1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Difficulty Setting - Insane

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by icewinded, Dec 26, 2009.

1. icewinded Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I just finished Icewind Dale on difficulty setting - Hard. It was tough, especially going through TOTL. But I completed it without cheating. A big accomplishment for me. Who here has made it through the game at insane level? If you did, please give the class and race of your party including any additional tips. I would appreciate any feedback from "insane" veterans of IWD.

2. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Congratulations for beating the game.
    Insane or hard level aren't harder than normal level since you get more XP, level faster and therefore have more options available.
    Any balanced party will do well. A party which finished at insane difficulty was

human cleric9/mage x
    human ranger7/cleric x
    human fighter9/druid x
    half-elf bard
    gnome fighter/thief

3. icewinded Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Dual class characters. OK. I had 5 non-human multi-class characters. I had 3 dwarven fighter/clerics. What relief in healing the party! Thank you for your response.

4. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I never cast healing spells during battles so I never needed more clerics. Druids can heal too and their spells offer additional options. The bard was the main healer, the level 11 song is great.

5. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

I wouldn't say that I "never" cast healing spells in the middle of combat. I don't bother with healing spells for fixing small amounts of damage. But if I have a tank that's truly in critical condition (later in the game), I'll have the character suck down a healing potion or 2 (to heal a little bit of damage in case he takes more damage while waiting for ...), but also try to have my cleric cast a Heal spell.

On the whole though, I agree that a bard singing the War Chant song is the best combat healing "spell" that you can use, short of desperately needed Heal spell. The War Chant song can do wonders on all those minor wounds, and save your cleric from having to waste spell slots on lesser healing spells.

6. Midget Gems Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] When I played a "no level-up" game I reached Dragon's Eye at Insane setting. After that I had to drop the setting back to normal and then easy to make progress!

The most important thing is to have good equipment, then you can overcome the higher settings for difficulty.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.