1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Disney Purchases Marvel

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by LKD, Sep 4, 2009.

1. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] May have been another country then :hmm: Was in a book I got at Christmas about useless facts.

Found this so apparently the facts are useless! :lol:

2. Deathmage

Deathmage Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    I don't have a thing in general against 90s comics, but I have a huge thing against the current 00s ones (the "Ultimate" crap). They're just...eh, horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible. A lame attempt to be hip and modern, which falls utterly flat on its face.

Nice art though.

Also, Batman is clearly the coolest character ever. :p

3. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    Deathmage, I agree! But I'll go further.

What really turned me off about comics in the 00's (and utimatly made me stopped reading comics) is the lack of respect they had against the readers. Whenever a movie went out (like X-Men), the comics changed to better fit the movie so the audience who would be interested to read the issues wouldn't feel too lost. The thights are a little weird, I admit, but they gave an identity to the characters and to put them in black leather all of a sudden just feels wrong.

That, and the return of Chris Clairemont in X-Men turned me off... I don't like that guy.

4. AMaster Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Media:
    Hasn't Marvel done a ton of miniseries with them recently? There're a whole lot of Power Pack digests available if you want them.

Well there's your problem. Grant Morrison? Joss Whedon? Peter Milligan? They all wrote omgwtfsweet X-Men stuff. Actually, Milligan wrote omgwtfsweet X-Force stuff. No, seriously.

Have you read many comics from the big two from, oh, 2000 on?

5. Triactus

Triactus United we stand, divided we fall Veteran

Media:
    If you just take Age of Apocalypse and the Onslaught saga, it is enough to justify reading the 90's decade of comics... :p

6. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Hmm. On the corners of the intartubes where I read about comics, Onslaught and Age of Apocalypse are synonymous with crap.

Now, if you were to take Sandman, Preacher, and Transmetropolitan, then you might be able to justify the 90s. But superheroes? Well, I guess there was Ellis' Stormwatch/Authority stuff. That was solid. Spider-Girl started in the late 90s as well, I suppose. Though that's an acquired taste.

7. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

The whole of comicdom period is an acquired taste.

I suppose it all depends on what the reader is looking for coupled with what the artist (or company) is trying to do. Add to that their skill in achieving whatever their goal is and you've got a really chaotic situation.

If a company wants continuity and such, I suppose they can enforce it. but oh-so-often they toss continuity by the wayside in order to print more books and make more $. Die hard readers get pissed.

The escapism vs. interpretive debate also comes into play. Some authors can make really good entertainment while also making serious social commentary. Others just sound like naive, simple-minded douchebags when they try it. Or, their point is really well illustrated and deeply thought out and considered, BUT the story is boring as all get out.

People get used to certain styles in comics as well. I can't stand the Manga style, as I prefer the 80s and 90s style of Western comics as epitomized by the Marvel and DC companies.

I just don't want this takeover to mean that the art style becomes more juvenile friendly or that the characters become warm and fuzzy with the villains being one dimensional twits -- God knows we've had too many such useless, unrealistic, and downright lame villains over the decades.

8. Iku-Turso Gems: 26/31

Media:
    The 90's might be justifiable by Ellis' work alone.

Stormwatch and Authority good? You really should try Planetary or Global Frequency.

Then what we got in the 90's was the rise of crime comics, Sin City's mainly rubbish and Miller's quite frankly off his rocker, but I'll admit it for being entertaining if you've taken your brain and hung them out to dry -sort of way.

But if there's an inkling of interest in crime comics, 100 Bullets is one of the best there's been in a long time. Started out in 99 (does that still count as 90's?)

That's Vertigo comics, no surprises there. Dark and gritty does not make good, but Vertigo has made dark and gritty look better than ever.

But this is putting the 90's back to it's grave already, dead and buried. It was there, made it's mistakes and I'll not miss it much. The crime comic genre's still here, much thanks to Miller, he did show the way, even though he might still be grinding that stone 'till it bleeds dry.

I think the best of the 90's was Image. Not the comics, but the idea that the artists themselves would get a bigger cut from their work and to their work. Smaller imprints galore. More creative liberties, and well...we know how that went, but in any case there were a lot more ideas expressed out there than before, and elements that you couldn't get into mainstream comics since they were not PG13.

The big two houses followed, DC better than Marvel, tried to revamp their comics into more "adult" versions, which they're still doing. I think this was good, a wake-up call to everyone that comics really are a viable form of entertainment for grown-up people. Too bad especially Marvel was making a mess out of it.

Now that Disney's putting his fingers in places I wouldn't wish them to be and making Marvel just another abusable pokey-hole, the idea of comics as a source of pleasure for adult people isn't on as strong foundation as it might've been or become.

Hey, I could be wrong. Perhaps Disney is a good pimp and let his b*ches run free with abundant creative liberties, giving enough cash for those who really do work for their money. But it still makes Marvel Disney's b*ch. Might be stretching the allegory too much, but hey, ho's get gonorrhea, and I'm just about expecting someone to take up that as an idea as a name for a superhero/villain. (Meaning: the 'product' gets bad really quickly, STD's being prostitutes' job-related diseases...)

9. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Disney is Disney. You don't see Mickey Mouse with adult content much not necessarily because the company absolutely wanted it that way, but because it doesn't take an IQ over 80 to figure out what the impact of that would be.
    Anyway it wasn't Disney who went so far as to ban stuff like smoking and drinking, "violence" and anything remotely "offensive" on cartoons, despite the context, in case you didn't know. And not all Disney stuff has been about good winning against evil and happy endings either. The other stuff was just not well received, I've seen some and they weren't bad. You can check Disney on Wikipedia yourself if you want a list.

Personally I'd say the odds of them screwing this up or not would be about even.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.