1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Do I need Her?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Caserius Tendook, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Caserius Tendook Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Just picked up my copy of SoA again and I'm looking to play it after a year off doing other things. This time I'm experiementing with some NPC mods which is kind of cool, but I'm getting ready to head to the Asylum and I really like my current set up. I'm having trouble remembering, but is it really necessary to have Imoen with me when I head off to the Shaugin City and eventually the Underdark? Am I going to be missing out on some "special" or other content if I don't drag her along?

I appreciate any input. Thanks.

2. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    nah, nothing special

3. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Woah, hold your horses!
    It's Imoen we're talking about! You simply cannot leave Immy behind!

I was not impressed with Irenicus and his mad-man schemes, the only reason that motivated me to hunt him down was getting Imoen back!

I to use NPC-Mods but Immy has an fixed place in the Portrait-Bar

4. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You won't be missing out on any special content, but as far as the story/plot goes Imoen is invaluable.

If you're installing ToB soon, then definitely yes.

5. Caserius Tendook Gems: 1/31

Thanks, this makes sense, but just for clarification, can you give me an example of "how" she is invaluable to the plot/story? Not trying to be a pain, I would just like to understand what consequence I'm gonna be facing if I leave her behind to pick up later (like after the underdark).

6. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    I can't stand Imoen, she's whiney

7. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In BG she's annoyingly upbeat, while in BG2 she's more whiney, as Shoshino suggests. Though in ToB she regains some of her BG1 demeanour. She is, I think, the only recruitable NPC that doesn't have her own quest (although you could argue that the outing to spellhold is her quest).

So yeah, you can just tell her to buzz off in Spellhold and you won't miss a bit.

8. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Minsc doesn't have a quest. Neither does Viconia really unless you count untying her from a pole.

9. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

imo stinks imo

10. Caserius Tendook Gems: 1/31

Cool. I appreciate it, She can go hang at the CC with Korgan and Anomen.

11. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Imoen is a large part of BG2 + ToB's storyline, but no you don't really need her for any purpose other than fleshing out the story.

Immy's like a sister though so I always have her along. To make her more useful I tend to change her class to thief or bard. There are enough mages in the game already, and only one pure temporary thief :/

12. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    You're right, forgot about that (most of the time I play with a multiplayer party, not with NPCs). I seem to recall some extra fights if you romance Viconia though - or was that added in a mod?

Interestingly, if you're soloing and don't want to have anyone tagging along, you can't tell her to buzz off while in chateau Irenicus. So what I usually do is to send her into the room where the lightning mephits are spawned and let her get killed. She doesn't actually die, but if her hitpoints go below a certain level, she'll freak out and run away, leaving the party in the process.

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Iirc, ToB has a Yochlol and Handmaiden come after her but that is it. Romance Only I believe.

14. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Sure you can. Right at the beginning with she first comes to you. Choose the right dialogue options, and you can tell her somthething like it's better if you both try to escape separately.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.