1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Delurk - 1/2 Orc story

Discussion in 'Creativity Surge' started by Kailynne Johanne, Aug 29, 2001.

1. Fubini Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] Amazing story!!

From my perspective, it would probably be more in-character for the party to give the eggs to Adalon and get the heck out of Dodge. It kind of depends on how tough the fight in the city was. If the party just barely escaped, (and it sounds like this is the case,) Duharral's (sp?) self preservation instincts would make him want to see the surface as soon as possible.

However, the exit *is* actually in the Kuo-Toan lair, so the party might choose to explore there when Adalon takes them to the exit. They could find the Demogorgon statue and have some fun there.

Forgive me if I'm misinterpreting the characters, here, that's just my two cents.

Again, you rock!!

2. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Well, thanks for all the great comments. I am enjoying the writing of the story as much as it seem you guys are enjoying reading it.

One of the more fun things in this adventure is that there is a lot of "backstory" that is going on my my mind as I recall for you all what happened while I play. The added depth has made this one of the more entertaining games in all of the times I have completed it.

Lastly, I guess my storytelling isn't quite as good as I thought if anyone feels that Duharrel and crew had a tough time getting out of the city. In actuality, I was amazed at the lack of difficulty considering the odds and my previous experiences. Maybe I am just becoming a better player, or maybe this group just functions together really well. I am not sure. But, so far, the only truly, truly tough fights have been the dragons and they ALWAYS give me fits.

I'll probably add to the story while Bush is talking to the nation tonight...if not before.

3. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] Warharhar! <--- Laugh
    Great story :D

4. Nivek The Mad Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

[​IMG] aMAZING storytelling here! I mean, this stuff should be in the packaging liner notes to make sure shelf browsers actually BUY the game they have in hand! Outstanding job - kudos to your efforts, and best of luck to DUH! (As I've imagined him saying to himself 100 times during this adventure!)

5. Demitri Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] :eek: I thought he was a gonner :angel:

6. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Your story telling has really evolved Kailynne. Now it is easy to actually Imagine what is going on. The last posts have really enthralled me. good work indeed.

The underdark? It depends on the groups desire to see the light and the groups desire to investigate. I hope the group will discuss this important choice. Duharrel has really grown too. I hope he does well.

[This message has been edited by Nobleman (edited September 20, 2001).]

7. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

The Light - The Light - We can see the Light!

After the group had stripped off and gathered up all of the Drow equipment, they sold it to the innkeeper. With nothing left to do in the Underdark, they headed back to Adalon's lair. She proved as untrustworthy as all dragons, having withheld the information that the group could have found their way out on their own - something Edwina had consistently said throughout their time underground. Duharrel was ticked, but after Adalon teleported them into the exit area (she said), the group was immediately attacked by another group of stupid fishmen.

With no time to think about Adalon any more, the group began to hack and cast. Down went fishman after fishman. Following the "straight ahead" strategy, the group wended their way through the cave. At the end of the cave, the group came to what Viccy identified as a temple to the god of the fishmen. Edwina walked up to the largest statue intending to knock it over in her disgust. First, though, she spit on it (spit containing very small live creatures called bacteria).... Suddenly, the air shimmered in various parts of the temple and the air crackled with electricity. From the centers of five of these ares came horrible creatures, armored like men but with faces that even Duharrel cringed looking at.

The entire group ran for the door, though not quite fast enough in Korgan's case. He passed to close to one of the demonic apparitions and was overcome by its powerful aura. He lost all self-control and began running in circles. This turned out lucky for the rest of the group as they all made the safety of the door and closed it behind them. Korgan was left on its own, left for dead actually, though his life force was still strong within him. Korgan's speedily booted feet took him all over the inside of the temple, he visited each corner in his panicked state. But he could make no sense of why he was running or how to overcome that feeling. The five armored fiends relentlessly stalked Korgan who didn't even take the opportunity to swing his axes at the demons as he passed them. Eventually, they caught up with him, a sword cut here, another there. Battered, bruised and bleeding, Korgan regained his senses just in time to be aware of three two handed swords striking his body simultaneously. He collapsed lifelessly to the floor.

As Korgan fought for his life, Duharrel led the group back the way they had come, then turned right at a junction. He had found a narrow passageway where only he would be exposed while the casters could hide behind him. Only one problem, at the end of that passage aa room was occupied by three globed creatures floating in the air. With a battlecry of pure rage, Viccy joined Duharrel in a headlong charge at the largest of the globes. Imoen made those two move faster while Edwina got in position to assist and Aerie began to chant and pray. Emboldened, the charging pair soon had only two smaller targets left and had been joined by Aerie's summoned skeletons. The two small globed creatures were tough, again and again spitting and spewing horrible fluids and semi-fluids onto Viccy. She eventually collapsed though Duharrel continued to fight. Edwina waved her hands and unleashed the most powerful spell in his repetoire... One gauth down but Duharrel was tiring and weakened. Aerie came to his aid while Imoen and Edwina caused barrage after barrage of sparks to fly from their hands at the gauth. Its screams of pain rent the air and it began to run - but had nowhere safe to flee. With one last burst of energy, Duharrel chased down the floating ball of evil and ended its miserable life.

What were they going to do now? The room they found themselves in had no door to bar. Korgan was dead. Duharrel was tired. They had no choice, they couldn't stay here.

So, back dwon the passway and left they went only to find themselves back in the large cavern of The Underdark! What a bitch that dragon had been. They had passed this "entrance/exit" numerous times in recent days. They could have left much earlier. Duharrel began to get really really mad.

Viccy pulled out the stick that had so often served to restore life. She knelt and prayed as she had seldom before done. Aerie joined her, learning a new prayer and drawing upon her own connection to ultimate powers. Somehow, the gods granted Viccy and Aerie's wish - Korgan's body appeared lifeless on the groun before them. Viccy raised the stick, mumbled unnatural words and touched the dwarf with it. He gasped and choked his way back into the plane of prime materials.

The group had no choice but to return to the svirfneblin inn to reequip Korgan and allow him and Viccy to rest and recuperate. So, they did.

Before they headed back out in the morning, Edwina showed Korgan and Duharrel a plan she and Aerie had devised. Aerie had been wearing this heavy helmet that Edwina had determined had the magical property of being able to almost duplicate the wearer and all of his/her equipment. So, now it was just a matter of taking advantage of that while setting an ambush. They needed to recover Korgan's armor and axes you know.

Back through the exit they trudged, dreading the battle to come. Korgan had told them of the fear that had permeated his body. Viccy and Aerie prayed hard for the group as they set up their ambush down behind the doorway at the end of that narrow hallway (where the floating globes had been). Edwina sped up Duharrel and Korgan and Duharrel was sent off to lure a demon back to the trap. He reached the door and flung it open only to find all five of them standing there.

Even the dim of wit realizes when he is outnumbered and Duharrel was dumb, not stupid. So, the situation played itself oout perfectly, Duharrel fleeing down the passage and one of the knights chasing. Six (well, niine if you count the armored skeletons Viccy had managed to convince her god to grant her) against one are seldom good odds for the one being attacked. But it was still a vicious battle - the knight's two-handed sword repeatedly swinging as fast as Korgan's axes (not his good ones, but spares Duharrel had carried in a special bag) and Duharrel's club and sword. The balance was finally tipped by Edwina flinging sparks at the knight. The tactic had worked! Now to do it again... and again...and again...and again.

One after the other, the demon kights were sent packing, back to their planes of Hell somewhere. Finally, the group was able to reenter the temple and recover Korgan's good axes. While he repaired the dents in his recently lost armor, Edwina went with Imoen to recover the swords that the demons had used. They found that one of the demons had worn very special armor and a very unusual belt. They dragged the heavy loot back to the temple and showed it to Duharrel who found the belt to small for his waist.

Korgan tried it on and found that it fit. He also found that his old armor was not repairable but that he could adjust to fit him the armor that Ed and Immy had recovered. So they were whole again.

Back down the dungeonways they went, eventually finding themselves back at the point where Adalon had abandoned them. Duharrel swore a curse against all dragons before heading through an opening in the cave wall that they had had no time to spot when Adalon had teleported them there.

It took mere minutes to fight their way through a series of skirmishes between surface and dark elves... The group sided with neither group as they made their way from room to room. The surface elves did point out the way to the surface however. So, that was the way they went. And found themselves outside! Safe. Whole and all still breathing.

Immediately, they were assaulted by some nasty, suspicious surface elves. Trust is always an issue with these guys and because Viccy was with the group, the conversation was very strained indeed. To make a long, hostile conversation short, Duharrel and crew were allowed to depart th area alive but only after Viccy agreed to allow herself to be placed under a geas to assist this group of elves. (God had never had this happen before.)

Back to town they headed.... relieved jsut to be alive at this point.

-------more to come later--------

8. drm Gems: 3/31

Dude.. the description of how Korgan miraculosuly appears at their feet -- cool explanation. I always thought that was a flaw in game design that you didn't have to pick up bodies in order to return them to temples and stuff.

Anyway, great "episode"!!!

9. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Edwina---Edwin ---Jan

Duharrel led the group into the Coppoer Coronet to rest, to recuperate, and to take advantage of Hendak's gratitude for his freedom - hey, he had promised never-empty tankards of the best house-brew in town (well, best according to him). They all quickly became inebriated enough that even Viccy's nearly insatiable appetite for pleasure had to wait for another rest period to be bedded by Duharrel.

The next morning, the group realized just how much they had drunk and spent what little remained of the morning trying to survive the audacious hangovers they each had. Heck, Aerie couldn't stand up without the world spinning until nearly noon.

Finally, after breakfasting (actually lunching) on the finest delicacies that Hedak could offer, the group headed out to the Bridge District to celebrate a little more. Not only did they think they might sample some of the Five Flagons' finest, they heard that a new play had opened in the basement playhouse there.

Duharrel's buulheadedness and poor memory raised its nasty head on the way over however as he made a wrong turn and mistook the building into which they had chased the man with the red robe for the Five Flagons Inn. Once inside, they heard what appeared to be a card game going on upstairs. Seldom one to miss an opportunity for quick money, Korgan convinced Duharrrel they ought to see if they could get in the game, so up the stairs they went.

Few people really like being interrupted when they are on either end of a card game - way up or nearly penniless. A Cowled Wizard proved that point as he nastily refused Korgan's request for a seat at the table. His other Wizard friend was no more accomodating to Viccy's salacious smile or Aerie's giggling, "Plllllleeeeeassse, pretty please." The result was predictable - "Insult my friends, insult me," was Duharrel's response as he unbelted his fancy club.

An Athkalan guard in the game took offense at Duharrel's attempt to decapitate the second Wizard and stood to defend the wizard (hey, they were technically on the same side). Korgan backed Duharrel's action up by overturning the table and throwing an axe at the forehead of another guard. Viccy shoved one guard back into his seat as Aerie pointed her feather at him and hit him in mid-chest with an unbelievable amount of sparks. Imoen, raising her nearly always ready bow, planted three arrows into the gut of the first Wizard and disrupted any ideas he had of seriously defending himself.

With such a huge opening advantage, the outcome was never in doubt though the Athkalan guard remaining standing did manage to gang up on Korgan and whack him solidly a few times. When the battle was over however, two Cowled Wizard robes were in this bag with no bottom that Duharrel nealy always carried along with numerous sets of Athkalan guard armor and swords. Truth be told, Duharrel and friends won the skirmish a bit sloppily as they were still feeling the effects of the previous night and were a bit slow in their reactions.

Finally, outside they headed again. Following the straight ahead rule, Duharrel led the group along a ledge over the river and came upon a door that Aerie sensed magical energy behind. Edwina whined about not solving her gender problem just before Duharrel decided he was interested enough in this door to investigate it - what was the real difference between private dwellings and public areas anyway; no one could quite get that across to him. So, he forced the door open and in the group went, laughing at his bullheadeness, but wary of what might happen.

Not wary enough it turned out as Duharrel's rude invasion upset the old guy they had disturbed. He was so old that Korgan had seen skeleton's who looked younger. Anyway, this old guy tossed out three of the nastiest insults that Korgan had ever heard (good enough to remember and use later, he told himself). Then, he waved his hands which wound up barring the way out and yelled for his buds to come help him execute Duharrel's crew. What a motley crew faced Duharre's group - a guy who made skeleton's look young, a witch, a floating globe, and two warrior/thieves it seemed. They turned out tougher than they looked to be.

Duharrel headed straight for the near-skeleton and began to whack on him while Kogan swung at the floating globe. Aerie split herself into two and tried to pray. Imoen didn't quite know what to do first, send sparks flying at one of the warriors or summon creatures - and she hesitated. Edwina was absolutely in character as she cast defensive spells on herself before trying to help the others. Somehow, witch screeched a deafening wail and Viccy, Aerie and Edwina were bloodied badly. Then, the world seemed to go gray and nothing seemed to move. When color returned to the world. Edwina was nearly dead and Aerie lay lifeless on the ground. Duharrel whacked mightly at the skeleton with little effect though he tried multiple weapons. Korgan dispatched the globe as he took two mighty cuts to his back. Viccy finally got in contact with her gods and channeled a Armored dude to help.

Things continued to not go well for Duharrel and crew... The guys that faced off against Krgan began to joke about his age - really ticking him off, but their youthful speed was more effective than his experience it turned out - he was rapidly getting bloody, mostly his own! Again, the world seemed to darken and time didn't tick as the witch did some really nasty stuff to Korgan. Fortunately, she targetted him alone and that left Viccy enough time to call forth yet another massive skeleton ally. Unfortunately, Imoen's new decorative boa had fluttered into a lantern and caught on fire which she failed to notice and her robe proved to be fairly flammable. Before she could pat out the flames, her face was no longer unscarred and pale. Shaken, she turned to her bow and began firing rapidly... Edwina spotted her target - the skeletal man... Immy's arrows were bouncing off ineffectively.. Edwina knew the counter to that....waved her hands and Immy began making dents!

Viccy had to retreat as one of the opposing warriors rushed her, but a heaven sent wand ended his threat. Edwina and Immy's teaming up with Duharrel on one target seemed to make haedway as it fell..... but, that "win" was but an illusion as the real guy proved to be a feet feet away. Edwina waved her hands again at the real target and Immy and Duharrel started their attack over. Suddenly, the air became extremely hot as a huge winged creature reeking of sewage appeared out of nowhere. Edwina was forced to shift focus to the new threat and that was her undoing. Imoen waved her hands and was no longer seen but Viccy remained exposed. The creature headed for Viccy as she struggled to concentrate; lucky for her, Edwina got off a massive attack of sparks and, though barely injuring the mosnter, distracted it enough to allow Viccy to duck under a claw and escape. Now Edwina fumbled around for a potion of "hide me now!" but dropped it as it reached her lips.

One mighty swipe of a claw solved Edwina's gender problem permanently. The rage and stench of the creature affected Duharrel in an unforeseen manner and he began to run...like a track sprinter, around the room with no three consecutive steps in the same direction! Imoen's bow emptied a quiver of arrows into the remains of the skeltal man and began to take its toll on him. He began to back away due to the force of the multple impacts and doing so, attracted the attention of the demonic figure. Viccy managed to protect herself and Duharrel from allsorts of evil energy via a special prayer and then she joined Duharrel in senselessly exploring the room.

Imoen's bow was all that was standing in the way of the group's demise... (let me tell you, GOD was worried at this point!). But time continued to tick and one of Imoen's misses took out the witchthat had seemd to stop time. Then, she took out a warrior with some help from one of Viccy's armored friends. Finally, she began to whop up on the last warrior as the demon was occupying the fellow who had cried out, "Shangalar rules forever" early in the fight.

At some point, Duharrel regain his senses and got behind the demon.... Difficult choice - swing at the demon or swing at the nasty old skeletal dude. Which one? Which one? Screw it, he thought and swung THROUGH the demon for the skeletal dude. It WORKED and only the skeletal man faced Imoen and Duharrel now - the demon's flailing tail had ended the life of the second warrior. At the same time, Viccy's sense returned to her and she brought down the wrath of the heavens on the old guy as he was cut by Duharrel's sword and penetrated by Imoen's arrows. All three of the crew just stood senselessly fatigued for minutes as they tried to regain their senses and energies.

Looting, repacking and policiing up the area revealed that Edwin/Edwina really was unrecoverable even with the magic stick of life giving. Nothing to do there... However, they did manage to return Aerie to the realm of the living. Ah well...six had been a good number for Duharrel though.

Somewhat confused after the fight, the group headed back to the Copper Coronet, having forgotten about their original plan. Like I said, they were still somewhat confused and wound up in the Government District where a swarmy looking turnip salesman attracted the attention of the local constable. Even Duharrel knew that, in their weakened condition, taking on the constabulary at this point was a recipe for doom, so they turned the turnip salesman in to the law and began to head off. Aerie, however, remembered well the stories that Viccy had told of the local prison and begged Duharrel to allow her "just five minutes" to pay the turnip salesman's fine in order to free him. It was her gold, Duharrel figured... go for it.

In his gratitude for his freedom, the turnip vendor offered to serve any of Aerie's primary, or even more salacious, needs. She looked at Duharrel who only shrugged, whatever. So, the party became six again as Jan joined the motley crew. He needed to pick up his adventuring gear, however, so he led the way back to the Coronet...

-------more to come later--------

10. Namuras Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

So, our own favourite gnome has joined! Mayhaps he'll teach Duharrel and crew to like turnips, eh? :D

11. drm Gems: 3/31

Aw, man.... Edwin(a) finally got his/her comeuppance, eh? Darn... That swings the alignment balance of the group back again, doesn't it? What level is Jan? - How far behind is he compared to the others?

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] I like your "don't reload on every bad occasion" mentality. It makes the sense of reality much more real, and hence the story much more exciting. I hope people who have lots of time and like stories read your tale.

13. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Bodhi - Bodhi - Bodhi

Across from Hendak, Duharrel sat trying to get in a word edgewise as Drizzt the braggart tried to steal all the glory of their just-finished encounter with Bodhi. But, as usual, I am ahead of myself...

Jan's nephew had come all the way to the forest passes to let him know that his family needed him Athkala after our group had headed out to clear the passes for the elves. Solving this quest was more time-consuming than rewarding experience wise and Duharrel would not like to be distracted from fortune and glory hunting that way again - so he told Jan who just started talking about all the ways that turnips could be prepared (sort of like Bubba and shrimp in that Forrest Gump movie).

While back in Athkala, Aerie slipped away with Imoen to a temple of Ilmater and told the priest of Yoshimo's final gasping plea concerning his fear of eternity in Hell. She handed the priest Yoshimo's now dried and blackened heart, actually glad to be rid of the now reeking and rotted mass of putrid meat. The priest almost refused, but thought better of it when he saw Imoen's eyes and her hand on the hilt of her short sword. Both the girls felt much better as they returned to the Coronet.

At last, there was nothing left to do but to face Bodhi, for rumors had reached Korgan that Bodhi's vampires were actively seeking to kidnap and infect Viccy. Even as dark as her life had been, Viccy shuddered at the thought of eternity as a member of the undead and most hated group in Faerun, despised even more than other Drow. Eeeeew.

First, they headed to the Adventurer's Mart to re-equip once again... Duharrel had finally been convinced that he real armor instead of the conglomeration of miscellaneous pieces he had attached together. The proprietor offered to let the group look at his special stash of stuff - nearly ticking Duharrel off that this stash had not been made available to them before now. But, Viccy rubbed his neck to calm him down as he sorted through the armor and finally found a suit that would fit. It had a nasty aura said Viconia and she insisted that he look for another but Duharrel's mind was set on this one - besides, it was the only one that fit! To balance out the evilness that repulsed even Viconia, she convinced the proprietor to sell Duharrel a special ring (Yeah, the damn Human Friendship ring, but he'd die otherwise... As someone else has documented on this site already, you can die from lack of charisma! I thought of using the Blade of Roses, but figured that I would "charge" Duharrel by making him spend money - made him by the Sword of Balduran for over 55k. And at this point in the game, his charisma is no longer an issue; the group's rep is still 6). So, Duharrel strutted out the store in Trachie's armor quite pleased with himself... finally looking good even in young children's eyes.

Upon arrival in the graveyard, the group was ambushed and lost Viccy in a simple death after Duharrel got dominated and he swung at her. (Apparently, I somehow killed the romance as the variable is now 3.. though we have slept together..mmmmmmm, I thought that Bodhi was supposed to take away the lust of your life. Is that only before you sleep together?) Korgan was swinging the mace of disruption and just whipping up on Bodhi's minions while Aerie and Imoen joined Jan with meteor flinging. Those three found that one or the other of them would eventually get targeted by Duharrel and he'd nearly kill them - so, Duharrel had to be subdued by combining two spells by Imoen and Aerie. He finally just stood alone in his own world (but he usually felt that way anyway as none but Korgan and Viccy seemed to really get his jokes) as the battle raged. Some 30-40 meteors later, the minions turned gaseous and Korgan was winded but only minorly drained and wounded. It took a bit of time to convince everyone that raising Viccy was actually a good idea as she had become quite "the queen" since becoming Duharrel's special squeeze. Even Aerie had quit saying anything sickening sweet about her.

But, wounds heal and emotions cool and all decided that raising her was only right. So, they did and Aerie felt she had become even more special to her supreme deity as did Korgan, Imoen and Jan. TO the secret entrance to Bodhi's lair the group headed while watching out for Drizzt who had said he'd assist them. But he seemed to be nowhere around. It figures, thought Duharrel - all talk and reputation, no action.

Down into the stinking bowels of the crypt the group went only to be quickly assaulted by a series of young vampires whose attack was coordinated by a harkeshire (sp?). After staking two caskets, the group finally stumbled across Drizzt who was exchanging insults with a group of vampires, but not fighting them. Like I said, thought Duharrel as he charged the most eminent of the vamps. His club seemed to glow with each contact he made and gaseous clouds quickly wafted through the room. Viccy poured recently blessed water into a pool of blood and Drizzt just shook his head - amateurs!

After receiving no serious answer to question about why Drizzt had dismissed his own party and was merely talking with the vampires, Duharrel all but killed the ancient legend right there. I mean, come on - he'd told Drizzt that this Irenicus guy had stolen his soul and Bodhi was in cahoots with Jon...! Man, some people! So, into the largest room they all headed, Drizzt tagging along uselessly behind.

Viccy sensed something wrong at the entrance to the spiked room and couldn't see through the darkness now enveloping it. So, she prayed for more light and suddenly red mists glowed in the darkness. Her escort of armored skeletons helped slice through the mists like butter as they floated towards the group, but Imoen seemed to be a special target - then she realized they were being drawn toward her by the bottle of blessed water Viccy had tossed her. She threw the bottle at the pool of blood in the center of the room and reached for a potion to help her hide... Suddenly, the room filled with the brilliance of sunlight focused on Aerie as she caused a hole in the roof to open wide. The mists screamed as they dissipated and order was restored.

The group finally headed to the stairs to the sealed vault. Down they went, again running into Drizzt who had abandoned the group in the spike room fight. By this point, Duharrel really couldn't care less about Drizzt, he just got in the way of Duharrel's club and bragged an awful lot! In front of the vault's doors, Viccy and Aerie led the group in special prayers and Imoen and Jan prepared their spells while Duharrel and Korgan prepared to bash the doors open.

With a loud crash, the doors were thrown open and the entire group charged in, almost stumbling over themselves in their haste. Duharrel's momentum carried him to yet another pool of blood and he turned back towards Viccy just as she threw him a third bottle of holy water. He slammed the bottle to the bottom of the pool but had no time to watch the blood begin to churn and boil - Bodhi was screaming as she charged at him, claws and teeth unbared in her attack. Her spittle flew from her mouth as her gnashed her teeth and swung at him.

Viccy remembered the effectiveness of Aerie's trick upstairs and duplicated it while Jan, Imoen and Aerie threw meteors at Bodhi's followers. Eventually Drizzt sauntered into the room, looked around, seemed to shrug and just stood watching the melee. Korgan quickly dispatched two fledgling vamps before being targeted by two different grim warders. His hands were full when he heard Duharrel scream as Bodhi sank her teeth through an opening in Duharrel's new armor.

Viccy changed tactics and charged to assist Duharrel, swinging her mace wildly - hey, no other woman could give him(her) hickey's! Aerie noticed this and changed her tactics also, again causing a hole to emerge through the vault's roof...bringing light to this world of near-ultimate darkness and evil. One by one, the minions were weakened and slain in this new light, Bodhi began to wither under Duharrel's onslaught and even Drizzt decided to take a swing finally. As suddenly as it began, it was over...Bodhi fled for her coffin and the grim warders all fell to the floor.

Viccy raced after Bodhi, drawing a stake from her pack as she went. Thrusting open the coffin lid, she grinned as she staked the b**ch through the heart. Steal my woman, will you? she cried! Finally truly lifeless, Bodhi's body crumbled into dust as the stake penetrated Bodhi's back and struck the coffin's bottom.

Which returns us to the start of this episode. Like I said, Drizzt was taking al the glory while Duharrel couldn't believe it. Finally, Duharrel sneered at Drizzt, yeah, right old man. We didn't do anything, you did it all yourself. Duharrel stood up, grabbed Viccy's hand and led her up to Hendak's special room of pleasure.

--------more to come----------

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited September 24, 2001).]

14. drm Gems: 3/31

I've had that interesting reaction from Drizzt also... he follows the main character around rather than actually leading the fighting as you might expect from the books.

Anyway, cool story. You SHOULD be paid by the word though! HAHAHA!

15. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

A very quick update....

God talking here - not wanting to put Jan in battles totally over his head, I remembered two in-town battles that Duharrel had not engaged in... The Illithids in the Temple District sewers and the Guarded Compound... So, before heading out to Suhldenesslaer (sp?), I think that we'll see if we can figure out a way to justify doing those battle to try to level Jan up. Only problem is that after these two, there just aren't going to be any other real opportunities and he's going to be the weakest character in the party at a time when I normally rely heavily on him if he's along...

Will post again later today (Tuesday) to let you all know how it went...Hopefully, no invitations to his funeral will be necessary.

Also possibly of interest...Did you guys realize that if you get that Plate Mail +2 via the Limited Wish spell, you get less than 60gp if you try to sell it? That low figure might be due to the low rep (6) Duharrel and crew have, however, that is still awfully, awfully low no matter how you figure it.

But, for what it's worth... here are the current armors in the party...
    Duharrel -- Traechie's Armor +5
    Korgan -- Human Skin armor +5 (no, I don't think I told you guys about that, but it felt right for Korgan to have it, so the crew snuck out and got it without me noticing and I decided to let them keep it. haha)
    Viccy -- Balduran's Plate Mail
    Aerie -- Elven Chain Mail +1
    Imoen -- Robe of Vecna
    Jan -- Elven Chain Mail

Last thing, since one of the main reasons for thise run through was to play out the Viconia romance, I cheated the RomanceActive variable back to 2... Immediately after doing this, the group was confronted by Lolths' HAndmaiden and a Demon... Anyone ever run into these guys before? There are few posts found in search which mention them...

[This message has been edited by Kailynne Johanne (edited September 25, 2001).]

16. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Keep up the good work KJ! About the armor you get from the limited wish spell, my rep was 20 and I remember selling it for a ridicously low price like 60 gp. Very strange.

17. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] DUHARREL! DUHARREL!!

Actually, I think that Limited wish armor's so cheap because you get it for free.... go figure. Another theory: it's unnamed, therefore it's unimportant.

18. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] Yeah KJ, I think I have a screenshot of the handmaiden and the demon somewhere.
    My latest "real" - as in with a normal party and enjoying the dialogue - game was with Viconia. I think the Viconia romance is a very good one and the romance I enjoy the most... especially with ToB.

19. Kailynne Johanne Gems: 10/31

Alien encounter

Duharrel and crew were talking with Hendak, you know how it is – one last boozer before heading off to battle seek fortune and glory again. Well, Hendak mentioned a rumor that he had heard of a new group of slavers setting up operations from within the Temple District. Viccy mentioned that they might also check in with the Temple of Helm and se if there was some small quick and easy job that might allow the group to spring for a new sling for Aerie – hers had just not held up and had begun missing more than it hit when used.

So, to the district where adoration of the gods was rampart they walked… Sure enough, Helmic priests mentioned some weird rumor of an unknown power that linked up with a comment Jan remembered when he had tried to help out his ex-girlfriend. Something about a Hidden power in the city and being underground. So, back into the sewers our merry band of sewer rats went, though the entire area had been cleared while taking down the Cult of the Unseeing Eye (what Korgan said should have been called the Group of Blind Idiots)…

Jan and Imoen walked slowly up one corridor and down another, often stopping in order to peer intently at this or that crevice in a wall. Finally, Viccy began to pray – all this praying by others was beginning to irritate Duharrel, but it had served them well so far, so he endured, if not encouraged, it. After literally hours of searching, Jan found what they sought – a hidden door that he was unable to pick the lock on. Duharrel tossed his heavy backpack on the ground in frustration and was joined by Korgan as both took noisy seats on the cold, dank floor. Duharrel’s threadbare pack split when it hit the ground, strewing its contents helter skelter and requiring someone to pick it all up. As usual, clean up duties fell to Aerie though this time, both Viccy and Imoen chipped in to try to avoid Duharrel’s aggravated attitude.

With nothing better to do, Viccy grabbed all of the keys they had collected along the way and walked over to the hidden door. One by one she tried them out Finally, with just two keys remaining, the group heard her gasp as metal tumblers rotated in the metal lock. Duharrel and Korgan roused themselves, once more energized and anxious to get on with it. Through the door and into a hallway Korgan stomped only to be struck dumb when he blindly tripped a unseen trap. Duharrel snickered and pushed Jan forward, though the gnome found no additional threats despite a thorough search.

Up some stairs and into a skirmish the crew wandered – the opposition a motley mix of humans and aliens who neither spoke nor physically lashed out. Thrusting a door between the two groups closed, Duharrel leaned heavily against it joined by Korgan. Imoen conjured up a magic sword that moved on its own and explained to Aerie how to do the same. Coordinating their moves, Duharrel and Korgan allowed the door to be thrust open while the dancing swords moved past them and struck at the now-unbarred enemies. Viccy prayed that neither Duharrel nor Korgan would fall under the mental control of opposition priests or aliens while Imoen followed up her last casting by summoning a djinni to appear behind the lead attackers on the enemy line. Viccy similarly called for a pile of metal encased bones and Jan was showing off this new invention of his, some kind of weird crossbow bolt that “flashed” when it hit a target.

Forward the group went, over the fallen bodies of slain archers and warriors. Duharrel and Korgan concentrated on the aliens while the swords honed in on a cleric. The djinni was having a great time toying with a mage – like a cat with a wounded mouse, he occasionally allowed the mage to almost get off a spell before shutting the mage down with a huge spell of the djinni’s own. The intensity of Duharrel’s group’s attack carried them down a hallway where another group of aliens were found seemingly training two massive mounds of green, moldy compost.

Again, Viccy implored other worldly powers to protect Duharrel and Korgan in their rush to bloody their weapons. Imoen and Aerie’s swords managed to eliminate two aliens before disappearing in bright flashes of light. Duharrel suddenly staggered backwards while holding his head, his eyes bulging, gasping for breath. Viccy rushed to him, thrust a potion into his mouth, pouring it so quickly the excess spilled out the corners of his mouth. Quickly, she repeated the process while calling for everyone to concentrate on the aliens. Imoen had been waving her hands while standing in the open doorway…Korgan saw his axes make contact with desiccated (moistureless) skin that was sliced like paper by the axe’s keenly honed blade. Likewise, other aliens suddenly stood unmoving, like withered plants in a desert sun. One by one, Korgan finished off their lives until all that remained were piles of thin, parchment-like pieces lying on the ground. Duharrel sat quietly against a wall while Viccy and Aerie tended his wounds, somehow more spiritual then physical…Imoen had no idea how to help and joined Jan and Korgan standing helplessly, watching the two girls minister to the large ½ orc.

Finally, having accomplished all they could, Viccy and Korgan half-carried, half=dragged Duharrel’s body back out, down the stairs and over towards where they had first met Haer Daelis. Up into what had been Mekrath’s quarters they went, finally barring the door against intruders and holing up for some needed rest. Special prayers were said over Duharrel’s weakened body, Aerie repulsed by Viconia’s actions but pleased with her results. Likewise, Viccy began to respect Aerie more as her ministrations seemed to complement Viccy’s own. Eventually, Viccy and Aerie nodded to each other – there was nothing more to do but rest.

Some time later, Duharrel had regained his essence, thrust himself back into his armor, and insisted that the group assist him in avenging the aliens’ rape of his mind. With barely a glance over his shoulder, he stormed down the stairs and headed back towards the alien enclave…his own steps obliterating the sounds of the other five as they gather their own equipment and then rumbled after him.

Once again, the five stood before a door behind which they were sure to encounter aliens mind suckers. Once again, Viccy and Aerie prayed that Duharrel and Korgan retain their essences while Jan and Imoen added magical allies to the party’s force. Imoen’s magic swords nearly battered down the door before Duharrel could jump out of the way, but he finally got it open and was stunned by the number of aliens they all faced. Again and again, Duharrel and Korgan were blasted by psychic forces as the magic swords were carving pieces out of the mind suckers. Once again, Imoen waved her hands in that certain way and many of the psychic creatures seemed to imploded as the moisture in their bodies was eliminated in a yellow dust cloud. The stench was nearly unbearable, this time causing the mighty Korgan to stagger backwards.

Still the group fought on, Jan’s flashers proving worthless against the enemy while Viccy succeeded in causing one alien to simply burst into flames with a terrible keening sound. Aerie concentrated on healing and passing around the potions that had so helped Duharrel to recover. The battle raged on…and on…Duharrel nearly fatally faltering at one point, rejuvenated just in time with Aerie’s assistance. Finally, a last rush of energy, adrenaline and mindless fury and all enemies were desiccated, carved into steak sized pieces or merely but obviously – dead.

---more to come--------

20. Big B Gems: 27/31

[​IMG] Nice! Now when the next "How do I kill Mind Flayers?" topic pops up in about a month we can link to this story :grin:! Keep up the good work.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.