1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Designated Religion Argument Thread

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Yirimyah, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    NOG -

No, see, what you have observed is what you do understand. You understand what your senses tell you.

What you may not know/understand are the causes of the phenomena that were observed.

What science does is either say: "I don't know. Hey! That would make for some great research to find out through further observation!" or "This can be explained in terms of things we already have observed and know about."

What religion does is say: "Oh that's easy. God did it because God is responsible for everything."

So then, what is the major difference? One is useful in terms of explanatory/predictive power and one is not.

2. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Blackthorne:
    One, just because you observe something doesn't mean you understand it by any means. Did the Greeks understand lightning? No, all they knew was it was a bright light that came from the clouds and destroyed stuff. That's not what I'd call understanding.
    Two, last I checked, the first step in research is to propose a plausible idea, or theory. Then, and only then, can you perform the experiments to gain further observations and test the theory.
    Ragusa:
    I never said religion and science were actually the same thing, just that they had surface similarities. Also, just because we can't prove or disprove an idea doesn't mean it's wrong or invalid.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Absolutely untrue. Many great discoveries have occurred through serendipity. Quite often a result will be unexpected and the research goes in an entire new direction. Many solid theories have been based/validated on the results of seemingly unrelated experimental results -- such as quantum theory.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    As I said: You understand what your senses tell you. The Greeks understood lightning in terms of what they knew at the time. We understand lightning in terms of what we know at this time, which is a great deal more because of our greater observational sophistication and knowledge base.
    You better check again then. One does research in order to answer a question one has, not to test a theory (unless of course that is the question: Will the current theory continue to explain these new observations?).

You have a really backward notion of what science is. You seem to think people make up random stuff and then do experiments to see if this random stuff is right. That is completely backwards. Science is about observing the world and then coming up with/adjusting useful explanations to match with what was observed so that this knowledge can be used to explain/predict what else you may find if only you went out and looked.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    NOG,
    religious arguing, which is deductive, and scientific arguing, which is inductive, are inherently incompatible schools of thought.

Science develops theories through inductive logic and then tests theories by generating predictions through deductive logic and verifying empirically those predictions.

The creationists and IDists basically fall back to 'Hmm, must be HIM again, amazing, let's pray some more' when they meet the limits of their understanding, or limits of what they are willing to accept in science, which is a sort of ... unproductive approach to research.

You cannot prove the existence of God, after all belief is about *faith*. But the IDists and creationists try to do that over and over again -- some 800 years after the medieval scholars engaged in the same exercise, with better results. No creationist or IDist ever came close to one Thomas Aquinas.

A faith-based approach doesn't get you anywhere in science, much less in a science class that is supposed to teach people scientific thinking.

6. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    T2Bruno:
    That's really a different issue.
    Blackthorne:
    Ok, I know your right, again I wasn't very careful about how I said things. My point, though, is that science still relies on creativity. When a scientist comes up with a theory, how often is it the only possible explanation for the observed phenomena? How often is it purely a logical process with no creative ideas at all. If this were true, you would only have to test your assumptions to prove your theory.

7. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah! Finally we can agree on something :) But, I think we are reaching different conclusions. I believe you are trying to say that because scientists use creativity in coming up with an explanation that adequately covers all observations to date, that all these explanations are no more useful than faith-based explanations. If this is true, I must disagree with you. Faith-based explanations are not useful (in terms of better understanding the natural world) because they make no predictions and cannot be used as the basis for other explanations; scientific explanations do and can, and so are very useful.

Also, it is very common to have competing explanations for what has been observed; it just so happens that at this time there is no credible competition for evolution. That just goes to show you how well evolution explains every observation related to it that has been made.

8. Woodwyrm Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Hay guys.

I'm a lazy agnostic who's interested in Buddhism, anyone know a book i should check before i decide??

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Ok, now I see our problem. This wasn't my idea at all. Scientific answers and religious explanations are two completely different things used to answer two completely different questions. Science asks and answers(or tries at least) the question "How?" Religion asks and answers(wrongly or not) "Why?" The connection here was because you, or someone, I think it was you, said that your problem with religion was that they just made stuff up. My point was science does the same thing, but scientists can check their theories and conclusions, theologians can never conclusively prove their evidence. The real problem here is with the aspect of repeatability. In chemistry, one reaction always proceeds the same way, so long as it is the same reaction. In religion, one prayer may never be answered the same way twice. If it was, you wouldn't be dealing with God or gods, but with formulae and equations. This is more like magic, real magic, than mainstream religions, and even that has problems with repeatability.

10. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I found this one, its a woman that describes anyone that is non-Christian as an athiest, even people that don't support Bush are athiests!

http://www.haywired.com/goldchrist/about.html

Here is a highlight, especially the last sentence:

11. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Cuchulainn, this is one whackjob out of a country of several hundred million people. She has no authority and no credibility - she can't even SPELL, for crying out loud! There's nothing to this woman other than faith and a website. Don't try to extend that into some sort of implication that a significant number of Americans actually think this way.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Cuchy-coo:
    Yeah, some people are :nuts:

@Rallymama:
    I don't see where Cuchulainn mentioned America, and I doubt that he was doing more than pointing out this sole woman's ridiculous views in order to prove the rule by noting the exception. Relax.

13. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Relax, I did not even say that a small percentage of the country was that way, never mind that website being a representation of Americans!

Why is it that Americans take offense to one of their citizens being criticized?

If you said Rory O'Connell from Sligo was crazy for killing his dog with a frozen turkey, I would not take any offense at all. Every country has their share of crazies, and the worst are ones that use religion to 'back-up' their views.

14. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

I'm always wary of people whom think of pets as people. That dog is pretty cute though...

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The woman is definitely crazy - and poorly informed to boot. There is nothing Satanic about Islam, and if she did some research, she would be surprised to find out the Hitler was actually fairly devout. Now I will grant that his actions were not very Christian in nature, but he went to Church almost every Sunday.

16. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Church does not equal Christian by any means, except possibly Catholics.
    Sorry to all the Catholics out there, but there's a lot of stuff in Catholicism that flattly contradicts the word of God and that really REALLY bugs me. I have no real problem with people having weird beliefs, but don't contradict your own god!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.