1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Divine Divinity

Discussion in 'Playground' started by Lotlanne, Mar 16, 2004.

1. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Has anybody here played it? I am playing it right now and it looks pretty good. But I just started, so I don't know what it is gonna be like later. Anybode has any experience with it?

2. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

I really like it. After the first main quest (curing Mardaneus) it becomes very freeform, and it's possible to become very powerful without even glancing at the main quest again. I enjoyed it far more once I could leave the village without being slaughtered.

Immediately before reading this post, I had just completed the demo of the sequal, called Beyond Divinity. If you enjoy this game, which I think is great, definitely try Beyond Divinity.

3. david w Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I'd definitely recommend it. There's not a lot in the way of storyline or roleplaying on hand, but it's a truly great hack-n-slash game with some very interesting ideas (upgradeable items via charms, etc). Well worth getting.

4. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31

Thanks, I will try it. What class did you play? I am a fighter, right now I am in the catacombes saving whatever his name's sanity. And did you put all your skillpoints into whatever class you are? Like there is regeneration skill available for survivors. Can I put a point in it, though it's not my class?

5. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Basically, you can invest points in any skill you want. That's why I love this game. THe initial class you choose makes very little difference, the only real change is your unique class ability. I chose survivor, but at the end, I had a survivor wielding a huge nobleman's blade and a dragon shield in full plate armor. It rocked. Speaking about the end, it sucks, but the rest of the game is awesome, especially the castle, when you're hired to be lord protector.

6. Alavin

I was a fighter with some survivor elements. You can put points into whatever slots you want, so I had a lot of sword mastery skills, repair, augment damage etc from fighter, and lockpick, pick pocket, identify and regeneration from survivor. I also had Restoration, which proved invaluable.

Edit - Curses - beaten to replying.

7. david w Gems: 19/31

I've not finished the game yet (the ending gets very, very boring) but I've played through as a fighter and a wizard and enjoyed it with both. The survivor (a thief by any other name) just didn't interest me much.

8. Alavin

I reached the end of the game far too early, and got slaughtered in 2 breaths from a dragon rider. Since at that point I couldn't go back to the main world, I haven't played since, and I was being totally outclassed.

Something that I just remembered - unless you want a *really* dull game, do not use the warrior's unique attack with a frost weapon. Being surrounded by people who can't move while you beat them to death makes the game easy. Shame you have to actually *reach* dragon riders to hit them...

9. david w Gems: 19/31

Where do you get a frost weapon from? I've never found one yet.

10. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Weapons are completely random. You'll get a frost weapon eventually, I got a sweet Rogue's Dagger of Snow at the merchant square in rivertown. If you don't feel like getting one, you can also invest points in frost. Anyways, Alavin, Dragon Riders are vicious. I did every sidequest and still couldn't beat the dragon riders even on level 45.( maybe I didn't kill every enemy???) Besides, you can just use your arsenal of cheap abilities, like deadly gift, freeze, and poison weapon...

11. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Look for an faq or something, as an rpg player, you don't want to miss anything.

This game is little more twisted than Diablo, little less character building than Diablo becasue of its open ended character skills. i don't know how to explain this exactly, but if you have rules that set you within a limit while developing a character than you will have more variation than those with no rules. The open-ended-ness just makes everyone to go to one direction while developing their character.

With that said, sadly there are only a few ways to build your character. (i play this game near the end of 2001) STR and INT are not that important in the game, especially int. As you progress, you will find tons to items that add tons of str or/and mana/int. You only need to invest str and int just enough for you to wear armor and cast spell (if there is such requirement).

Other good reason that str and int are not worthwhile,
    *Spoiler
    At one point of the game, as a subquest, you will need to fight naked. DEX gives you higher chance to hit and CON let you stays in the ring longer.
    Late/middle late in the game, you will reach a place where you cannot use you magic.

As for the skills,
    The skill that let you buy things cheaper and sell things more expensive, no need to invest in it as you can learn this skill from subquest. The same goes for lockpicking.

You might hate me for this,
    again, i played this game some time ago, so i can't really say for sure it is str and int are not important or dex and int. might be dex and int, i am too old to remember.

12. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31

People, you are great! Thanks everybody! Now I even now whom I am going to fight at the end. And it has to be something with dragons. I hate dragons! Never had much luck with them...
    Ok, so as I understand, the best way is to build really tough guy with high dexterity.. well, worth a try...

13. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Don't worry, you don't fight a dragon at the end.

14. david w Gems: 19/31

I'm near the end now but can't seem to reach the demon. I've wandered round his entire fortress but the way to reach him seems to be blocked. Any ideas or am I just going about this the wrong way?

15. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I guess i must try it after all. I miss a pure hack&slash game these days, and this seems the perfect choice.
    Anyway i'll build a high-dexterity fighter. As i dont know anything else of the game right now, i'll edit the post later.

Oh, do put spoiler warnings OK?

16. Lotlanne Gems: 3/31

The only thing that I find slightly annoying is that merchants always don't have enough money to buy all you want to sell. I have heard from other people that further in the game you have to visit like 5 different merchants just to get rid of bigget items like armor and heavy weapons. It is the first game that I know where merchants have financial problems. And also the way they try to cheat and byu your stuff cheaper - that's not very nice. Not very nice at all...

17. Meatdog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Well, Lotlane, from your post I can only conclude that you have never tried Morrowind. There it's even worse.

18. david w Gems: 19/31

Financially restricted merchants might be a pain but it's kind of adds realism to the game. I remember one selling over 200,000 gold pieces worth of items to a merchant in Shadows Of Amn. This was a little guy with a stall and yet he had the funds to give me 200,000 gold.

The only merchant I've found who has a lot of gold is the blacksmith (Eric I think his name is) in the main square of the town on the eastern side of the map. He starts with around 30,000 gold.

19. Alavin

Towards the end of the game, you can trade directly for the most powerful Charms, worth over 50,000. They're definitely worth it though, as the most powerful either add 10 to a stat, or 20 (I think) to a resistance.

Is there any way to avoid people casting Hell Spikes on the floor under you and causing you to move away? This has caused me to die many times to one of the Black Ring casting it on top of me while I stand on my Teleporter Stone, thus removing my safe escape, and I get slaughtered by being impaled on magical protrusions, killing me quite quickly.

20. Rednik Gems: 21/31

Not sure about this, but I think you need really high fire resistance to avoid the hell spikes. And by the way, a good way to give the merchants gold is to buy charms, potions and other necessities, repair and identify stuff(Don't get the skill), THEN sell your loot.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.