1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you need a Cleric in this game?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Klorox, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Sure enough, ranger clas has its own charm!

Anyway, I am glad you understand the power of cleric class, it is my very favourite build:
    Cleric 14/Mage x Ofcourse this is pretty hard in IWD (doable with less than 6 persons) but it is wonderful in BG2! :thumb: Both hard and versatile and thus soo much fun! Gotta love dual-classing AND clerics! (druids are not appealing to me as they can not dual-class to a mage! What a pity! )

2. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

The favored enemy can be very useful, I'd imagine.

If I didn't have my heart set on having a dwarf in my party, the F/C would probably have been a C/R.

3. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

remember that in IWD that it is not an XP limit it is a level limit so multiclasses in the long run are better than a dual class in my oppinion. My party was a lv30 pal, lv30/30 ranger/cleric, 30lv bard, 30/30lv fighter/druid, lv30 ranger and a fighter/mage/thief that wasn't fully leveled yet. To be honest I didnt need much healing even in HoF mode on as in combat I had the ranger cleric and potions and after I would use the bard song to quickly heal my entire party for free. My main tank the fighter/druid was immune to physical and most magical types of damage for a decent amount of time (yay for water elemental change and items of physical resistance+spells) and after he was helped by the ranger, pal, and summons. Worked fairly well.

[ October 05, 2005, 03:33: Message edited by: Yoshimo's Heart ]

4. Shrikant

Shrikant Swords! Not words! Veteran

Not really Klorox. I was playing on Insane difficulty so everyone got double XP. There are hardly any traps in the game. Dragon's Eye is littered with them though. I got back the Thief abilities somewhere around the second level of it.
    This was my third or fourth party. You know you will want to experiment with different types of party once you have finished your first run. I had a duo of F/M/T & F/M/C and damn was it hard.

As far as taking Ranger is concerned, I wanted the variety. If I take a Fighter I have to GM in his weapon. With a Ranger I was forced to spread around the profeciencies. So both Ranger and Paladin could handle different weapons types and I never needed to throw away any cool weapons since no one could use them. Both these guys got ** in a ranged, two-handed melee and single-hand weapon asap. That way they were able to cover for the other when necessary.

Also ranger can stealth while bard can pick pockets. Ignoring these abilities, a thief[9] can put over 100 skill points in the rest.

5. Elan Morin Tedronai Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

Definitely yes. For 5 or 6-character parties - better pure or a dual-classed at level 9. For smaller parties - multiclassed Dwarven Fighter/Cleric. It's an uber-killing machine. I have passed the game solo. :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.