1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you Kindle?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Do you use electronic book reading device thingies?

1. No way, old fashioned books for me all the way

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. I prefer books, but will use one for travel or similar things

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Either one is fine for me

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Eh, well, if my battery is dead or I can't find the thing, I'll pick up a book

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Unless I'm forced to by work/school, I don't touch a book, only e-readers for me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
  2. Spellbound

Spellbound Fleur de Mystique Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I'm thinking about getting one. But I think I'd miss the feel of the pages of a well worn book.

Dice likes this.
  3. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    One thing I wanted to ask about this ... does anyone think the delivery technology is going to change fundamentally in the foreseeable future? Frankly, I like the idea of switching to an electronic device like this wholesale, but not so much if I'm going to have to do it again in 5 - 10 years.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I'm not sure if I understand what the concern is. But as with most consumer devices the new generation is backward compatible so that they don't piss off their customer base with unusable devices.

The original Kindle is ~5 years old now, so you can see that track record at least.

It's more likely you'd want the newer more fancy device before your old device couldn't be used.

As far as delivery technology it's the same as every other wireless delivery: The Internet via Cell and/or WiFi. I think you can even use your computer and USB. I don't see that changing fundamentally in 5-10 years...

5. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Basically what BTA said and yeah you can use your pc and either usb or a media reader or via WIFI to transfer things to the device. I mention that last one becuase it can be done on the android devices aka the nook color/tablet, kindle fire.

6. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    I like reading with real books and my Kindle. Though to be honest, I usually prefer my Kindle, since I can easily take that with me anywhere.

7. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    I don't have a Kindle and might have trouble getting used to one. But I can see the point of having it - for example, books need never go out of print.

8. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I have gone back to more physical books. Not because I think they're better than digital ones, but more because a library system for digital books hasn't really matured yet. It's still more convenient for me to get all the library books I could ever want in physical form. Once the local libraries sort out a sensible digital borrowing system, then I will be back into "kindling".

9. dogsoldier Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm old-school--I like books. Have 500 in my office where I'm typing this, with hundreds more boxed up in the garage.

However, I have a Kindle and have found that I can get some books at a less expensive price on Kindle (that is, some scholarly works, and some older works, especially stuff that may have been only 1 or 2 editions, are quite expensive, running hundreds of dollars for a hard-copy edition, whereas, occasionally, I can get one of those books for $10 on my Kindle). For the most part, however, I read popular fiction which I believe I would not have to refer to again (for research re: work, education, or arguments) on my Kindle.

I would be a huge fan of the Kindle if I could get more scholarly, or single-edition, works on the Kindle. The market for the Kindle is aimed more towards popular fiction, mass media, etc.

---------- Added 0 hours, 4 minutes and 18 seconds later... ----------

Agreed, re: physical books and library systems. Also, I don't think--at least, I haven't figured out how to do it--one can annotate and highlight Kindle works. So if one needs to refer to them in the future for specific data, it seems to me that the Kindle books are less useful in that respect than hard-copies.

10. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, I need to change my vote here as I just bought a Kindle yesterday. The only reason I did it was because I am going to be trapped on a boat this summer with my family and I cannot fathom shlepping the number of books I will read. Thus, the purchase of a brand spanking new Kindle Paperwhite from my neighborhood Fry's yesterday.

Meh.

11. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I use Amazon's free Kindle reader on my PC because Kindle e-books are twice cheaper than PDFs. :p

12. Gunaso Guest

Sometimes I am.

13. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I use my mobile a lot for reading books, used to have a tablet for that purpose but it was just too big and unwieldy to easily read with late at night in bed.
    Truth be told though, i prefer hardcovers, but it's so much more easy to get a hold of e-books.

Currently (re)reading the midkemia books by Raymond E Feist, currently into the sons of krondor part. i've read up to conclave of shadows before, but in the last few years he's published a few new ones and 'finished' the series from what i understand, so i thought i'd read it all from start to finish :)

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    So, the "All-New Kindle Paperwhite" is coming out tomorrow. Anyone planning on getting it?

Here are the specs:
    • Free 3G wireless--no monthly fees or annual contracts
    • New, higher resolution display (300 ppi)--now with twice as many pixels
    • Now with Bookerly, our exclusive font, hand-crafted from the ground up for faster reading with less eyestrain
    • Built-in adjustable light--read day and night
    • Unlike tablets, no screen glare, even in bright sunlight
    • A single battery charge lasts weeks, not hours
    • Massive selection, lowest prices--over a million titles at $2.99 or less
    • Lighter than a paperback, holds thousands of books
    • Exclusive features help build your vocabulary, learn about characters, and connect with like-minded readers--all without leaving the page
    • Try Kindle Unlimited free for 30 days--choose from over 800,000 titles

15. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Nah, my one year old Kindle Paperwhite is perfectly fine.

16. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I read books for free on my desktop/laptop and then, if I liked them, I buy paperbacks for my collections.

I never have and never will use Kindle or any similar device for reading.

17. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'm considering getting one, the vocabulary builder feature looks like it'd be especially useful for learning less commonly used words. Learning English with a Kindle should be much easier for kids (and adults) these days given that they can instantly look up a word in mid-text without having to fumble with paper dictionaries like we had to. Ah, progress... :geezer:

18. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I can't remember the last time I've looked anything up in a physical dictionary. I had an electronic one a decade ago, and these days it's just a keystroke away. It could be nice if there were extensive features for foreign languages though, but I don't read any books in foreign languages, so I don't really need a Kindle for that.

19. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I can remember that, it was last sunday. The dictionary included in my e-reader is a nice touch, but since it's only in english, it's use is somewhat limited.

The e-reader is ok for travelling and for trying out new series (it helps reduce the amount of mediocre writing on the shelves), but I prefer a physical book at home.

20. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    KOBO.

Many times a bit cheaper and in Epub.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.