1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Delurk - 1/2 Orc story

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Kailynne Johanne, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

End of slavery in Athkala

Duharrel began by wiping slimy alien blood and guts from his armor. Korgan just stood letting it dry. The battle with the Mind Flayers in the Temple sewers had drained the group, enough so that they didn’t even have the energy to exit the sewers. Instead, they headed back up into Mekrath’s old quarters and racked out there.

Hours later, to the rumbling of Duharrel’s empty stomach, the group began to stir. But before breakfast, there was one more item to take care of in the Temple District – checking out the rumor of new slavers setting up their headquarters in a guarded compound. So, through the sewers they went….and found the correct exit, just outside the compound.

Duharrel, never having understood this custom of knocking before entering, thrust open the door to the compound. Korgan nearly fell to the carpet inside as he HAD expected Duharrel to try the door and knock…Lucky thing Korgan did nearly sprawl out – his “ducked head” ended up below the missile-like sparks fired at him by a mage inside the door. For some reason, Korgan was affronted by that and charged blindly on, barely beating Duharrel to the spot where the mage stood – I should say, “had stood” as he teleported away immediately after firing the sparks at Korgan.

Viconia grabbed Duharrel from behind and stopped him from rampaging senselessly through the building’s interior. Instead, he stood while she and Aerie brought downthe blessings of the Almighties upon the group, called forth skeletons to augment the party and made plans to harmoniously work together should they be ambushed. Forward across a brad carpet the group went…suddenly confronted by two huge winged demons and a djinni.

Imoen was prepared for this, having cast a special magic upon herself that allowed her to utter a single word to unleash her power at triple its normal rate. As her fingers pointed at one demon, its knees buckled just as Duharrel’s club came crashing down upon it massive head. Jan too had targeted a demon. In a coordinated assault with Aerie, they too caused a demon to stop in its tracks, opening itself up to attack – this time by Korgan and a large skeleton. Viconia concentrated on the djinni, her prayers against his magic --- and her god was smiling on her!

And so it went, backliners teamed up with a tank, priests/casters matching their powers with abysmal creatures. Both sides nearly torched the building as they focused ethereal energies and unleashed that power against each other. Imoen wanted to cast that “Dry them up” spell, but the demon was pressing Duharrel fairly hard and she felt she didn’t have the time to “waste” – speed not power would prevail she was sure. On the other hand, Korgan’s group was having better luck with their nemesis, the demon was brought to its knees. But, the monster repeatedly evaded Korgan’s axes as they searched for a killing blow and it somehow resisted the magics meted out against it. Finally, Jan yelled at Aerie and she began sending spark after spark at the demon. Jan disappeared for a moment…suddenly reappearing behind the demon, with a poisoned dagger in his hand. The demon never saw what was coming as Jan drew the little blade across its neck.

Korgan rushed to help Duharrel as the skeleton headed for the djinni. Jan and Aerie also split their attentions, one toward the first demon and the other to team with Viconia. Again, the demon was overwhelmed by the sheer weight and experience of the party…It fell under the combined weight of high level magic and the non-stop rain of blows from axes and clubs. The djinni, seeing the demise of his compatriots, attempted to flee – oops, too late; the skeleton sent the djinni back to its plane of existence with extreme prejudice.

With few wounds to bind, the crew headed up the stairs only to be confronted by a group of ruffians led by the same irascible mage from downstairs. Imoen barely hesitated in throwing out a web. Viconia’s prayers produced a deathly silence in the midst of the enemy party though one of the opposing mages continued to mumble and gesture. Aerie backed up Viconia’s prayer and the irascible mage fell silent. Duharrel and Korgan unslung their seldom used bows and began to plink away at the ensnared opposition. Jan failed to detect a thief as he emerged from the shadows as the thief struck. Luckily for Jan, you remember, he is short and the thief’s attack was not mortal as he had to adjust the height of his short sword swing. Duharrel and Korgan immediately changed focus and the thief died trying to sneak back into shadows while drinking a potion. Imoen’s favorite spell, fireball, was cast time and again, exploding with a roar and causing the air to reek of burnt flesh.

So far, neither Duharrel nor any of his compatriots had moved from the top of the stairs. Yet, somehow, one of the enemy emerged from the web, crazed by the pain from his burns. Viconia’s voice keened and the crazed madman was struck from above by a flame extending from the roof through his body to the floor. It was over in a flash; the enemies all lay dead, defeated by sheer intensity of onslaught, low level spells and a mere three prayers. Unbelievable… the group of adventurers were nearly stunned at their recent successes after the difficulties with the aliens.

Next, well, what would you expect…looting and pillaging of the building followed, as did the requisite trip back to the Coronet to tell Hendak and try to drain his bar dry before heading back with the Rhynn Lanthorn.

------more as events warrant------------

2. drm Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

SO, ah.. you gonna do this kind of detail with each of the remaining battles? Good stuff but loooooooooooooong to read... man....

Well, anyway, Duharrel rules all! Screw Tiax!

3. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

The end

Duharrel and crew made their way back to Elthan, who finally led them to Suldenasselar. The city was under siege, rumors of a powerful mage as well as a dragon just outside the town were rampantly being spread by the few elven warriors not attempting to flee in panic.

Duharrel exchanged looks of determination with Korgan and Viconia then set off down the streets. One after another, they faced and slew evil creatures – skeleton warriors, golems, even rajahs and maharajahs. Finally, they came across a group of four golems – two stone and two iron.

Duharrel’s bullheadedness forced him forward, not even circling for a better opening before swinging his club and sword. Korgan barely trailed Duharrel’s headlong rush, enraged though he was. Viconia prayed that Duharrel’s brashness would not be the end of him and asked for skeletal allies…god complied. Jan, Imoen and Aerie conjured meteors and then – it happened.

Somehow, Duharrel had allowed himself to be flanked by both iron golems and one of the stone boys. Once, twice, three times – the golems pounded on Duharrel’s massive body. Duharrel screamed in pain as he staggered backwards, still swinging the club, but no longer in control of the sword. Korgan tried to come to his rescue, but was just a step slow. Duharrel swung the club as meteors began to rain down on the golems… Pandemonium seemed imminent… and then…

Duharrel fell, from a blow that he never saw coming. The stone golem had managed to loop a roundhouse to the side of Duharrel’s helmet, knocking him down. As he fell, one of the iron golems stomped on Duharrel’s midsection, rupturing his internal organs. The other iron golem quickly jumped into the air and landed – on Duharrel’s exposed neck… breaking it…

Game over… no saving throw.

So ends the honest tale of Duharrel the nearly magnificent ugly dude.

God speaking – throughout this game, I never once used SK or any other cheat, never resurrected Duharrel and never refought a battle simply to obtain a better outcome (like less damage or so an NPC didn’t die). Therefore, it would be dishonorable to continue the story after his demise though for TOB purposes, I will resurrect him and finish out SOA… Unfortunately, the story ends here however…

Sorry guys – raise your next beer in his memory.

4. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Why? Whyyyyyy? It cannot end like this! I shall not allow it!:sosad:

Duharrel is not dead. He shall live in our memories forever more.

A great story anyway, despite the ending.;)

5. drm Gems: 3/31

Aw man... (sounds of rummaging around in his character's backpack.... switches to scroll case....searches pockets..)Here...yeah use this..it's a Resurrection scroll man! Take my spare! Duharrel can't die!

I think this actually points up the most glaring flaw in the game - you can resurrect any of the NPCs (generally) but not themain character... Kinda sucks if you ask me..

I shall miss the trials and travails of Duharrel... Great story... horrible ending.

6. Fubini Gems: 3/31

If your PC didn't die once (no reloads) until chapter 7, you are to be commended for you gaming skills in addition to your storytelling. I always end up reloading at least a half-dozen times, usually due to plain bad luck. For example, some mages later on cast imprisonment, if they target your PC, you are just out of luck. Yes, you can try to kill them first, but if even one gets the spell off...

Or one bad save, and you could be petrified. Of finger of death, or disintigrate, or stunned/held/confused and beat down, etc.

You shouldn't be permanently dead unless your entire party is dead or incapacitated. I agree that that is one of the biggest flaws in the gameplay.

By the way, is this possible the longest thread ever on the SP boards? In terms of both number of posts and word count?

7. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Why must this always happen in stories featuring strong and not so bright Half-orcs. Ok cheers to him.

I agree though that you can easily reload and pretend he is dead and just play on. Don't make the same mistake as I did.

Anyway the one word story is longer in posts if it matters at all to someone :)

8. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Nobleman - what did you mean by "Don't make the same mistake as I did."???

But, thanks guys for the sympathetic comments. I am in a bit of mourning myself for Duharrel right now... First the WTC/Pentagon thing, no wthis.

To clarify, I didn't reload or use the Save/Autosave features to resurrect Duharrel at any time during the game. That was part of the fun - sort of like what the person who is/was(?) writing the "whatever happens/happes" thread indicated he was doing. Now that the story is ended, I will feel less restricted in doing so, but knowing it is available changes the feel while playing and also makes writing "a hero's story" somewhat moot.

But, thanks again for the comments.... Maybe in a few days or a week, I will start again, possibly with that all-dwarven Skald party I have in mind.

9. Wildfire Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

[​IMG] Wow! The story was great :D Just a shame he died so close to the end... :(

BTW Nobleman tried soloing with a Half-orc Wizard Slayer, but unfortunately, he got killed before he reached the end, just like you...
    read about it here: http://www.sorcerers.net/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002696.html

10. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Probably final update on Duharrel.....

Well, with just the one reload, Duharrel survived the encounter with the four golems - this time God didn't allow him to become trapped in between three golems simultaneously. Subesquently, he and the crew cleared the city of Suldenessaler of all of its foreigners. The dragon was dispatched most quickly via the use of Aerie's Vaihllor's Helm generated Simulcarum and three Morkainen's Swords. It almost wasn't a fight - almost, because the dragon did get off one insect plague, but only at a sword and Korgan.

They saved the Tree of Life and went to Hell.... Trials-wise, Duharrel took the following paths:
    Pride - Good
    Fear - Good
    Selfishness - Evil
    Greed - Good
    Wrath - Evil

So, in the end, those who thought he was essentially evil can feel good as that is now his allignment, though I stand by the gut feeling that either/or questions are not valid when other possibilities are (should) exist.

The Final Battle with Irenicus did involve a second reload... First time, Duharrel got stunned and hacked to death. Second time, Aerie's Simulacrum and four Mordakain's Swords did worlds of hurt on Balor's and the Slayer illusion. Fortunately, Duahrrel was mazed for most of the fight and this made sure he was alive at the end fo the fight...

So, in some ways, he won.... in others, he died before the final battle... Just thought ya'll might like to know.

And for what it's worth, I had read Nobleman's story... it was one of the inspirations for this one...

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited September 30, 2001).]

11. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] My story is not even worthy next to this one and that is that :mad: This is the best tale ever on SP and the best that ever will be.

Long live The spirit of true roleplaying :hurray:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.