1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Democracy in Action

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Carcaroth, May 5, 2006.

1. Carcaroth

Carcaroth I call on the priests, saints and dancin' girls ★ SPS Account Holder

Judging from the lack of topics on the disasterous week our beloved *cough* British government have had, I'm guessing people on here don't particularly care about British politics. No doubt this is even less for our local government but this might tickle your fancy.

Full Story

So thoughts and comments. Was this the fairest means of deciding? Possibly better than a penaly shoot out!

2. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

That's crackers and brilliant at the same time, it's nice to see a returning officer with a sense of humour. After all whatever method he decides to break a tie is valid.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    This is an outrage. Everyone knows ties are either settled by a coin flip if you are an adult or rock/paper/scissors if you are a child. I'm not sure which method is appropriate for a politician. :)

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Actually (I'll try and find a link) a similar thing happened in the U.S. this week, although it was in the primary, not the actual election. It finished in a dead even tie, and one of the canidates had two adult sons - old enough to vote - who didn't bother to go vote that day! :doh: He still may get in with a coin flip, put he must be really pissed at his sons.

On the current situation you mentioned, I really don't see anything wrong with it - it's the same 50/50 percetage you'd get with a coin flip. I can't possibly see how it could be thought of as an advantage to one canidate over the other.

5. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

dammit the pencil was rigged!

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

It would have been cheaper than going through all the BS with Florida like they did in 2000...

7. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    :lol: Gnarfflinger is right. More places should adopt the pencil run-off.

8. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Frankly I think both should engage in a 'gladiator' style combat. Remember that game show? Put them in big metal balls and have them run at each other. Or fight with padded staves on a floating log. I want my leader to be someone you can look up to as a physical specimen! Would be good entertainment to boot!

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    @Gnarff: Cheaper, yes, but Florida wasn't a tie. Gore got more votes.

10. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@Abomination:
    Didn't they do that in an episode of Saturday Night Live or Mad TV or something?

I like the gladiator thing, but it really ought to be an actual gladiator fight, like they had back in Rome. Sword and shield versus trident and net. :evil:

11. Gnarfflinger

Drew: Ultimately, he did have more votes, But I still think he could have taken 2 out of 3 from Gore in Paper/Rock/Scissors...

Abomination: I like your idea better. But I still think that George W. could have beaten Gore like a dog...

Now if one side runs Jesse Venture and the other Side runs Arnold Schwartzenegger, then that's a PPV Main Event...

12. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That's right. And thus far it's just about the only intelligent response on the latter part of this thread....

13. Gnarfflinger

I just thought the progression was the WTF responses then to bad jokes. I guess I need to work on my bad jokes...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.