solo guy, the game gives you that option.

All I will tell you is that for the first day or two I played it, I was not impressed at all, it just seemed some Dungeon Siege rip-off. After perservering with it a bit, and talking to some WoW veterans for game advice, the game seems to open up like a... something that opens up to reveal a lot of options and paths (never been good at metaphors).

Give it a go. Give it a good fair crack of the whip. Speak to regular players to learn the ropes (there are lots of ropes to learn!!). Play it a lot and get your guy up in levels. You will learn to love the game, I promise you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.