1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Diablo II single player questions

Discussion in 'Diablo 1 & 2' started by dmc, Jul 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I think Bonehew is a much better choice for your merc than your barb. In fact, I have used Bonehew as a merc weapon with very good results. The bone spear does activate on merc attacks.

For as dumb as this sounds, bone spear is physical, not magical damage, so it won't help you out against PIs. Additionally, the charges of CE will be a seriously nerfed version compared to what you got from the necro. You'll get a decent area of effect, but remember that CE does half fire, half physical damage, and so the damage was greatly enhanced by having Amplify Damage on your enemies. So it will work, but with far less efficacy than you had with a necro. In Hell monsters have 50% resistance to physical damage automatically, so Amp took them to -50%, so the physical damage will be 1/3 compared to what you got from a necro, and if they are fire immune, it won't do much at all. That still leaves prevent monster heal, and that works just as well if your merc is using it as if you were.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Actually, I don't believe that prevent monster heal works for mercs. Plus, I've become pretty wedded to Hone Sundan for the merc, at least until I find a Reaper's Toll.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I forgot you were using Hone Sudan - best merc weapon in the game.

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, after some additional thought, I think I'm leaning towards the Bonehew.

Several reasons:

Of the mauls, the Windhammer is best, but I can't use it until level 84, which basically means I'm not using it through 90% of the game. Cranium basher isn't fast enough and I've calculated that my resistances are going to be fine without needing on-weapon resists. Bloodtree Stump is out for the reasons you mentioned.

Also, if I go the maul route, I need to invest a LOT of stat points in strength, which will short-change my vitality. Poleaxes like Bonehew have a much smaller requirement and, even when you add in the dex I will need to add to use the weapon, the total point investment is still less than the mauls, leaving me more room to place stats where needed. (Also, the dex investment won't be a complete waste because it still serves to incease AR -- although the strength invested in maul does increase damage).

The one thing that the mauls have that is really sweet is, of course, CB. However, if I wear Goblin Toe/Gores and use a crafted blood gloves with 10%CB, the fact that I am going to hit so many times with the whirl means that the CB is probably good enough without any on-weapon CB.

Those are my thoughts for now. I may change my mind, as I intend to max shout before I decide on a weapon. I'll take Bonehew out for a spin (pun intended) to see how I like it.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    :confused: According to the wiki site, the level requirement on Windhammer is 68 (Linky) - so that should be available to you by late nightmare. To be honest, I never even looked at the level requirements until you brought that up just now. I agree that Level 84 would be really freakin' high, and there are some pieces of equipment that have level requirements even beyond that. I typically don't hit level 84 until Act IV or V in Hell, so by the time you have the levels to use it, the game is pretty much over. I also checked and the Cranium Basher has a level requirement of 87!

You are also right that whirl barbs using mauls do have some attack rating issues if they don't get significant bonus AR from their equipment. Because the strength requirements of the top flight mauls are so high, most characters using them leave their dexterity at base. Two Raven Frosts are actually quite common for maul using barbs. The only time you won't have an issue with attack rating is if you use the IK set. All of the partial set bonuses on the set are bonus attack rating. Starting with the second piece the bonuses are 50, 75, 125, 200, and 450 for the full set. They are also all cumulative, so a barb decked out in full IK regalia will have +900 to AR, which of course will be multiplied by his bonus to mace mastery and his attack skill of choice.

The point is, unless you already have equipment picked out that is going to supply you with a fair amount of bonus attack rating, perhaps mauls are not the best choice. I wouldn't worry about your life pool - there's no such thing as a barbarian with too little life (graned, you can never have too much, but even with a little over 100 in vitality your life pool will be around 2000). Battle orders will more than double your life total, and once you get a fairly high level shout you actually don't get hit that much. However, having a low attack rating is definitely something to be concerned about. While a barb with a big freakin' maul looks really cool, if he only hits 50% of the time, he's not going to be kicking nearly the amount of ass as you'd like.

Then again, while I have never had a barb use Bonehew, I imagine it has the scythe animation, so there is definite potential for bonus style points there. Come to think of it, I've never had a scythe-wielding WW Barb, but that could be really cool looking too. I liked my WW spear barb up to the point I played him. (I will go back to that character after aquiring another Pul rune. I only had one Pul in my stash and I used it to up Fleshrender for my druid. Sometimes, I wish you could downgrade runes. I would like to be able to trade in an Um for two Puls.)

6. dmc

Media:
    I think I mixed up Windhammer and Cranium Basher then. I'll try Windhammer and Bonehew and figure it out. I'm not that impressed by looks and style points.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I got Khalim's relics last night - my merc got crushed again in our attempt to retrieve the Black Book. Close quarters with no where to retreat to make poor fighting position. I don't think my character has died in Hell difficulty yet, which is quite the accomplishment.

I must concede that my two favorite builds up to this point are the high life builds - the barbarian and druid. Nothing compares to the necro in terms of straight survivability, but the hands off approach of the necro is not particularly satisfying.

8. dmc

Media:
    Tried out Bonehew last night. Whew! I put a 15% IAS jewel with 10% damage to mana and a 15% IAS jewel with about +45 to AR in it. Trotted out to the last stone of Act IV Nightmare, and just decimated everything in my path on players 8. My poor merc was giving me nasty glares because I killed everything before he could get a swing. Hmm - pack of uglies over there, TP to say hello and goodbye. Very fast and very satisfying. Diablo didn't last long eithe, although the merc at least got to hit him a couple of times.

I checked my Windhammmers by the way and they had the level requirement you posted, but the first one had an Item level of 84, which simply meant I had looked at the wrong thing. Whatever. I have a level or two to go to see if the windhammer can keep up with the Bonehew.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Are two +15% IAS jewels adequate to get you to the LWWBP? Seems a little light to me. I thought you needed -70, but it's been a while since I read Rik's guide so maybe not. Bonehew is, I think, the highest damage polearm available in the game, so it certainly is a solid choice.

As I already admitted, I have never play tested any of these options, and I'm only making comparisons based on what I see on paper. If you get both weapons down to the LWWBP, then based on average damage, Bonehew will out damage Windhammer, disregarding Crushing Blow. I don't know the exact % damage modifiers on your weapons, but Windhammer has a higher minimum, but significantly lower max than Bonehew. Windhammer is about 200-350 base damage, whereas Bonehew is about 100-600 base. The question becomes is Windhammer faster? We know we can hit the LWWBP with Windhammer - it needs another 20% IAS, so a Shael will do it. If Bonehew is at the next to LWWBP, the average damage difference is not so great that Windhammer couldn't catch up by hitting more, and then the CB would push it over the top.

On the other hand, the range is greater on Bonehew. All the Mauls and Great Mauls have a range 3, and polearms typically have a range of 4. (I'm pretty sure only spear class weapons have range 5.) I know you're going to play test them anyway, I'm just trying to figure out based on the stats which one is the superior choice.

10. dmc

Media:
    In the interest of figuring out all of this stuff, here goes:

Bonehew
    Ogre Axe
    Two-Hand Damage: (103-117) To (536-609) (319.5-363 Avg)
    Required Level: 64
    Required Strength: 195
    Required Dexterity: 75
    Durability: 50
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    +270-320% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    Level 14 Corpse Explosion (30 charges)
    Prevent Monster Heal
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    50% Chance To Cast Level 16 Bone Spear On Striking
    Socketed (2)
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

Thus, it starts at -30 on the speed meter and I only need another -30 to get to fastest speed on the weapon. Thus, the two jewels do it (I generally prefer this way, because I at least get a little extra -- two shaels is a waste and all they do is add speed with no other perks). It comes with the two sockets already in it, so no wasted socket quest.

I'm not at home so I can't check, but I think I have a near-max ED on the Bonehew.

Windhammer
    Ogre Maul
    Two-Hand Damage: (215-254) To (296-349) (255.5-301.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 68
    Required Strength: 225
    Durability: 60
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    +180-230% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    50% Chance of Crushing Blow
    60% Increased Attack Speed
    33% Chance To Cast Level 22 Twister On Striking
    +50% Damage To Undead
    (Only Spawns In Patch 1.10 or later)

This start at +10 and the -60 gets you within 10 of fastest speed It doesn't have a socket, so you need to waste a socket quest on it.

Again, not at home, but at least one of my Windhammers is near the top of the ED range. The CB is a definite plus, but not make or break given that my equipment adds CB of at least 25%, so the multiple hits that the whirl provides helps in that area. Plus the merc uses Hone Sundan, which means a whole bunch of CB for bosses.

The better minimum damage is seriously offset by the sick max that Bonehew offers.

It just looks like Bonehew is going to be better, but I'll take out the Windhammer when I am able to do so and see how it plays.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    That's where I went wrong. I thought it was -70 for maxed speed on whirlwind - I really need to re-read Rik's guide. I definitely agree that if you can get to the best speed with IAS jewels with a second modifier on them that is definitely the way to go. The ultimate jewel would be one that added IAS and %ed (they do exist). Of course, even if you didn't have particularly great modifiers, they would at least give you something, whereas Shaels just give IAS.

I also agree that if you already have some CB on your other equipment, Windhammer definitely loses some of it's luster. At that weapon speed, you'll be doing multiple hit checks per second, so it's not like there's going to be a problem with CB activating, especially on bosses, which is where you need it most. Throw in the bigger range on Bonehew, and it's seemingly a no-brainer. I'm not even sure I'd spend a socket quest on Windhammer and perhaps would consider saving it for another character. (Then again, you have extra socket quests. The weapon comes socketed, you aren't using a shield, and your helm is already socketed, so the only piece of gear you have that needs to be socketed is the body armor.)

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Damn it all. Tried to finish Act III last night, got all the way to Travincal, killed off most of the council including the member who was carrying the flail, only have one of the council members (the one that automatically spawns immune to fire) get cursed and physical immune as his random mods. So I had to save and exit - I love my Fury/Fire Claws druid, but I'm SOL when I run into something immune to fire and physical.

13. dmc

Media:
    Your merc's weapon doesn't do any other elemental damage?

14. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Nope he uses a triple Amn'ed Hone Sudan - leaches life like crazy.

15. dmc

Media:
    Ahh. I think you are SOL unless you have several hours and charms that do other sorts of damage. Could you imagine sitting there with a +100 poison charm, a +3-5 cold charm and misc. other crap and just pounding on him? Be pretty comical in a super-nerd sort of way. :p

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, there's always PowerWord: Save and Exit. The only pre-set mod is immune to fire. Chances are I won't get immune to physical as well when I play next time. I was just compaining - it's not like I'm done with this character.

17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Huzzah! Finally got to Act IV. I seem to be progressing somewhat faster with this character than others. I'm just level 81 - and I seem to remember being somewhat higher in level at this point in the game. Not a ton, but like level 85 or so.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Pissed off - finished Act IV and started Act V with my druid this weekend. However, my Hellforge quest earned me a Hel rune, which I think is the lowest you can get on hell difficulty.

19. dmc

Media:
    Sorry, but them's the breaks in this game. You can do Countess runs to amass runes to upgrade the Hel to pretend that you got a better drop. :p

I'm inching my way towards the end of Nightmare with the Barb. Level 69, going to rescue Anya. Bonehew rocks so much better than Windhammer that it's not funny. Plus, after I made up my mind, I put my level up point into Polearm mastery for a sweet boost.

20. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Got through the second quest in Act V. Only played for a bit yesterday, and not much at all in the past week as I was travelling for Thanksgiving. Spent my socket quest on Jalal's Mane and stuck a ptopaz in it. I don't have much mf for this character, but that should take me to about 100.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.