1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Deranged Ramblings #2 - Preparing to DM

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Rotku, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Been playing in a regular RP group for half a year or so (before then my only fray into RPGs were through computers). We've been playing a general Mongoose Traveler campaign, but our DM has asked if we can take a month or so break from Traveler. I put my hand up and offered to run three weeks worth of games (all that my schedule will allow). Having never GMed anything before, it's quite daunting. The very idea of having to know how a system works is my biggest weakness - the number side of things has never really interested me. But here's my planning so far:

Setting : a|state
    Sounds a real fun, gritty place. Just my sort of world. The rich live in large towers, with futuristic technology, while the poor live in Victorian era slums. While one group would carry gauss rifles, the other would be carrying flintlock. It's a brilliant setting - really amazing imagery. The core book really does bring the world to life in my mind.

Rule-set
    The rule-set is nice and light, which is perfect for me. I know that at least one in the group (maybe two) won't like it so much, as they're more into heavier rule-sets, but it's only for three weeks, so they'll have to just take in on the chin.

At it's most simplist the rules are a basic percentile system. Players choose an Up-bringing and Origins, which give different bonuses. They select skills and attributes, using a point buy system. Then select a basic arch-type (like a job) which determines as little as your starting money, or as much as your place and situation within the community (a big thing - the community is a very important aspect in the lower levels of society).

Campaign
    So with that all in mind, I had to put together a rough campaign idea. Gone and ripped apart a couple of modules - one a|state specific and one a steampunk d20 - and mixed them together. Aiming for something that can be closed off in three nights of game play, yet allows the opportunity to pick it up at a later date if we need to.

There are two main fronts to the game play. On one side, one of the communities have just been given a demolition order, by the "government" in charge of that particular burgh. The PCs have to weed their way through the bureaucratic nightmare that is the Three Canals Metropolitan Area Authority (TCMAA). Meanwhile, people have been disappearing around town - all young women, aged between 16-25. Their bodies turn up, discarded, a few weeks later, with wax residue all over their skin and a green hue from head to toe.

Just need to wait on the characters now.

Should be a fun few weeks. Might try and post up an After Action Report here as it goes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.