1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Denmark opens up a can of worms

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Pac man, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

The protestors in the UK should have been arrested on the spot, there shouldn't even have been long enough to take a photo of the signs they were holding.

I imagine those people were not born in the UK, simply because they would not be educated in such a manner unless they were home schooled. However there is a small chance they would be home schooled when they could recieve free education (I think) in a public school so their parents could earn more money.

Those people CAN be deported and should be deported. You don't like the law of a country? Are you a minority in your political views? Don't break the law, LEAVE!

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I read a few newsitems on the internet. the situation gets worse. Did you know that they sabotaged the fire trucks so that they could not put the fire out at the danish embassy. Can you believe that. One idiot got killed.

They demand respect but show non. It is time to stop all humanitairian aid and isolate them. for hao many decades have we tried to help them, and how much of our money have they really spent on housing and food. The western world just cannot cover it up with a peace blanket(money)and act if all is well over a week or so. What is it going to be next time?

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

You know what's really weird ? The riot police in countries like Syria and Lebanon usually deal very swiftly with a rioting mob, they don't hesitate to use extreme violence to get the situatoion under control, they even aim to kill sometimes, but not in this case. They are heavily armed, but still they let the protestors run rampant. The government must be silently agreeing with these outbursts, otherwise they would have ended it in a bloody fashion.

4. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Pac Man: That probably isn't the case. Whether or not a government agrees with the cause of a riot it is always in the government's best interest to stop it. After all, rioters break things and the government is going to have to foot the bill. I think the reason that Syria is being more careful is the constant spectre of potential US invasion. We've threatened them often enough that they probably figure we're just looking for any excuse at all to go to war with them. There's even precedent for it, from a certain perspective. Things didn't turn out the way we wanted in Afghanistan, so we invaded Iraq. Things haven't turned out the way we wanted them to in Iraq, so......

5. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I feel pretty pissed about this whole situation - especially after having being fed the 'Islam is a peace loving religion perverted only by a few extremist nutcases' line and believing it - sounds awefully like bull**** now. Or maybe that the extremist nutcases are not such a minority which we've been told.

6. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

I don't know about Lebanon, but you can bet that the regimes are behind the demonstrations. And if not, it is some imams (as in Indonesia).

What could be better than genuine anger used to "strike back" at the "western world". In Syria, in the occpuied territories in Palestine and in Iran, political leaders are under pressure. And the organized mob is an very old and gladly used instrument by these regimes.

7. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

Just talked 'bout it all with a friend of mine, he's from Libanon and a muslim on top of that. He himself thinks that because of the pause between the printings of the paintings (30th of september) and the start of the protests in the start of january, we have to look to the regimes to find those who would be interested in starting all this fuss. I tend to agree. As I mentioned before - in having an foreign object of hate the governments can divert the common, among most citizens of the middle east, dislike of their own regimes. The americans I think isn't all that sad about this fuss, since it draws - for a time being - the attention away from their engagement in Iraq and Afghanistan.

8. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I can't see this whole affair as an example of Muslems vs the West. I think it's a much more modern conflict (fundamentalist Islam being a relatively recent thing), and so much more rooted in specific current-day problems...

Otherwise, I just can't buy that these cartoons were really so transgressive of anything. It seems to me that drawings like this, illustrating Dante's Inferno (where Mohammed is shown ritually disemboweled for eternity in the 8th circle of hell) would be far more offensive... And no one has bothered trying to ban Dante for being offensive to Muslim sensitivities have they?

9. Shaitan

Shaitan Always forgive your enemies; it annoys them so

May I point to Tariq Ali for a more extensive understanding of Islam. There has been fundamentalists in Saudi Arabia since Mohammad for example. Go read it, it's quite good for some "domestic" critique on Islam.

10. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

11. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    A Danish newspaper offends them, so they try to storm a US airbase in Afghanistan?

Oh dear.

12. Drew

Media:
    Them being the entire muslim community, right?
    they being a small group of islamic extremists which is not representative of all Arabs or all muslims (especially considering that Arabs only comprise 22% of the worlds muslims), right?
    Agreed.

13. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    :lol: I would imagine "them" and "they" referred to those who attempted to storm a US airbase in Afghanistan and nobody else...

14. Drew

Media:
    That works. As long as them and they doesn't mean the entire muslim community, I'm a happy camper.

15. Pac man Gems: 25/31

Well, i certainly don't see any condemning from all the so called moderate muslims. They say they don't want to be associated with extremism, but they make little effort to prove us they actually do. A minority hijacks their religeon to use it as a flaming sword against all infidels worldwide, and they stand on the sideline and do nothing. Very convincing.

16. Drew

Media:
    They shouldn't have to prove anything because they shouldn't be subject to attacks or based on their religion or race in a civilised society. Ever.

17. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    BTA is correct. I'm quite aware that the entire Muslim community didn't try to storm a US airbase in Afghanistan.

I shudder to think of the logistics of such an exercise, were it to be attempted.

18. Pac man Gems: 25/31

yes they do, and certainly the ones that live among us. If there's an attack on civilians like in London recently, and the attackers were muslims, the muslim community owes the British community an explaination, and it better be a good one. They owe it to the British to let them know where they stand in this, what measures they are going to take to prevent any further attacks in the future. They need to raise their voice and condemn the attacks, and if they don't, then to me and many others it looks like they silently agree with the attacks, period.

And if that is the case, they have no business living in Britain whatsoever, and need to be ejected as fast as possible.

19. Drew

Media:
    When a postal worker shoots up a McDonalds I don't expect an apology from other post office employees. When a group of christians (the KKK claims to be a christian group) lynches a black man and burns a bi-racial couple alive in the name of God I don't expect an apology from christians. When Pat Robertson (who speaks for a great many christians in my country) says that Hurricane Katrina happened in New Orleans because there were sodomites there and Sharon's heart attack was the result of going back to the bargaining table with Palestine I don't expect an apology from Christians, either. Why are muslims different? Because we don't understand them as well?

20. AMaster Gems: 26/31

Media:
    Bah. Drew, you expressed what I was going to express, and did so more capably than I would have.

*grumble*

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.