1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do you Kindle?

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by dmc, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Do you use electronic book reading device thingies?

1. No way, old fashioned books for me all the way

17 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. I prefer books, but will use one for travel or similar things

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. Either one is fine for me

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. Eh, well, if my battery is dead or I can't find the thing, I'll pick up a book

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  5. Unless I'm forced to by work/school, I don't touch a book, only e-readers for me

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The problem of using an e-reader for reading and storing for instance scientific papers, is that graphs with different coloured lines are difficult to read on the black & white e-ink. Coloured e-ink is still in development, but still mostly in the prototype phase.

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I'm aware of that. But I find the notetaking and highlighting fairly bulky (played around with in iPad). The keyboard's nice, but not for intense typing... besides, I think it's easier to remember things if you write it by hand.

3. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

kindle all the way

[​IMG] I've had a kindle since March 2011 and have read 211 books so far. Didn't have to return them or find a place for them on my already overloaded bookshelves. I never get rid of a book for fear I might want to read it again. With a Kindle my library is in the cloud and always available plus I have learned many new words because of the on board easy to use dictionary. Poor excuse I know but when I'm reading I'm too lazy to get up and fetch my Funk&Waganlls. I always intend to look up the words I don't know but by the tine I finish reading I forget what I wanted to look up.

4. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    I prefer physical books. I guess it's just the experience to hold it, smell it, whatever. And I hate to read to much text on a computer screen or other electronic devices. I frequently printes what I had to read when I was in university.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well, that's kind of the point of the e-ink display on the Kindle... it looks like paper.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I am currently reading 'A Dance with Dragons' on my iPad via the Kindle app. I have printed a single piece of paper since I got my iPad.

7. fastfritz Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Kindle user

One super feature I forgot is when I'm into a good story and have to drive somewhere I take my kindle and let it read to me ( audio ) while I'm driving. The voices male or female are pretty robotic but at least can keep the story going.

8. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

If I were to buy pdfs off sites like DriveThruRPG, can they be read on eBook readers like Kindle?

9. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I bought my mum a Kindle for her birthday, and she really likes it. I've had a quick go with it, and I think I could probably get used to reading on it.. I'd just miss having an actual book.

Maybe when i've read everything I own, i'll get one. I don't really want to leave my Discworld collection half-complete, though.

10. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't have a Kindle, but my understanding of it from reading about it is that is reads .pdfs, so I woudl think the answer is "yes".

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Amazon just announced new Kindles (including a tablet-like device). One with a simpler no-keyboard interface and the rest with touch interfaces.

It's really too bad that the publishers can force the Kindle prices to be no lower than the paperback prices. If the Kindle versions were cheaper that would seal the deal for me on any new book purchases, but now with free shipping for any purchase over $25 it's a wash price-wise.

I'm getting pretty close with the Kindle being only $99 now (or even $79 for that really simple interface).

12. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I agree. We have an iPad and I've used the Nook app from barnes and noble to read some free books and samples, but I can't see actually spending the money on an electronic book when for just a little more I can get a real book.

13. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Thanks, BTA. Would be so much easier than hauling piles of books around the place, on a weekly basis.

14. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I can. Because an ebook takes up no space. My house is overrun with books. They take up way too much space. With ebooks, I can have more space and less clutter in my house.

15. Parlabane Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

i own a sony ereader great things. I love the fact that i can have my entire library with me at all times, well almost.

16. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I love my Kindle, but, a lot of books are not available on it, especially the kind of books that members of this forum would want to read (ie sci fi, fantasy). Actually I think its sci fi selection is better than its fantasy selection.

Notably, the books I cant get on the Kindle store are most of the Raymond E Feist Midkemia books, the Horus Heresy, and the Elric of Melnibone stories. The lack of the bulk o Raymond E Feist's novels is particular irritating since the Kindle store has the more recent ones, and even some older ones, but not the good old ones. Ie, nothing from the Riftwar or Serpentwar sagas, and only one out of four books for some other sagas. Why some but not others?

Barring those issues, Kindle is AMAZING. I much prefer it to reading a book. I do like having a physical copy of a book to pick up and read, but I'm actually pretty over that now. I mean it would be pretty easy for me to just find it on my Kindle, instead of pluck it from my bookshelf.

Perhaps the only thing that Kindle will never be able to do, is let you buy used books.

17. Harbourboy

I doubt I will ever buy a physical book ever again, now that I can read them on my iPad.

18. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Figured I would update you all on what I am doing now. Got a Nook Tablet. Got it since the screen on my phone is to small to read anything larger then a simple text message. I am constantly using the nook to read and watch videos. Much better then having a stack of books next to me since I end up finishing them so dang quickly after picking them up for the first time. Currently in the middle of reading the Xanth series by Piers Anthony. Good series so far and he just has me laughing so much sometimes. I can easily add my books from my pc to the cloud using something like min.us or dropbox or even google drive now. I mainly use min.us since I can put the books in different folders based on author and just download the folder as a pack onto my nook. Since books arent that large in space it doesnt take long to download a bunch before heading out to spend a few nights away from home with friends and what not.much better then lugging around several books along with clothes. I love my nook tablet and its specs are perfect for me so I dont think I will get another device any time soon unless something happens to the nook if something does happen I will proapbly pick up the nexus tablet that ASUS is working on to replace my nook.

19. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I got a Kindle as a present one Christmas, and I was definitely in the mindset of "I prefer books, but will use one for travel or similar things," but since then, I read way more books on my Kindle than I do in paperback. So, I switched to "either". There are times when I prefer my Kindle -- primarily when I'm reading series, because it's so easy to get the next book, and also when I'm traveling. There are other times when I clearly prefer books. I still like the way books smell and feel, and I can't get that with my Kindle. I also do NOT like the Kindle for any of the following:

-Instructional/How-To books, including writing books, cooking books, teaching books. I like to be able to touch the pages, make marks (NOT the same as adding a note) and move back and forth from pages that are not right next to each other easily and simply (without having to go through the bookmark/note interface). It's *possible* to do all these things on the Kindle, but it's much easier with an actual book.

-Anything where pictures (including maps in fantasy books) matter.

I have a greyscale e-ink Kindle. I don't like backlit devices for reading at all. I also don't like touchscreens because I don't want to have to worry about/deal with fingerprints. Those two qualities (e-ink and not touchscreen) were only available on the Kindle, when I got it, which made my decision (I had been planning to buy one) a lot easier. That said, I can see the advantage of color and possibly larger size for dealing with graphical content. Personally, I'd rather just get the actual book than have a whole e-reader that I don't like otherwise, just because it can do graphics okay.

20. Topken

Topken Elven-dragon wizard

Update Since I started to ride my bike more I cant really read and ride so I have taken to listening to the discworld series by Terry Pratchett when I head out. Using my phone to listen since I have it with me when I away from home.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.