1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you really need a mage?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Washed Heathen Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Ok there really is no effective alternative to mages for mage spells. But there are other non-mage area effect spells that when used properly can be almost as devastating (e.g. entangle)

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Yes, there is really no substitute for mage spells, but BARDS CAST MAGE SPELLS. In fact, a bard is actually more powerful than a mage for spells that increase with level (such as fireball) because at the same number of XP, a bard will be of a higher level than a mage.

3. RangerFox Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Not really, since BG has such a low level cap the leveling speed makes no noticable difference.

And bards don't have all that many slots to play with. What use is mage spells if you can only cast a few per day?

4. dshadow Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

I've just played through BG1 with an all fighter/thief party and found it easier than a party with mages in. I was lethal in melee combat and, as everyone had lots of hit points, it took forever for the enemies to kill us. Only problem was with healing but my main character got some healing spells as innate abilities and Ajantis was able to lay on hands which kept up alive through thick and thin.

5. Dracuul Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Mages are the main reason that I play the Infinity games, they are after all roleplaying games and I've always had a softspot for the ability to turn your hands into flamethrowers...

Also, not taking a mage along would mean I'd have to miss out on Xan with his Moonblade, who is one of my favourite NPCs.

Buttkicking for goodness is a lot of fun, but so is catching a glimpse of a rabbit-footed dragon... :rolling:

6. Eze Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

I usually take a mage, but I use him for Magic Missile and Haste. That's all.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I like to play a mage or multiple thereof. They add flavour. I usually take Dynaheir along because she can really pour the Magic Missiles into the enemy (I rarely use fireball, as it tends to hit my own party!)
    Haste is nice, and there are a few other spells that make a mage worthwhile. Identify (especially if you think garrick is a bit of a loser and don't want Eldoth because he is evil) Burning hands, Acid arrow, etc. All good spells.

8. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

I take one pure mage/sorcerer and one (usually) rogue/mage. I love mages they have so much more capabilities, and endless strategies (even more so in BGII)

Recently I discovered that Level 5 spell cone of ice is really really wicked, good range great damage, and so I discover new usefull spells everyday next to magic missile and haste.

9. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

You need a mage to identify things! Bards & shops are limited in lore, not the spell.
    Wands are not so great, except conjuring ones. Magic missiles wands often throw only one missile.
    Xan is a joke, of course. Dynaheir is the one to pick. Edwin can't identify. Bards can have only one weapon. So you must choose: melee or range.

edit: Of course, bards can use the identify spell too. Err... after all, they are pretty good in BG. Consider this message as spam.

[ September 16, 2003, 17:27: Message edited by: Wil ]

10. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Chant and Haste eventually become the two spells that make it possible for you to melee in the later game's tougher battles because eventually ranged weapons begin to lose their edge.

Bards (also multi-classed and dual-classed mages) can somewhat sub for pure mages thanks to scrolls and wands, but if it weren't for the ridiculous amounts of magic items the game throws your way all throughout, you'd never get through the game without a mage.

And just try keeping that up in BG2.... ;)

11. Maincarast'è Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Useful or not, I found Xzar pretty funny to play. And when I got to Baldur's Gate he was awesome powerful :o .

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.