1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Death penalty

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Volsung, Jun 16, 2003.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Well, I guess I have a good feel for what standard of proof it takes for Yago to convict! :)

Ah, but we're flying away from the original topic...

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Risky behaviours arent all prohibited as there is a line between personal freedom and security. Not to mention no one excepts yourself puts you at risk if you decide to climb that cliff. You might argue that Joe Murderer knew the penalty for his crimes as well and that his death sentence is no different thant Joe Climber falling off the cliff but I find that preposterous. A state sanctioned killing is done in total cold blood. The bastard might deserve it but there is still no justification to kill someone in cold blood ever, not in my book and not in anyones I would hope. Even if I am apparently wrong.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And why is this so preposterous? Is not murder (in some cases e.g. serial killers) just another risky behavior? The perpetrator certainly doesn't think he's going to be caught, just as the mountain climber doesn't think he's going to fall...

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The difference is that Joe Climbers death is imminent and that cliffs are not sentinent thinking creatures that can make decisions. A court and a society can think and make moral decisions.

5. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Ah. So your only objection is the effect on society as you see it and not on the dead?

Well, since it is that very society that calls for such punishments, I don't see that as an issue. As soon as society determines death as a punishment is not just for certain heinous crimes, it will no longer exist.

I for one see it as a just punishment for the crimes under which it applies.

6. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Why starting this topic anyway ? It's only about stating an opinion and seeing, that there are quite different views in different parts of the world.

It should be somehow described different -> Was it good, that most European countries banned the death penalty. What do you think about China, African countries and countries in the Middle-East, which practise executions ?

Or, should Eurpean countries extradite offenders to countries, when the death-penaltiy awaits them ? My opinion is clear. Never, never, never, never, never. Or those countries promise, that they will not use the death-penalty.

7. Erebus Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Screw the death penalty, just give them some good ol' Singapore style prison caning. Made famous by Michael Faye.

8. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

BTA:

quote: It is wrong to murder, not to kill.

Why?

quote: It is justice.

Why?

9. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Well, I'll leave the details to the philosophers, but according to the law of the society I live in, that's the case.

Because that is currently what the law of the society I live in calls for as punishment for certain crimes. It is not left up to the friends/relatives of the victim to decide, it is for the courts. Thus justice, not revenge.

10. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

[​IMG] Blessed are you if you can make your life that simple. Allright, stop thinking. Everything is taken care of. You don't have to worry about anything.

11. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    <shrug> Cursed are you if you insist on making your life more complicated than it is. Rail against your own society because in your mind your ideas and beliefs are more correct than the majority of your neighbors. Curse the passage of any laws you don't agree with, because you are the sole determinant of what is right and wrong.

12. Iago Gems: 24/31

Hm, one more time is the fact established that people from different societies are.... people from different societies. :rolleyes:

Back to home and capital punishment there:

Edit: Oh, yeah, by the way. If they ever bring back death penalty back to my country, I want the old, traditional way. An axe and a head in the middle of the city on the biggest place with a huge staring crowd. That was standard procedure until the 30ies.

[ June 22, 2003, 02:06: Message edited by: Yago ]

13. Fabius Maximus Gems: 19/31

BTA, you didn't understand me. I did critizise your refusal to think indepently. If you'd come to the same result, okay. But I'd ask you for an explanation all the same.

14. Sir Dargorn Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

In an ideal world i would fully support the reintroduction of a death penalty policy in Britain, provided it was only apllied to murderers. (i do not consider rape without subsequent murder to be a crime worthy of such punishment)

However, even in the relativly fair judiciary system we have over here, there is still a substantial risk of false imprisonment.
    While race hate crimes are significantly smaller in number compared to America, and quite often reversed (most murders of black people are blamed on white 20-25 year old men, almost without exception). The racial prejudices, especially those to do with illegal immigrants still worm their way into the judgement of the courts.
    Many of our senior judges are prejudice against one thing or another and find their way into their position through personal favour rather than actual ability. (Like the house of Lords, Britain still suffers from a great deal of class predeujudices and 'bastard feudalism').

In fact the only true way to be sure of a persons guilt before sentencing them to death is a solid, courtroom, confession. But even this is subject to 'persuasion'.

What i am trying to say is that i agree with the death penalty for murder, but i cannot agree to it being re established in a country which still holds biase to certain groups, thus lowering the certainty of actual guilt.

Same goes for Aemrica and any other country.

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Fabius - I think I have been very clear where I stand on this issue over the many posts in this and I think at least two other threads on the subject on these boards.

The death penalty is an option for the courts in my society under certain circumstances, and I see no reason to to try to change that. If you illegally deal out death with malice and forethought (and there are other circumstances that are required), then death should be your punishment. Very simple in my mind.

With regard to revenge versus justice, I thought I was very clear. It is justice because the law has stated what the punishment is and the courts implement it. The people directly involved with the victim are not involved in the trial or sentencing, so the court is as impartial as possible. The only way you can see it as revenge is if you see every punishment dealt out by the courts as revenge, and I for one do not see it that way.

16. Iago Gems: 24/31

Dam, the article I found has scared myself. But I think, that the re-introduction of capital-punishment is still impossible in any western-european country, except maybe the UK. Because, and that's more a feeling, not something which is substantiated by anything I heard or read, but there are so many groups and organisations, which have pledged to never have again, what happened, that they will do anything in their power against it.

And then, to re-introduce capital-punishment, it would need a sound majority, a really sound majority, because if it wasn't so, too many people would just not co-operate, and the whole thing would remain paper-waste.

Oh, and then the churches.

17. Laches Gems: 19/31

I'm curious, are you saying that justice is tied to the law -- that what is just is what the law says?

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    A definition of justice: The administration of law; especially : the establishment or determination of rights according to the rules of law or equity.

19. Laches Gems: 19/31

I was just curious then, does that make slavery just if it is legal? Drifting but... I suppose if 'just' just is whatever the law says it is, then using 'just' in a discussion about the appropriatness of the death penalty strikes me as somewhat circular. I'm not arguing with your definition, but I suspect that in common usage 'just' means something qualitatively different.

In D&D terms, when the evil king who sets up his evil kingdom with evil regressive taxes on the poor to pay for the rich is written about, he isn't described as just.

[ June 23, 2003, 04:12: Message edited by: Laches ]

20. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

I knew I said I wouldn't weight in on this one anymore, but I didn't want BTA to feel all alone!

Awhile back there was a thread that asked if we could kill someone and if so what the circumstances would have to be. I said yes, if it involved protecting my 3 little girls (all under 9 years old, emotional, yes, but sill relevant).

I stand by that statement to a greater degree. If I felt that by executing some serial killer it would be the best protection for not only my little girls, but all the little girls out there, and the big people, too, then I would do it, no question. I might have nightmares and guilt, but the guilt I would feel if that killer got one of my kids -- or anyone -- and I could have stopped it? That guilt would be 1000 times worse.

Once again, I refute the statement that it is ONLY about revenge. While I don't have a problem with revenge, public safety is a large component, and some people will not rest easy until the chance of some people re-committing their crimes is at zero. Not 1 in a million, not 1 in a billion, but zero.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.