1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Differences from the original?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition' started by JT, Dec 8, 2014.

1. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I have the original version (from GOG). What has been changed/improved in the EE?

I would almost want to give them money even if nothing had changed, just to reward them for making a party-based RPG with heavy emphasis on tactics, spellcasting, and character building. As far as I know, that's not something which has been available the past few years.

2. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think they put it into their EE engine, which means it contains all the options from ToB, effectively making the game considerably easier than it was, much like it did with BG1.

Whether that's worth all the improvements brought by the EE engine is arguable, but it does make many things easier for us humble modders.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's not all of the options of ToB. But includes most. Differences in Shapeshifting, etc... More magic items are added. More kits including Dwarven Defender, Dragon Disciple, Shadow Dancer, Priests of Tyr and Tempus. A better GUI. Some other stuff...

Several mods are already released that improve it even more. A Frost Journey is a Kit Mod that I like. Also like "some" of the options from Scales of Balance, mainly the kit/class sections.

4. Gafgorkion Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Veteran

Yeah, it's not all the TOB options. IWD:EE does not have HLAs for example.

It does however have all the BG2 kits plus the new kits added in BG:EE.

It also has true dual-wielding. IWD originally had "fake" dual-wielding where if you didn't have a shield equipped you got an extra attack per round. IWD:EE has true dual-wielding like BG2. True dual-wielding really breaks the game in my opinion because there are several very powerful weapons that add an extra attack per round (like Belm and Kudane do in BG2). There are two longswords of action in IWD. Dual-wielding those really breaks the game because they both give an extra attack per round, 15% resistance to slashing damage (which stacks), and to top it off they are +4 enchanted which means they are high enough enchantment to hit anything.

Also, IWD:EE has new spells that were not originally in IWD, such as Improved Haste, Protection of Magic Weapons, Timestop, etc.

5. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Y'all have already covered most of it. One more thing to add is that IWDEE also includes (most of) the Unfinished Business and Item Upgrade mods.

6. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    One thing I have noticed - since IWD has so many one-handed weapons that offer a defense bonus (often with the Defender name on them), it seems to me that IWD is the best game for lovers of dual-weilding. You can effectively get all the perks of dual wielding (extra attacks and effects) without sacrificing the perks of carrying a shield (extra defense). There are of course exceptions, as several shields offer a +3 or better bonus, but this certainly mitigates that.

So while not a "difference" per se, it certainly is a serendipitous alignment. :)

7. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Yeah, there are three really sensitive points of balance.

The introduction of BG2 spells gives mages advantages they didn't have in IWD. Think stuff like sequencers, anti-magic, protections, etc. To help counter this, the (few) IWD mages have had their AI updated to counter those spells if they're used by the party. If you use conventional IWD spells, the opponents will simply use the same tactics they did in IWD--so you're not going to see Malavon firing contingencies, but he will use, say, Warding Whip if you start throwing out Mantles.

IWD was very stingy with scrolls--in most cases, only one scroll was available for a spell in the entire game. Sorcerers gain a big advantage over mages in a scroll-strapped environment such as this. There's not really a lot we can do here to mitigate this.

And yes, the dual-wielding. I agree, for the most part, though IWD does have some awesome shields that you'll have to put aside for it. Like sorcerers, there's not really a lot we can do here.

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    You're looking at it the wrong way—it's the shield that's lacking. A standard sword & board build generally uses shield as a weapon, but that's not really possible in IE games. So, while TWF works just fine, all a shield does is provide a little extra security, and that's pretty inconsequential unless you're going all out on AC (D&D is a game of extremes).

That kind of got me thinking though. I'll have to check if there's a way to implement shield bashing in IE. That would be pretty awesome...

Verdadero_Foe likes this.
  9. Yoshimo's Heart Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Veteran

With things like the rings that give bonus attacks and weapons that give 1 or more bonus attacks I have found that for at least warrior type characters dual wielding was not needed to get 5 attacks per round. IN my old IWD game my ranger used a shield late game because he had 5 attacks while using the shield so its benefits were better than using the old dual wield option.

This reminds me though I am going to miss being able to get the extra attack with 2 handed swords like I could with old IWD rangers.

10. Ineth

Ineth Instigator Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, dual-wielding (especially with longs swords) feels like the most powerful option in IWD:EE, followed by weapon+shield.

Two-handed swords/halberds/axes are a little underwhelming; In BG2 they were imo the most powerful melee option, but in IWD:EE the two-handers I found could barely keep up with the one-handed swords/axes in terms of enchantment level and perks, plus you miss out on the bonuses from a shield or off-hand weapon.

---------- Added 0 hours, 10 minutes and 24 seconds later... ----------

I would enjoy a mod that does make enemy mages use contingencies and protection spells etc intelligently. I just did the mage battle in Lonelywood (the ones that come to assassinate the inkeeper), and it was much too easy, especially in contrast to all those tough Wailing Virgins and Ice Golem Sentries my party had to deal with prior to that.

In other words, something like SCS for IWD:EE would be great...

PS: According to the SCS author, it won't be ported anytime soon... :(

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  11. uVis Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

The most important feature is multiplayer support. Me and a friend have tried beating IWD many times but have been forced to give up due to bugs. No such issues sofar with EE...

If you're playing singleplayer, I haven't found a reason to switch. With all the tweaks and mods available, EE provides little new, except for multiplayer.

12. Hugin Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Yeah you pretty much got it covered guys,

The best is of course the Quick Loot function, and the Zoom in/out :D

A few things MISSING from the original: The guard function, and the character arbitration.

13. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    What about the expansion? Heart of Winter? Is that included in the EE version?

14. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Yes, it is - along with trials of the luremaster. :)

15. Eyebreaker7

Eyebreaker7 Someone clean my litter box ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Trials of the Luremaster? Looks like I'm in for more than I thought :D
    Thanks xosmi.

16. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    No problem :)
    One word of advice : Totlm is tough. i would advice you to clear the entirety of HoW just before going to sherincal's island before tackling it so you'll have the most powerful party you can.
    Some mobs you'll encounter there are harpies (fear effect) wyverns (poison) spectral guards (come in huge numbers and are arguably the toughest mobs to take care of) werejackals (like werewolves but..jackals.. :p) and even some glabrezu. :eek:

17. Eyebreaker7

Media:
    Ouch. That's some serious stuff. Thanks for the heads up. :borg:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.