1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

David Thorne

Discussion in 'Sensorium' started by Gaear, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
    I just discovered this David Thorne guy on the net yesterday but apparently he's been doing his thing for a long time. Wiki describes him as "an Australian humourist, satirist, Internet personality and New York Times best-selling author ... 27b/6 (his website/blog) features a collection of humorous emails and articles from Thorne's life."

The last bit is most important, as it's there that he shares humorous e-mail exchanges and the like that he has had with various people. Apparently he works or worked in an office environment as a logotype designer, and that's where much of the humor begins. I can't figure out if I would spend my day laughing working next to this guy or planning when and how to kick his ass, lol.

Some highlights from his blog that I've seen so far:

Trust me, if you've got some time to kill, this will be worth it. :D

Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
    Blackthorne TA likes this.
  2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    OMG, I just read the first one and I'm worried that with my open window the neighbours will think I'm crazy hearing me laughing so loud. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of them when I get back from some errands.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That logo/pie charts one coudn't have ended better than this:
    ROTFLMAO!

EDIT
    BTW, some of those links don't have the proper URL in them...

4. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

There is some humor there but to be honest it's the kind of humor that is funny when it happens to someone else. This guy delights in just being a complete jerk. He is unnecessarily rude and insulting. I'd likely be filing complaints against him as well.

The Christian one got to me. He doesn't believe in Christianity. I get it. Such is his right. But unless I'm misunderstanding part of the context all he had to do was just say "I don't want my child participating" and leave it at that. Instead he was just insulting for no other reason than being a smug bastard. I just didn't see the point in his belaboring the issue.

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    These have been around since Jesus was a lad. Really funny, though.

6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It seems he objects to the bypassing of separation of Church and State laws by having "Christian volunteers" in a public school for no other reason (apparently) than that they are free.

7. Dice

Media:
    @LKD - You know LKD, you are intelligent, have some pretty good values and are generally a pretty nice guy but sometimes you are just a Grumpy Gus! :p

8. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Maybe, Dice, but I just don't find someone scoring points off someone just going about his normal business to be funny. It's like giving a waitress at a chain restaurant a hard time about prices that she personally has no control over.

9. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I agree with LKD. I'll admit the first two Gaer listed were funny, but generally, the guy just seems like a prick. The Missing Missy one, for example, seemed totally unnecessary - the woman asks for a favor, and Thorne is a total douche about it; he whines about the fact that he's to busy to spend what would probably be a few minutes helping her, and then proceeds to waste the next 3 hours being a jerk. I almost get the feeling that one day he thought "hey, let's see how big an a$$hole I can be in responding to emails, and when I get enough material, I'll put them in a book".

10. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    The guy is a huge a-hole. That's what's so funny. :)

11. Dice

Media:
    YAH! So there Spunge and LKD!! :p :p :p *Dice blows a raspberry at them* :lol:

12. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ah, I get it. We're supposed to be laughing at him, not with him. It's a "look at me, I'm a gigantic idiot!" king of thing. Sort of like Jackass, except that he has to drag other people into it. So I guess it's more like a big kid sticking a smaller kid's head in a toilet, and laughing at the big kid for being a moron.

I still don't find it particularly funny. :p

13. Gaear

Media:
    Fun governors. :p

14. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Not exactly IMO. In every case I read, he had a legitimate gripe, he just went all a-hole on the perpetrator, which I find funny.

For example Missy the cat: A secretary is asking him to do for free what he gets paid to do; and in this day and age anyone can put together a simple poster if they know how to email a picture to someone else, there is no reason should couldn't have easily done it herself.

Instead she's an idiot, and even though he heaped a load of nonsense on her, what did she do? Did she ask another designer in the office to do it instead? Did she throw up her hands and do it herself? No, she took the abuse and went back for more. Hilarious! :)

15. Splunge

Media:
    She was asking him to do her what is commonly referred to as a “favor”. This is apparently an alien concept to you, so you might want look up the word sometime; in essence, a “favor” is what friends or co-workers often do for each other, particularly if it’s not that big a deal. I’ll even make it easy for you and provide a link (this, coincidentally enough, is an example of doing you a favor); just click on the underlined part and prepare to be amazed (you might want to make sure someone is nearby when you do so, as the shock could put you in a coma):

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/favor

Maybe she’d never made a poster before and didn’t realize how easy it was, and given that there was someone in the office who knew what he was doing, she turned to him for help. Now granted, as you say, she probably should have gone to someone else when she realized that the idea of a favor was as foreign to Thorne as it was to you (before I enlightened you, that is), but that still doesn’t justify him being a tool in the first place. :)

16. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I'm amazed that you can't understand how someone can be annoyed that people ask them to do favors that involve a paid talent.

Doctors get annoyed when people ask them for free medical advice at parties. Lawyers get annoyed when people ask them for free legal advice. Computer builders get annoyed when people ask them to help them build a computer for free. But I guess that's an alien concept for you.

And again, that's what makes it so funny. He goes to all kinds of trouble just to annoy the hell out of these people because they are annoying him, and they keep coming back for more!

I mean seriously, if you were the secretary and got that first email response what would you have done? I imagine you'd think he was an a-hole and go elsewhere for help or do it yourself. But no, she just kept coming back for more explaining exactly what she wants on the poster. If she knew exactly what she wanted, then how hard could it have been to just do it? As I said above: Hilarious!

17. Splunge

Media:
    From your reply, I guess you didn’t get the fact that I was being ironic, in that I was intentionally being a Thorne-like a-hole in my response. I guess it’s not as hilarious when you’re the target. :)

Anyway, to be serious for a moment regarding favors, I’m an accountant. How annoyed I get when people ask me for accounting/tax advice depends on how well I know them, and what giving the advice entails. If it’s a friend or someone I work with, then I don’t mind, but only if I don’t have to spend hours doing it. So yes, expecting a friend to pay me for a quick favor is an alien concept to me, as you state. In the Missing Missy example, since posters are easy, it wouldn’t have been a big deal for him to help out.

As for the “coming back for more” part, yes, they probably should just ignore him after a point. But I still don’t find it all that funny.

18. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I think you need to brush up on your prose then because it wasn't amusingly written :p

How annoyed you get also depends on how many times the same person asks you for a favor. This may have been the last straw for all we know.

And that you don't find it funny is certainly understandable... not everyone has a well developed sense of humor. ;)

19. Gaear

Media:
    Same with the pie charts guy, who at various stages said "That's the final straw!" and "You've gone too far - TOO FAR!" and "Now you've crossed the line!" Then some e-mails later he was asking "So are you going to do it or not?" :D

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Same with the guy who emailed to tell him he's a "foggot".

At the end the guy says he won't be responding to any more emails. Thorne replies with "Yes you will", and the guy responds to that with "No I won't!" :lol:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.