1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Difficulty level of IWD2

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Modjahed, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Modjahed Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

As it was said on the SP front page in an interwiew, the 3E rules provide an essential increase in difficulty for the experienced players. In Chapter 1, where I am now running, I had to reload certain battles five or six times.

IWD2 (combat wise) is certainly MUCH more challenging than BG2, and that' why I invite all the experienced players (who have the possibility to get the game now) to come and enjoy the challenge!

2. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Egads, who upgraded all frickin spellcasters? :eek: Those witchdoctors and shamans are not to be laughed at. Unholy Blight is not a nice thing to have dumped on your head. I don't seem them dumping as much redundant spellpower on foes, either. Hold Person being a Will save does not float my boat, either. :D

Anyway, if the higher level wizards are equally well done, it should be quite interesting.

3. Will Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

[​IMG] Brilliant; I love a challenge. With BG2, IWD and the like you kind of had to make it tough for yourself sometimes. Can't wait.

4. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] A question from someone who'll have to wait for a good many weeks before IWD2 comes to Sweden:

Would you say IWD2 battles are more challenging that the battles in NWN?

5. Fallen Paladin

Fallen Paladin The One and the Same Veteran

The batles in NWN weren't chalenging to begin with. :D

[ September 01, 2002, 15:50: Message edited by: Fallen Paladin ]

6. Javalar Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The battles are more challenging, although I've found that the best way to engage the enemy is to send one character ahead, and draw the monsters back into your already-made formation.

That way, they run en masse in chaotic fashion right into your trap. Once you use these tactics, I find you don't have to rest as often, as you take much less damage.

BTW, my party is comprised of:
    1. Half-Orc Fighter
    2. Wild Elf Ranger
    3. Aasimar Paladin of Mystra/Diviner
    4. Aasimar Cleric of Tempus
    5. Gray Dwarf Rogue/Fighter
    6. Drow Elf Necromancer

Right now I"m busy plowing through the fortress.

7. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

The battles in IWD2 are consistently more difficult than NWN by a long shot. Most battles have a good mixture of spellcasters, archers, and melee goons to deal with, so its easy to get guys killed if you aren't careful. Scouting is very important as is good use of bottlenecks. Healing potions, while not scarce, do not grow on trees like they do in some of the other games. And, of course, you have the IE resting rules.

8. Veldrin

Veldrin We'll ride the spiral to the end Veteran

I'm glad it'll be harder. Should make it last longer.

9. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

I agree, I just started IWD2 and I can tell its much harder than BG2 or IWD. I've already lost group members, and I just started Ch. 1! You really need to manage your inventory/money and buy wise, but I suppose thats the beginnng of any RPG. Those Orc Shamans suck.

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG]
    As in "Owch! They are killing my guys!" or as in "They are so useless, they can never harm my guys!"?

11. Faerus Stoneslammer Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I actually find myself short on healing potions quite often in this game. I love the challenge, and every single level up is a precious thing.
    Of course, if you have too much trouble, turn on the option of "Maximum hit points per level."
    It's cheap, I know, but it's very handy. (My 3rd level fighter, 1st level Barbarian, Dwarf with Con 20 has 90 hit points ;) )

12. Kilrathi Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Orc shamans suck as in "hey, look, another unholy blight that does real nasty things to my 12 hp wizard (yeah, that 8 constitution was a bad idea) and zaps my tanks, at the same time the shaman's five orc warriors and named orc boss are pummeling me". Which is where I'm stuck right now.

I've played all the IE games, won BG2 and P:T and would have won IWD if I hadn't stopped playing... and I'm getting my butt kicked. Granted, I'm trying not to stop and rest after every battle, so I'm going in at half-strength (and this battle in particular would probably be easier if I rested) but, yeah, orc shamans suck.

And there's absolutely no question this is harder than NWN -- which is a good thing. Gotta admit, I was starting to find NWN a bit dull, especially the combat. But I'm using the re-load button here like never before.

13. deBhaal Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Hmm, combat in IWDII is killer!!(yes the pun was intended :p )

I found the best thing was to have 2-3 tanks, and 3-4 archers/x-bowmen, let the tanks do whatever, and micromanage the archers :D Works wonders Ill tell you!

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

This sounds like my kind of game, especially if the challenging combats continue. Of course, if you really wanted to be cheesy, you could make your entire party neutral aligned, then they'd be immune to the unholy blight.

15. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Thats gonna be great for me The true neutral Druid :D :D :D
    I only played NvN and i can tell its way too easy :( Of course i had on max dificulty bu reloaded only five timrs in chapter 1. twice at those never swords :mad:
    I'm glad IWD2 is harder than Bg2(played that one on insane as well :D ) :) :)

16. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

No, Rastor, they would need to be 'evil' aligned to be immune to Unholy Blight. My party is neutral aligned (why is that supposedly cheesy?) and they definitely take a beating from Unholy Blight. I don't know if the neutrals are only taking half damage, as per p&p rules, or not. But I've had it do 20+hp of damage, which is nothing to sneeze at when 5th level and not using 'max hp'.

17. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Bah! Darned new rules. Guess Unholy Blight does affect neutrals now. I said that it would only be cheesy if you did that to get out of the wrath of that spell (which apparently doesn't work in 3rd edition D&D). My parties tend to usually be neutral aligned.

If your party was evil though, would the game then have the orcs use holy smite against you instead? Otherwise, that's a good way to get out of those types of spells if you're into that sort of thing.

18. Vormaerin Gems: 15/31

Orcs, being bad guys, can not use Holy Smite. And neither could your characters, if evil, use Holy Smite on the narsties.

19. Asheram Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] I WAS gonna play this game on Heart of Fury mode, as i did the original. But it sounds from the comments as if that could be seriously nasty. Think I'll start on Normal mode:)

20. Orkrist the Cleaver Gems: 13/31

(I love the auto log in feature these days!)

Yes, I meant those Orc Shamans suck as in they are tough for a low level party. I've found myself getting back into combat tactics I didn't use until, maybe, The Severed hand stage of IWD.

I was waiting to really get into IWDII as it has taken longer than the other IE games but I'm in it now.

The only thing is-why does it not look like 800 x 600? It looks like the 640 x 400 or whatever. Must be the new interface. How do you get rid of it inbetween the action?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.