1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dialogues in the Witcher Edited in English Versions

Discussion in 'The Witcher Series' started by chevalier, Nov 20, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    A lot of the dialogue text is out in the English versions and it doesn't seem to be for crudity as was the case with some model reskins (e.g. dryads being made more modest). In fact, it looks more like losses in translation. In a way, this confirms my opinion of the developer's claim of "professional translation" - those guys are Poland's main and leading publisher of games and while nearly every box carries the label of, "professional Polish translation made by CD Projekt," the reality is that it leaves much to be desired, to the point of disappointing and embarrassing lexical confusion (office and authority, lieutenant and colonel, those are not quite pairs of synonyms).

From wiki:

Localization variations
    All the female portrait cards shown after Geralt's "conquests" were retouched to a more modest standard for the US release version. The in-game Dryad was also reskinned so her hair covered more of her body in this release.

Colorful dialogue between characters was cut in the English releases — not merely the US release — especially through shortening of dialogue. Writer Sande Chen has disputed claims by fans that this was due to the sometimes crude language, but that it happened due to losses in translation. Proof reader Martin Pagan that noticed this during his work has theorized that it may have been done for voice acting cost savings, especially since much crudity remains and it also normally happened through shortening of dialogue, even in cases where no major crudity was involved.

Link

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Just part of localization "efforts" I guess... only that for once, a well-selling game was retouched for the US market, instead of the usual butchering for the European market by incompetent localization agencies. And as far as I heard, with infamous lines like "dwarf c**k" (yes, it's what you think it is) cheerfully left in the US Witcher dialogues, they obviously haven't toned it all down...

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    So they've actually managed to mistranslate the dialogue, make it more bland, and keep all the crudity in? That's impressive.

For once (just once) I'd like to see an official video game translation that's not laughable. I know, translating isn't easy, but all they'd need really is someone familiar who's native language is English (or whatever the target language is) to read through the translated script and make sure it actually makes sense. There was a French adventure game some years ago that was translated (and dubbed) into English. The translation was awful, and the voices made it atrocious.

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I guess that's what happens most of the time. I've heard that the German translation of Vampire: Bloodlines was terrible. I've only been able to properly compare 1 translation - that of Heroes IV (one of the few games I've seen a Bulgarian version of) - and it wasn't exactly impressive.

By the way, are there any chances that an unofficial patch may restore some of the original graphical content?

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't available already. Nudie modifications are always the first things that get made. :lol:

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

Nothing surprising here, especially concerning the US version. Everything has to be "modest" there it seems.

7. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yup, the language of the characters in books is often a very realistic dialect of mercenaries or thugs. It's not worse than realistic, but realistic it well is. ;) I can see very well why the game should be 18+, although the books seem to aimed at teenagers more like. Even if they tend to be a bit like 18+ films. Maybe they have it easier because they're books.

8. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I appreciate the dialog. The crude language and funny sexual comments fit in well in a tavern scene. The adult content makes the game a lot more playable for me even if I do have to make sure that my 9 yr old son isn't around when I'm talking to driads.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.