1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Did you SEE that?

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shralp, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

[​IMG] Oh, my... delirious with joy. Happiness. So very, very blissfull.

The Republicans have managed to retake the Senate. For the first time since Eisenhower they pwn the House, Senate, and White House.

Ok, so true nirvana would be having a 61-vote, filibuster-proof majority in the Senate, but this is pretty darn good.

Finally we will be able to get some decent Federal judges, make the tax cut permanent, and maybe even get the Homeland Security gig passed.

On top of that, my friend Alex Mooney won his state senate seat in Maryland even after the Democrats gerrymandered his district to try to get him tossed out. Oh, man. It was a happy night.

2. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I was about to post the same topic ... glad I read yours first!

I'm so happy that I'm giddy. I whistled all the way to work.

Now, I just have to move. Illinois is now very, very liberal. Lisa Madigan (who has never tried a criminal case in her short life) is now Attorney General. The new jackass Governer is already talking about either making guns illegal, or charging $500/bullet.

/me heads to Indiana!

3. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Shralp - Although I have definite Republican leanings, especially in fiscal matters, I've taken this turn of events as a mixed blessing. I just hope Dubya does some good with it!

So far, his foreign policy is a little scary. I'm wondering if he's just motivated by the fact he's invested heavily in oil. One thing's for sure, he should be focused more on ending the Israeli/Palestinian conflict once and for all, and he should reign-in Sharon a bit. I saw yesterday that Sharon wants the US to attack Iraq, THEN Iran! I'm hoping this is just tough talk, and not becoming policy!

I'm leaning toward the gulp....French viewpoint (and Russians) that we should continue to use diplomatic pressure and inspections against Iraq, and get U.N. support prior to any use of military force. As for Iran...I don't know where that came from! Then it really does become an Islam thing...and that is bad!

I haven't heard about it for a while...and I'm hoping it doesn't crop up again; Star Wars Missile Defense. It was Bush's big deal when he came in, but after 9/11 he toned it down a bit. Instead of a fantastical missile defense program, we should step up human intelligence gathering and infiltration of terror organizations.

I think that would be a better use of reseources, since it's doubtful a nuclear war will be started by nations firing missiles at us. It'll be folks sneaking in nukes and dirty bombs and detonating them at seaports and such. Better to have people on the ground inside to stop that sort of thing!

I think I'll stop here...Politics gets me all fired up!!1

4. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Let's hope they do something positive with it. Lower taxes, smaller government, appointing qualified judges. My only concern is the environment.

5. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Funky ... ever see an oil field in Alaska? You'll never see a more clean area.

I think the envoirnment is in good hands ... not fanatical hands!

6. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Man, I can't understand how anybody can be happy about that, but nevermind. Just explain to me this one thing, Mathetais: How can Gun control be bad? Considering this entire Sniper-incident...

7. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh woe, now evil forces truly rules the most powerful nation in the world. The children will starve on the streets of DC and the missiles rain death upon anyone that gives the US an askew glance. It is time to brace oneself for a long winter for the human race.

8. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

Ouch, joac - that hurts!!

9. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Come on, kids! Let's have some liberal fun!

First, $50 says that not a single child starves to death in DC in the next year. Care to take that one, Joa?

Second, another $50 says that the DC sniper violated existing gun laws. Put your money where your mouth is, Firestorm!

Third, who wants to loan Joacqin and Firestorm $50 each?

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Perhaps not this year or next Shralp even though DC is a big city and some kid is bound to starve to death for whatever reason on the streets but that wasnt my point. My point was that the Republican is on a path that will lead to children starving on the streets in the future. Every taxcut in the states is absurd in my eyes as the chasm between people is already mileswide and is bound to get wider with the current leadership. I just cant see that as a good thing even though apparantly many does. In my eyes it is completely imoral and unethical and only serves to put more food on already overfull plates.
    On the bet I think it would be hard to control if a kiddy starves to death but I *know* that there are children that starve, perhaps not to death but not far away.

11. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

We track those things here. I'm stating definitely that no kid will starve to death in DC next year. You gonna take that bet, sweetcheeks?

And the gap between rich and poor really doesn't matter.

What matters is helping the poor regardless of how rich others are.

So come on. Make your doomsday predictions about what will happen with two years of GOP control. You want to pick economic indicators? I guarantee you that GDP will rise, even if adjusted for inflation. How about unemployment? I guarantee you it will be better after two years of GOP control. Same with median household income.

Come on, you liberals of the world! Give me your predictions! This is your chance to make some money off me! Pick a measurable indicator and make a bet!

[ November 06, 2002, 17:47: Message edited by: Shralp ]

12. Firestorm

Shralp: I am sure that none of this was ever meant as a personal attack, so no reason to get upset.

And I used the Sniper-incident as an example of how bad it can go when everybody have free acess to guns (exaggerated, I know) But it was just to help me state that I believe guns should be for authority only (ie. police). I can never understand how old grandma Irene will ever have the need for a weapon. But it might just be becasue of the differences between our societies, I don't know.

13. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] Please don't mess with the right to bear arms...It's an American thing. I don't own a gun myself, but I support the right to being able to go and get one whenever I choose!

It just one of those things you have to live with - 90% of gun owners use them for hunting or target shooting, or don't use them at all. But part of living in America is accepting the fact that you still have to look out for that crazy 10%!!!

As for Shralp's comments, I tend to agree with him...I'm thinking things are looking up overall.

14. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Firestorm, I'm not upset; I'm having fun!

Well, and trying to make some money off of people. :1eye:

Anyway, no worries, my friend.

15. The Deviant Mage Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Due to the Republican victory, I am fleeing into the Dakota badlands until the 2004 elections.

Fortunately, I'll be able to bring a gun. There's a Republican representative giving them away outside of my dorm. :rolleyes:

16. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Then you get into the whole right to have rights thing, and long as the ability to purchase guns is controlled (which, for the most part, it is) then the right to bear arms shouldn't be an issue. And c'mon, most people who purchase guns with the intent of harming people don't just wander into their local arms depot and pick up a sniper rifle...
    I'm just glad that there is a majority party again. Whether you agree or disagree with the Republican party, you have to admit that all a mixed house/senate did was undermine itself. At least something, good or bad, will get done. And yes, Dubya's foreign policy is a little bit worrisome, but I truly think it's just bravado. I guess we'll see.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    If she doesn't then she won't have one. It's not like the right to own a weapon mandates that you have one... :rolleyes:

And Bel, how can you knock Star Wars? THEL just shot down an artillery round IN-FLIGHT! Is that not cool!?

[ November 06, 2002, 19:04: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

18. Mathetais Gems: 28/31

Exactly. The second amendment is what promises that the first amendment won't be taken away.

Check out this story ... http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,65889,00.html

One of the many great statments made:
    Stricter gun laws won't stop crime, they'll only increase blackmarket activity and keep law-abiding citizens from protecting themselves.

19. Sir Belisarius

Media:
    [​IMG] BTA - I didn't say that Star Wars is not viable...Well, maybe I did a little. I meant that any nuclear war to happen in the future will probably be started by some rogue terrorist group that plants one on the ground....Not fires one at us from halfway 'round the world.

Ain't no Star Wars program ever created that'll stop a car nuke!

20. Firestorm

Math: I know that isn't true. Because In my country we are very strict regarding guns, and we have never had any of those weaknesses or problems you mention. And AFAIK there have never been a principal genocide in Denmark. (WW2 meant only to assimilate us)

[ November 06, 2002, 21:04: Message edited by: Firestorm ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.