1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Defeating Improved Invisbility plus SI:Divination

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by jeremiah, Jan 11, 2004.

1. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Doesn't seem like Spell Immunity:Illusion defeats it. None of my casters could cast breach etc on that enemy even after one casts Spell Immunity:Illusion. Example, the Improved Alhoons in Tactics mod.

Only Glitterdust exposes them long enough (4 rounds) to throw up a breach or pierce magic then hack and slash. Are there any other way of defeating it.

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Waiting it out.

Seriously, you can't beat this combo. Glitterdust is the only invis beating spell that isn't divination.

You could always throw up enough defenses to make yourself immune to everything and then laughing at the pathetic attempts of the enemy to hit you.

3. jeremiah Gems: 4/31

Well, good thing magic resistance doesn't defeat glitterdust (maybe the blindness effect). However, I am too much of a wimp to use it on a lich who are supposedly immune to its level 6 or lower spells. I just have my party run away :D .

4. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I don't know about this but would dispel magic work? If the caster's level is to high for you to dispel it use and inquisitor's uber dispel.
    Just a thought don't know if it will work

5. Elendrile Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Best bet is to go with Summon Planetar or Greater Elemental Summoning as they can see invisible creatures. Gotta be pretty high level though...

6. Faraaz Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

You could also try taking them out with area effect spells like Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting, Skull Trap, Fireball, Cloudkill, Death Fog, Incendiary Cloud etc etc...basically stuff which doesnt specifically target the invisible person.

Unless they have Magic Resistance, I doubt they could survive the onslaught.

7. Thyorna Gems: 6/31

Would the dispel work tho?? Can anyone clarify that for me?
    Much Obliged

8. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Since the target is immune to spells of the Divination School Dispell won't work, sadly.

Another option is to cast a Timestop just when said creature exposes itself, then draining or pummeling it to death with physical attacks.

9. jeremiah Gems: 4/31

Dispel is abjuration. However, I don't like to use it as it dispels your beneficial spells if you are not careful.

Remove magic is better but you can't target (while dispel is area effect so doesn't matter if you can't target a specific enemy) the invisible/sanctuaried enemy until Glitterdust takes effect (there is no save against being revealed by it but there is a save against its blindness).

10. Thyorna Gems: 6/31

So taking into acount that DIspel Magic is Abjuration do you think it would dispel it?

11. jeremiah Gems: 4/31

Dispel magic works IF enemy FAILS its save. Dispel magic allows a save against it. The save is harder to make if the level of the caster is higher than the target (that is why Inquisitor's dispel is best). So technically, it COULD work but not guaranteed. Then again, the enemy might have Spell Immunity:Abjuration up instead LOL.

[ January 12, 2004, 16:19: Message edited by: jeremiah ]

12. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I don't think that's how dispel magic works. There is a chance that the dispel doesn't work, but it isn't based on a saving throw. I could be wrong here, as I'm going by 2nd Edition Rules, but if the game implements it exactly as the rules state, it works this way:

Dispel magic works individually on each protection/status effect, so if the enemy has a combination of 3 different protections/status effects, each one is considered individually.

There is a base 50% that each protection is dispelled, and this is modified +/-5% based on the relative levels of the caster.

So, let's look at a 10th level caster against a 15th level enemy. In this case, the enemy is 5 levels higher than the caster, so a 5 * 5% = 25% penalty is applied to the success rate, so there is only a 25% chance that the dispel will work. If the roles were reversed, there would be a 75% success rate. Regardless of levels, the chance of success can never exceed 95%, nor fall below 5%. As such, there is a huge probability that an inquisitor would be able to dispel just about anything. Even at level 20, he dispels as if level 40, which should be enough to bring down just about anything (5% chance of failure).

13. jeremiah Gems: 4/31

Sorry, I was just going by the in game spell description where it states Saving Throw: Special. But that you quoted is pretty much what is stated. In effect, it is analogous to a save.

14. Rastor Gems: 30/31

Just what were you hoping to bring down with Dispel? Dispel magic won't remove the SI:Divination, nor will it remove other protections that the mage may be wearing.

15. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    @ Rastor

Yeah, it won't work. I was just commenting on how dispel magic worked. I guess I should have mentioned it was a waste of time...

16. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Sorry, my mistake about Dispel. I forgot about it being Abjuration, and at the time all I remembered was that it had a white icon.

17. jeremiah Gems: 4/31

I think the hope is to dispel the invisibility at least so the player can take more effective action against everything else.

18. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31

Media:
    Yes, including any melee protections the target might conjure up, though the chances of this are rather slim. :(

19. Rastor Gems: 30/31

IIRC, the only melee protection that Dispel brings down is stoneskin, and that's a bug.

I've never seen dispel remove invisibility, but I could be wrong about that.

20. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

Dispel and Remove Magic are not supposed to affect spell protections at all, so it should have no effect on any flavor of SI. I think Dispel/Remove can remove the last vestiges of improved invisibility (when the creature is half-visible) though I'm pretty sure it won't affect invisibility otherwise.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.