1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Devices go off in London again

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Son of Bhaal, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

The "ineffectual bombs" thing seems like a bad idea to me; especially now that they have pictures of the bombers on tape, and the bombs themselves available for forensic analysis. More likely, it seems to me, to screw up the bomb design, given that they were probably manufactured in someones bathtub or some such. And the fact that none of them exploded might point to them having been designed at the same time by the same person, who made a systematic mistake in all four bombs.

2. Yulaw9460 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran

Media:
    Okay, President Bush just visited Copenhagen...
    Makes you wonder about the "new target" bit...

3. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Al-Qaida(sp?) has actually made an official warning targeted especially at Denmark and Italy, saying that these countries should be on the lookout for future terrorist attempts.
    So, yes. We should expect attacks in Copenhagen, and personally I believe that it's only a matter of time before something happens, with us having been involved in both Afghanistan and Iraq.

4. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    it gets better, the man the police shot wasnt a bomber

5. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Well, why would he be running? The last thing I would do, if I had a brigade of bacon chasing after me with guns, is run. Anyway, Britain and America have disrupted the s*** out of the Middle East, why should they get off scot-free? It was only going to be a matter of time before this suicide bombing started over here, it's a shame innocent people have to get caught in the middle of it, but there are plenty of innocent people in Iraq that have had their lives taken away/disrupted, due to the British and American presence there.

6. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Maybe he panicked? Either way, 5 shots to the head is overkill.

7. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    What could they have done? They approached him and told him to freeze, he turned, ran, jumped over a ticket barrier then ran onto a train. If he'd have been carrying explosives he could have set them off at any minute. Ok so he wasn't. But why run when told by the police to freeze? The police aren't at fault here, they were doing there job, as grim as that might seem.

I'm afraid I don't feel sorry for the dead man at all.

He ran from armed police, vaulted a barrier and headed towards a tube train at a time of increased panic and upgraded security.
    He had it coming. Anybody with half a brain would realise that was the wrong thing to do.

8. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'm confused as to why someone lying on the floor and apparently offering no resistance was shot, according to eyewitnesses, five times in the head.

9. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    They thought he was a terrorist and when it comes to terrorists no rules apply, they are not human beings and ought to be shot on sight. It is a cheap price to pay if you happen to shoot someone who perhaps wasnt a terrorists because he could have been and it is better to not take any risks. Heck, we should just shoot anyone that is a little dark, just to be on the safe side.

10. Barmy Army

Media:
    Oh yeah, that looks pretty brick wall, SatansBedFellow.

So a police officer approaches you, weapon raised.

Shouts

"Police. Stop. Get on the floor."

What do you do?

A) Leg it
    B) Tell them to f*** off
    or
    C) Do exactly what they say

It's a hard questions I'm sure you agree.

11. Shoshino

Shoshino Irritant Veteran

Media:
    this man was simply late for his train

12. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

What happened to warning shots? Or are police in Britain not forced to use those before they actually shoot towards the man? Anyway from all I've heard it looks like the police seriously screwed up in this case.

13. Barmy Army

Media:
    Warnings shots for someone who is potentially strapped to the bollocks in explosives? Are you for real?

14. Morgoroth

Oh please. If they had the opportunity to tell him to freeze they most certainly had the time to shoot a warning shot. Shoot first and confirm afterwards is a very bad strategy for the police. You're going down a very slippery slope when you're saying that normal procedures do not need to be followed when dealing with possible "terrorists" especially when afterwards it turns out that they were innocent.

15. Barmy Army

Media:
    Don't be ridiculous. You don't mess about in these kinds of situations. And anyway, a warning shot in a busy tube station? Stop being stupid.

16. Morgoroth

So they can't shoot a warning shot but they can shoot actually towards the tube station on a man? Wonderful logic you got there. And yes I agree one should not mess with these situation but obviously the police did as an innocent man is dead. ;)

17. Barmy Army

Media:
    Are you for real?

To quote ITN news report - 'Mr Menezes emerged from a house in Tulse Hill, south London, on Friday morning that was under surveillance because of a suspected link to the attempted bomb attacks. His clothing and behaviour added to the officers' suspicions, police said.
    He caught a bus to Stockwell Tube where he was challenged by officers, who told him to stop. The man then bolted down an escalator, according to witnesses.

Asked if police instructions were to shoot to kill suspected suicide bombers, he (CC Blair) said: "Correct. They have to be that." "It's still happening out there, there are still officers having to make those calls as we speak ... Somebody else could be shot," Blair said.
    If a suicide bomber is merely wounded "he can massacre in his final seconds of consciousness"

I've highlighted a segment. That's all the evidence the police, in that instance needed.

Take your pick. One man dead, be he innocent or guilty, or potentially 10, 20 or 30 dead.

PLUS, the guy was on the floor when the police shot the life out of him. So there was no risk of hitting anyone other than the suspected bomber.

Now stop being an idiot.

18. Morgoroth

The guy was from Brazil, did he even know English? Or he could have just panicked. If the police were so worried about him blowing up himself then why did they even tell him to stop? Why not shoot outright without asking questions? That would certainly minimize the threat. The fact still remains though that there was no threat.

If shooting suspicious people becomes a habit you'll have a lot more than just one innocent man dead.

Which only adds to me believing that the police used excessive violence WAY too excessive violence.

If to you being reasonable means being an idiot then no I won't stop being an idiot. I would appreciate if you stopped the name calling though and concentrated on discussing the issue.

19. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    The bomber Jermaine Lindsay (Jamal) who set off the King's Cross bomb was in my brother's class at school. My brother is stood next to him in the school photo. Scary.

20. Barmy Army

Media:
    I would not 'name call' if you actually checked your facts before you stood on the soap box.

The guy had lived in London for over years and spoke perfect English.

You have no idea of the security situation in London right now.

If he decided to try and run away, after a 'STOP! POLICE!' warning from armed policemen, then it is one less idiot in the world in my opiniom; or, he was guilty of something.

Either way, the police were doing their job.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.