1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dark Heresy, Interested?

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Aug 20, 2008.

1. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

By the way, is there somewhere where those of us who have not read the novels can find out more about mores, way of speaking and the culture of the WH40K universe?

2. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well, I'd say the Lexicanum is a good place to start.

www.lexicanum.com

Also has stuff on Warhammer Fantasy, for those who happen to be intrested of it.

3. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Thats a good link to have, thanks Goli :)

If you aren't sure what to call something, just call it by its nearest real life counterpart...the Imperium is full of lots of cool stuff, but mostly its just variations on things that already exist. And if you really aren't sure if we'll understand what you mean just add an Out of Character explanation onto your post.

Also here are a few good little phrases:
    "By the Throne!"
    "Emporer Protects" (a common formal goodbye)
    "Emporer Damn them!"
    "Twist" (a common slang term for mutant)

Well theres a few I'm sure you can get creative with your curses and exclamations...of which there could be a fair few :D

4. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Er, you did mean "emperor," right?

BTW, I think I might have gone overboard with the expenses on my character sheet. Please remove the rations and include 1 throne worth of shotgun shells and 3 thrones "cash"

5. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Uh...yes probably, I've never been able to spell that word right, bit annoying since I did Roman History at college :D

And I will have a look, you had 68 thrones to start right?

6. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Yeah. My first expenses added to 70, so I cut something.

7. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

How is everything going out? I haven't heard anything from you guys recently :)

8. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    Waiting for Freshers week to finish, then im gonna put effort into this.

9. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Finally got a reliable internet connection at uni (I think), so I'm free to start when the others are.

Of course, that reminds me that I don't yet have any information on equipment and the like. Dave, would you send out the relevant stuff when you get a chance, please?

10. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Yeah I leave for uni on thursday so been sorting stuff out for that, I'll get it too you all hopefully before I leae since I probably won't have internet when I get there for a while :bad: don't worry guys I'm still up for this :D

11. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Really sorry guys its taking ages to sort out internet for the flat, apparently BT isn't convinced where we live exists...but we're doing all we can and hopefully will sort something out soon! :)

12. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Do you need any help with anything?

13. Dalveen

Media:
    Quick question, if someone joins a Space Marine chapter, but their body rejects the Gene Seed, do they have to stay in the Chapter or can they leave and become a Mercenary/Guardsman?

14. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Don't they die in the process?

I think that scouts are trainees who were yet to be given the geneseed of the chapter - either that or rookie marines who have not yet earned their powered armor. There is also probably some supporting personnel. Why would you want to go down to a guardsman, though?

15. Dalveen

Media:
    No, they don't die, in the story Hell in a Bottle by Simon Jowett, the main character was taken into the Iron Hearts, but even though he was the best Scout in his group his body rejected the Gene Seed 3 times and so he get "re-assigned" I just wondered if such a person would be allowed to leave the Chapter.

16. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Actually, scouts already have much of the physical modification done to them. The main difference between them and full Marines (other than experience) is that they lack the Black Carapace. The Shaman is right to suggest death as a likely outcome- if your body rejects the modifications then you will likely die. Unpleasantly.

This happens to Blood Angel aspirants when they are placed in capsules to allow time for the physical changes to take place. A number of those implanted don't react well and spend a large amount of time in huge pain while trapped in a tank.

The problem with using any Black Library publication is that the authors are well known for using their own interpretation of the 40K universe. Unfortunately, it isn't uncommon for them not to fully understand something, forget something or just plain change what they don't like.

As a general rule: if a Chapter has selected you, then you probably won't be leaving. Applicants who fail for whatever reason become Chapter serfs and live to serve the Chapter.

17. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

Er, anything new going on?

18. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Apparently BT doesn't think our building exists, hoping to get an engineer out soon but its difficult when we live in a massive block of flats that don't exist...really sorry for this guys, I thought it'd be simple :(

I think I will just use the uni computers to do this, though thats far from ideal : /

Sorry again!

And as to the geneseed issue, from what I remember of the chapter approved article scouts have most but not all the implants so are still far superior to a normal human. And since its well known that candidates don't always survive much of the surgery that goes on, it is a safe guess that they would probably die if their body rejected something. I was never really sure what the geneseed did, I would assume it altered the marines DNA in someway to give him chapter specific abilities/problems so if you reject it either you die halfway through the mutation or nothing happens and you live...a kind of comprimise hehehe :)

Though theres nothing stopping you being a super human without a geneseed as far as I can tell.

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31

I think I remember something about SMs having much more bulk and even "backup" organs including 2 hearts - I would presume this is induced by the geneseed.

20. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Basically, extra organs and modifications to existing ones are done before the initiate becomes a proper scout. They'll implant, amongst other things, an extra kidney, an extra heart and an extra lung. The extra mass comes from forcing them to grow bigger, plus an implant that piles on muscle. The role of the geneseed is to control the development of the other implants. It is very important to recover the geneseed from fallen marines as without a supply of it, no new marines can be created (ie. the chapter will become extinct).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.