1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dark Heresy, Interested?

Discussion in 'Role-play Corner' started by Dave the Magic Turtle, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Hmh, I think I might very well be able to get my hands on a copy of DH. So I think it'll be fine.

EDIT: On a sidenote, would it be possible to already post character concepts here? I actually found a character generation on the internet, and it's giving me some rather intresting ideas.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Go ahead, it might inspire some other people, and if you think people without the rules might find the character gen thing you found useful, then post a link to it :)

3. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Now this is intresting. I rolled a character in the generator, and it randomly generated both parents as Imperial Psykers too. Think of the roleplaying possibilities!

Well, anyways, my first concept is that of a younger man, not yet truly experienced in the field, but very devoted to the Imperium. It could perhaps be said that Narl, a man from a backwater Imperial world, had an easier time coming to terms with his natural talents of a Psyker than most, being blessed with two parents who shared his predicament. Power over the Immaterium, it seems, can pass on. But if it was a blessing, it was equally a curse, for Narl could always see his own fate in his parents - and that was if he would be fortunate enough to endure. He also had a very fragmented upbringing, having met his father only once during his life and taken to be trained in a young age from his mother.
    In his training, Narl came to know pain and the horrors of the Warp. He experienced the pain of his own skull being reconstructed and felt the horrors clawing at the borders of his mind. But nevertheless, he persisted. For his faith in the Emperor was strong, and he felt no doubt. Narl came to view himself as an extension to the will of the Immortal God Emperor, spending what little free time there was in prayer and reciting His litanies. Hate the mutant, abhor the Xenos, Burn the heretic. A mind that questions is a mind that falters. To question is to doubt. Narl learned his litanies well and true.
    Narl knows his path well, and he will let no heresy or trickery stray him from his road. And his time has come to prove his worth and cut down the wicked. He will not fail, for the Emperor is with him and His litanies of fury will guide him.

Yeah, just about right. I see a fair bit of an Inquisitor in Narl, methinks. Perhaps if he lives long enough...

4. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Well there are 4 ways to end a career in Dark Heresy:
    1. Die, no explanation needed.
    2. Go insane, collect 100 insanity points and your too much of a gibbering wreck to carry on.
    3. Join the Enemy, collect 100 corruption points and you are too mutated to escape the gaze of the inquisition.
    4. Reach the final rank of your career path and retire by choice, maybe even ascend the ranks to Inquisitor.

Sounds good, so he's freshly out of psyker school and ready to purge the unclean, lets hope his team mates are just as devoted as him eh? Sounds good Goli.

I want people to remember that just because you work for the Inquisition doesn't make you a perfect angel, hence why "Scum" is a character class :p

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I think it needs a bit more fleshing out but hopefully this character is feasible enough just now (providing the inquisition don't destroy the planets with this background straight away).

Kernu Kara grew up on the volcanic feral world of Rajenn, a planet rich in mineral wealth and a strong heritage in warrior tribes, the perfect planet for the imperial guard. Kernu was born among the Suno clan, one of the larger tribes on the planet.

At 22 years old Kernu stands at 6’3” tall with long, shoulder length black hair, pale skin and dark eyes. He bears a tribal tattoo on his right shoulder and wears several slim braids in his hair signifying his clan. He is well muscled and fights in the 23rd Rajenn infantry.

Unknown to most of the planet’s population, Rajenn has recently fallen under the eyes of the inquisition due to a possible xenos artefact being found beneath the surface of the planet. The inquisition hopes to discern whether the population and its standing army have been corrupted by the artefact. Kernu and several other troopers have been volunteered to the inquisition as a show of good faith and sign of continuing loyalty to the Emperor during the investigation.

6. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Sounds good KC, your right a bit more fleshing out would be better, but a decent solid base. You should be fine with your home planet desription, I mean Cadia (One of the main planets in the Imperium) is covered in pillars of stone of Xenos origin, no one is able to work out what they do, or who made them, or how since the rock they are constructed of is alien to Cadia.

The Imperium doesn't just destroy Xenos artifacts on sight, they are more than willing to study them incase they provide vital knowledge, however those that study them are kept under close observation...and should the artifact be discovered to be dangerous or of heretical origin then it is destroyed.

The Inquisition may at first seem a single body working to smash the threats that beset the imperium. However its made up of thousands of seperate people, all with their own thoughts on how to go about things. Puritans will tell you that anything that isn't built by humans is heretical, and should be destroyed on sight (A Guilty till proven innocent view). There are more moderate Inquisitors who will destroy objects of Xenos origin once it has been deemed dangerous or heretical (An Innocent till proven guilty view). And finally there are the radicals that think that through studying chaos you can learn to defeat it, needless to say once Inquisitors cross this line they are not Inquisitors for long :p

I think thats enough writing today, I hope people don't mind me blurting out these little bits of knowledge...it should all help you understand the universe a bit better...hopefully :D

My babbling was only inspired by your post KC, not a comment on it or on your knowledge of the universe ;)

7. The Kilted Crusader

8. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Heh, yeah, I know well that not everyone serving the inquisition is all that... pure. But Narl sure doesn't :D

Anyways, another concept. Nicely different from the first, I might have to make difficult decisions about who I play.

Tybalt hails from a primitive world far away from the radiance of the Golden Throne. He was born to a small tribe of hunters, living a harsh life in the hellish jungles of his world. He learned to hunt and survive off the nature like all of his people, but anyone could tell there was something different in him. Something more, something that couldn't be explained. The elders of the tribe told that Tybalt would have a great destiny awaiting him, and many viewed him with certain sort of respect. His presence was always unnerving, and the feats he accomplished great. He was well built, with muscle and sinew of a warrior, but that was only expected. No, it was something else. Somehow he knew where the quarry would be and knew where to cast his spear. Many believed that their ancestors were guiding the boy.

Then, on the second day of the rain season, came the men of the God Emperor. In a great beast of screaming noise and heat they descented from the skies. People cast down their heads and bowed to the ground as they walked past them. But when they came to Tybalt, they suddenly halted. Their leader, a man with fierce eyes and grim face, laid his eyes upon the youth. He then spoke with a stern and strong voice. Tybalt was to come with them, to the Emperor, to serve him. Many rejoiced, for surely this was a sign of favour.
    The men stayed on the world for some time, apparently there was something else to be done as well. But when they returned to the tribe, Tybalt was guided off with them. He passingly noted that there must have been a hunt, for they had wounds and one of them was missing. But he paid no real attention, for the wonders he was about to see captured his mind completely.

Thus Tybalt ascended to heavens on a flaming ship, and he was told that there would, indeed, be a great destiny for him. He came to know more training, both in mind and in body, and he learned how very small and utterly insignificant the planet that had been his whole world was. It frightened him, and yet it also made him curious. His training was harsh, but so had been his life before, and although he felt the pain, he endured. He came to know what his talents were, and the horrible danger they carried. But he knew danger well, and looked on courageously - perhaps too much. He understood the risks and worshipped the Emperor as piously as was needed, true, but never more than that. His superiors always gazed at the squat, muscular psyker-youth a bit suspiciously, but could find no real fault. It was simply a feeling, a fear. Perhaps, they fathomed, his primitive mind would be fertile ground for the heretic thoughts.
    Whatever the truth, it will soon be found out, as Tybalt's training is done. His first mission will be equally to train him in real missions, as much as it is to ensure his faith and loyalty.

On a first glance, Tybalt appears different from what one would expect. He is a young man, not truly even an adult in many worlds. But on his own planet, he is a warrior in his prime years. He is squat and wide, and stronger than many older men. Many ritual scars still mark his chest and face. Perhaps the greatest of his shortcomings is his terrible bluntness. He never has much patience, always favoring a hands-on approach for everything. Why sneak around it when you can attack up front? Why barter when you can demand? This might very well cost him much, but only time will tell.

Something different this time. He might well be the complete opposite of Narl. Amusingly, the generator rolled 40 for both Strenght and Toughness. His whole statline was WS29 BS24 S40 T40 Ag32 Int 35 Per33 WP31 Fel23, W10 FP1. Rather good if I may say.

9. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    That is a pretty damn good stat line, don't forget that your gonna have to roll on the "Sanctioning effects" table, no one escapes the process unchanged ;) and psykers start 3d10 years older than other characters due to the amount of time spent in training though that still allows you to be young with some good rolls :D...other than that its a good back story!

And my earlier comment on agents not all being angels was more of a general thing just to lower the chances of getting a group of saints...needless to say that its very hard to be a saint without dieing in the Imperium :p Infact I'm not sure there are many, if any, living saints!

10. Goli Ironhead Gems: 16/31

Hmmh, I'm not sure if the age was actually included, but if it was, then he either rolled three ones or he'd be REALLY young otherwise. Got a sixteen. So I rolled 3d10 and got another 16, making 32. And the effect I received from the happy funny list was Irradiance. Amusingly, I actually like a bald look.
    This character concept is not entirely mine, to be honest. I remember this old comic from when the Game Workshop's monthly comic, aptly named Warhammer monthly, still ran. It was a short story about an almost messianic youth on his primitive planet. He helped his tribe to prevail through the odds, using his psychic power instinctively and a Space Marine chapter took note of him and claimed him. It was a somewhat memorable story.

Anyways, I rather like making up characters, so I'm posting a random concept. Perhaps it helps someone.

Finial the Tech-priest.
    From as young as Finial could remember, he had always known the dull drumming of ship engines and the screams of the machinery. Actually, he had known that for longer, from womb. The sound of the engine had been his lullaby and to him, the shaking, wheezing ship was like a cradle, gently rocking him to sleep. He never knew his parents, the closest thing being a rogue trader called Mira, an old woman who was by no means kind, but neither unjust. She told that his mother had been an arbitrator, needing a quick passage to some other planet from some planet Mira could no longer recall. Finial was born aboard the ship, and abandoned soon after. Perhaps it was some shame, or perhaps his mother was afraid she would risk the life of her child, but nevertheless only one person left the ship when it landed, not two.

Even from a young age, Finius showed an aptitude for all sorts of machines. They were his only friends when he was a child, and he repaid their calming screeches and whoozes by making them work when they failed. Mira always made clear that it was that talent that allowed him to stay, not some kindness. Finius worked for his food, and with time came to view the machinery around him more like a person than a lifeless thing. He even talked to it, and in his mind it also answered. Machines, for him, were more like people than the few crewmembers or even Mira.Year by year, the man became more and more estranged from people, and could go on for weeks without speaking a word to anyone - anyone but the ship's engine, of course.

Finius could perhaps have had a very satisfactory life with his dear machines, fixing them and showing them unanswered love and cherish, were it not for one fateful day. that morning - a very relative time in the blackness of the space - he woke up like the countless ones before that, and routinely climbed to inspect the engine and greet it. But instead of the indifferent, constant noise, he heard it moaning in agony. Something was very wrong, and Finius dove down to investigate. When he could see nothing right away, he pushed deeper. And suddenly, it was not only the machine that screamed, for with a loud crack, Finius' voice joined it. Whatever had been jammed and was troubling the engine had suddenly come loose, and the puny leg of bone and flesh offered no resistance like metal had. But the Machine Spirit looked favourable upon the loyal servant, for even as it twisted his leg horribly turned it into a bloody wreck, it did not allow the errant part to tear it off. Finius crawled out, moaning in pain, but also uttering praises for the engine for letting him be spared.

As Finius' leg slowly healed from the many fractures, he had tome to ponder. He did not blame his old friend, for obviously it had been him who was careless. He had thought the machine was without dangers, and he had paid. And neither did he despair, for this act of mercy showed that he had hope. Obviously, the great machine could have torn him in half and cast the bloody pieces around the engine room like leaves to the wind, but it had just given him a stern lesson. A lesson that showed he had much to learn.

Finius would never walk entirely straight, forever having a limping gait from his many fractures, but it did not slow him down when he finally bid farewell to Mira and his beloved engine and machines and left his home. He traveled far to beg the Machine Adepts of the Imperium to allow him to learn in their knowledge and grow wise. After conversing with the Machine Spirits and trying the boy, the recognized his potential and accepted him as an acolyte. Finius marveled the many machines they saw him worthy of, showing no doubt when one was pierced through his skull or when his spine was drilled to allow another be attached to it. When metal replaced flesh, he felt more whole, more true to his own self. He eagerly learned the many rites to calm the Machine God and equally to rouse it from slumber, and only felt sorrow when he was deemed too inexperienced to learn more yet.

Finius is but a technographer yet, but none can deny his potential and his eagerness. Perhaps that was the very reason the Inquisition decided to recruit him, although they have made clear they do not like amount of worship he gives for the machine compared to what he gives for the Emperor. Finius always replies that surely he is only worshipping an aspect of Him, and nothing more, but it is easy to doubt his words when he turns to watch the parts of an engine operate and forgets everything around him right away.

Finius, Void Born Tech-Priest.
    (Implants or other things not factored into the starting stats) WS27 BS35 S20 T31 Ag38 Int40 Per28 WP35 Fel35 W7 FP3
    I just realized the statline actually fits him very well in some parts. Although he probably has never lifted anything heavy and he isn't exactly observant.

11. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Well, with the assistance of that character generator, I decided to create a character I could get to like. So here are my first thoughts:

Records show that Vern was inducted into the Schola Education program on Phidark IV almost 46 years ago. Born on the nearby Phidark II, Vern was merely a couple of years old when the planet was raided by Eldar corsairs. The assault was swift and terrifyingly one-sided; the planet's defences were poorly designed and had never been intended to stand up a full-scale attack. The alien pirates disappeared as quickly as they had arrived, seeming to vanish when the comparatively sluggish arm of Imperial retribution arrived. Vern's parents were amongst the many missing believed to have been carried off by the invaders. As with all of those lost, their exact fate is, and will likely remain, unknown, but the idea that they would still be alive would be ludicrously optimistic at best.

For most of the survivors, life went on- albeit in a more fearful way. Indeed, it was rumoured that a member of the Inquisition had been deployed to watch the planet for signs of discontent and rebellion. This rumour alone was enough to quash any thoughts of outright rebellion. However, Vern was more fortunate than most of those left behind- his father had been a relatively highly ranked Judge of the Adeptus Arbites on Phidark II and memory of his success prompted Imperial officials to take the orphan to the system's fourth planet and induct him in the Imperial Creed.

If those officials had harboured hopes that Vern would prove to be an exceptional student, they must have been disappointed for, while notably quick of mind, Vern was no prodigy. On the other other hand, their efforts were not in vain, for Vern showed interest in upholding Imperial Law and quickly matured into a pragmatic young man. Upon graduation and becoming a Progena of the school, Vern was inducted into the Adeptus Arbites and was posted out to the third planet of the Agama system.

Agama III was, as best as the term can be applied to Imperial planets, fairly average. Indeed, one of the few things that made it stand out was the frequency with which Rogue Traders visited. The area of space near the Agama system was largely uncharted and the possibility of riches, acclaim and adventure drew those who needed to live their lives on the edge of a knife. As Agama III had the system's only real port for travelling ships, it was here that the Traders would return to in between voyages. Unknown to those involved at the time, it was one of these ships that eventually shattered the world's peace.

The Rogue Trader in question had come across a small Space Hulk and, unwilling to share the technology aboard with any other, had said nothing of his discovery. He had briefly explored the first half of the craft and had returned to Imperial space to resupply before heading back out once more. As fortune would have it, the Space Hulk had, as they do from time to time, a few inhabitants: genestealers. A couple of the creatures manage to slip aboard the Rogue Trader's ship unnoticed and, from there, were carried to Agama III where they escaped deep into the slums of the world's capital.

As time passed, the alien monstrosities infected an ever-greater number of the population and eventually the genestealer cult rose up in active rebellion, attempting to seize the planet as their own. The battle for control of the world raged for quite some time for, while the Imperial forces still held most of the military equipment, the cult had infiltrated practically every organisation and there were few ways of telling friend from foe. When even those he fought to protect moved to stab him in the back, Vern learned the truth of a teaching he had heard back on Phidark IV: 'there are no civilians in the battle for survival'.

As the cultist victory looked inevitable, salvation arrived in the form of an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor who had intercepted the planet's distress call and moved to investigate. The highest ranked officials on the planet were, along with the surviving Arbitrators, sheltering in the stronghold of the Arbites' Courthouse and were, after a thorough physical and psychic examination, shuttled into the orbiting Imperial Maul. At this point there could be no doubt as to the fate of Agama III; the infection was deemed too widespread to be countered and Exterminatus was declared upon it.

Hope this fits in with what Dark Heresy considers acceptable background. I've intentionally stopped Vern's history here so that you can fit him into your campaign without too much trouble.

Physically, Vern would perhaps be best described as 'svelte'. He weighs in at approximately 70 kilograms and stands 1.85 metres tall. To his disappointment, he has never gained the same muscle bulk that many members of the Arbites do through intense physical training. His skin is fair, he is blue-eyed and he keeps his dark hair cropped close to his head. Common to all Progena of Phidark IV, he has a tattoo of the Imperial Aquila on his left shoulder. Vern is now 48 standard Terran years old, although in the Phidark system, this would mean that he is only in the early stages of his middle age. While always a stern, unforgiving man, his experiences on Agama III have hardened him further to the point where he is truly ready to sacrifice a few innocents if it means getting the mission accomplished. Additionally, he is occasionally haunted during his sleep by memories of desperate fighting against the inhumanly fast cult members within city blocks and his right hand is known to twitch towards his side whenever someone makes a sudden move in his presence.

The stats the generator gave me to work with were:
    WS-29 BS-25 S-24 T-31 Ag-36 Int-36 Per-35 WP-35 Fel-32 Wounds-10 Fate-2

12. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Nice one Decados, I was hoping someone might choose to play and Arbite, they can open up some possibilities, and places other careers can't get to :)

The Campaign will begin on a planet called Solomon, in the Markayn Marches Subsector of Callixis. So if people aren't good at backgrounds, you can be a local, your Inquisitor is called "Inquisitor Kaltos of the Ordo Hereticus". You will all be contacted by the Inquisitor in some form, through a message, personally or a superior (if your a guardsman this is most likely) or something and told to meet somewhere. You will meet the rest of the group and told what your goal is. Whether you put how you meet the Inquisitor in your background or you leave it for me to do in the first post is up to you :)

Also if people can PM their email addresses I can send them some character stuff...that generator gives a good base, and this stuff will fill in the details :D

EDIT - I don't mind if you arrive with the Inquisitor, but you haven't known him for long and he's still very much a mystery to you, since I doubt he'd put much time aside for a simple acolyte like you ;) You might get to know him better as time goes on...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  13. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I saw the book and I have to admit, it sounds promising. Let me know if there is still a spot or another game pops up. Anyone looking for an Arbitrator, or is Vern already fitting the bill? I'd probably be making a hiver, but from then on it depends. I guess what's good for the goose is good for the ganger :) .

Edit: The character is as linked, only with a mesh instead of chain. Is there a site with online character sheets, by the way?

Edit 2:

"Mongrel "Garvel Drake, Trooper from Malfi

In the first 35 years of his life, Garvel Torn knew little except of the run-down hab block he lived in and the factory where he worked, in one capacity or another, since almost the time when he could carry a box of plasticard. His parents had worked there, his brother and sisters did, and he was drilled into believing that his wife and children would work here too, producing the same fitting element for the Emperor’s armies – and never knowing where it would go or why. Frankly, he didn’t much care – the life of a factory dreg on Malfi is hard enough without such petty distractions, and the Emperor would surely frown on such frivolities anyway. So the lean, tanned (more by background radiation from various materials than sunlight) grew on working, sleeping, talking to people and, at times, eating. His quick mind and natural affinity with people eventually made him somewhat of a leader among his peers, and it was noted that, Emperor willing, the kid might end up somewhat better than his parents did – maybe even a supervisor.

However, around the age of 34 Malfian years (some 24 Terran), Garvel’s elder brother Myron Torn disappeared. Garvel did his best to find him, but it appeared as if Myron had simply vanished into thin air that day - there were no people who saw him after he left the factory block, no people who saw him in the cantinas, nothing. Garvel started more and more of his time trying to find something about him, but for a long time, he had no success. Then, he met Tixia, a worker from a different factory who had lost her daughter, and through her others. Eventually, he realized that his brother’s disappearance was far from an isolated case, and it appeared that it was too organized and careful to be a standard scum affair. With this knowledge, he went to the nearest Adeptus Arbites office and asked for cooperation – theirs or his – in resolving this case.

Thinking in retrospect, he realizes he would have most likely be thrown out, possibly given a black eye for his troubles. Yet his passion and intelligence interested in the still-idealistic regulator who spoke to him, who told that the office had been working on the case and that it appeared that a Ganger boss might have more intelligence or support than normal, and that he might be of use in the search. Needless to say, the youth jumped at the opportunity; though when his elder sister learned of what he did, she did try her best to beat some sense into him. It wasn’t the first time she tried to do so, and it wasn’t the first time she failed: for the next year, he carefully collected choice information learned over the assembly line, lunch, and tankards of rotgut that may have some connection to the case, and fed them to the office promptly. For further chance of success, he was told to act in a manner typical of a scum sympathizer and look in a similar manner as much as possible without causing undue attention to himself. Though this alienated some of his former friends and shifted popular opinion against him, the change was perceived as genuine. Eventually, his patience was rewarded when he was told to act as bait for an operation to trap the gang boss; though this would have troubled even most dedicated Imperial citizens, Garvel agreed.

Garvel was supposed to be a contact from a gang from a different section of the Hive, which was interested in forming an organization to overthrow a mutual enemy. The operation started well – the boss, Stig, did come out with only a few bodyguards. However, it turned out that the ambush backfired; several members of the group that was supposed to apprehend him turned on their fellows and the capture turned into a dogged firefight. Garvel himself was injured in the very beginning, and only the Emperor’s will and his own reflex prevented a slug that grazed his scalp from finding his brain. He fought with unrivaled zeal, however, and used a shotgun that was handed to him by one of the arbiters to deadly effect. Ultimately, the gangers and the bribed arbiters were killed or captured, and the gang was routed later that day. Garvel himself was allowed to participate, and he found a small measure of satisfaction from uprooting their nest and freeing some of their captives. He also found his brother’s gloves on the hands of a killed ganger, however – and found only two bits of reassurance he received from the arbiters. One that at least he need not worry anymore: gangers being the scum that they were, his brother was dead. The second is that he would have a chance to dispense vengeance on more of them; starting the next week, he would be a trooper.

The following few months passed in grueling training and discipline, or as much of both as a minor precinct school of the Adeptus Arbites could muster. Garvel endured both seemingly without any change (even his hair kept its dyed white color), but the suspicion that there was more to the kidnappings than a ganger affair gnawed on to him. Eventually, he was told that an important person wanted to speak to him. This is the first, and so far only, time that Garvel saw the men who he would work for; Inquisitor Kaltos of the Ordo Hereticus. For once, the young trooper was incredulous – what would an Inquisitor want with him?

Whatever the men spoke about, Garvel walked out seemingly just as he had walked in. He finished his training and got on with work on the streets, proving to be a capable – if not incredible – operative both when words and guns were called for. He saw his family somewhat less often now, and when he did it appeared to him that proud as they all were, his parents carried a slight grudge that their son had embarked on a different path. Yet in all he did, he seemed to always be eager to find out something more, something beyond the local gang raid or rabble-rousing scum. And when the call from the Inquisitor came, he answered and left the block, hive, and planet he had spent his entire life on.

While Garvel can be described as wiry, he is deceptively strong and has the stamina of a long-distance runner. Outwardly, he looks like a fashionable - one might even say decadent - young hiver of middling status, and can easily pass for a friendly socialite. Yet despite the piercings on his ears, and the carefully maintained white and black streaks in his hair, he is a fully trained Arbites trooper and every bit as dangerous as any other recruit. He shows promise in both close combat and gunfights, and though he is not particularly agile, his wits and senses more than make up for it. Though he still sometimes struggles with doubts, which he hides behind an easy smile, his steely grey eyes flash with the determination of a man that would keep going - no matter what.

(Note: he will refer to himself as Garvel Drake)

Stats: WS 31, BS 33, S 33, T 35, Ag 28, Int 40, Per 33, WP 28, Fel 37, Wounds 12, Fate 2

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  14. Mandroid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hey I'm new here, not too familiar with role playing in this context, a bit more familiar with 40k though, well some of the books. I hope there's still a place available, hopefully this character will fit in. Feedback is more than welcome.

EDIT: Forgot this appearence bit...
    EDIT 2: Forgot his current age.

Solus stands at 5’ 10” tall. His light brown hair hangs loose down to the centre of his back. With the exception of his left eye which is half green, half black, he is unremarkable in appearance. He hides a faded scar, running down from his right ear to the middle of his throat. He is 25 but the the relentless grind of life has warped his features so that he looks much older than his actual age.

Born on a hive world, Solus existed in the rotting arse of society until the people rose up against the Imperium; the planet was deemed heretical and was violently suppressed leaving few alive. Solus, aged 15, was able to secure transport to the imperial world of Pantheon II from a sympathiser.

Having fallen through the cracks of society on this new world, he is able to live out a meagre existence as a scribe, using the tools available to him to anonymously disseminate anti-Imperium propaganda and to bring to light the savage destruction of his home world.

Always on the verge of being discovered as a heretic, he constantly lives on edge, always keeping himself to himself. He looks out for himself because he has no choice. He sees himself always in the grand scheme as a propagator, not as a defender of ‘justice’ on a physical level, to him that is unattainable and futile. If he sees someone being mugged he will not help, he would be bringing unwanted attention on himself and would not fix anything in the grand scheme of things. He cannot let the injustice and suffering in everyday life affect him, he must be a vessel, it must pass through him and out through his propaganda, he cannot let it dwell or he will be consumed.

He would be an anarchist if such a word existed, but such a word cannot be let in to the vocabulary of the populace…to some he is a heretic, a criminal, someone to be weeded out and destroyed.

He has been called by the inquisition; he has no idea if it is because of his heretical practices, or if they even know about it. He can only go and expect the worst.

This is what came up in the character roll:

WS 29
    BS 33
    S 31
    T 34
    Ag 32
    Int 37
    Per 35
    WP 34
    Fel 37
    W 12
    FP 3

Last edited: Sep 7, 2008
  15. Decados

Decados The Chosen One

Media:
    Interesting characters, Mandroid and Shaman.

I assume Solus is an Adept?

I've also noted that both characters have received very decent attribute rolls- only three results below 30 between them. I thought I had got not too bad results, but I'm starting to feel outclassed! :p

16. Mandroid Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Cheers. I was actually thinking scum for Solus.

17. The Kilted Crusader

OK, so I did a bit more work on the character and got a bit carried away with the home world (it’s a little epic ;) ). Ah well, I think it could be useful for a bit of fanfic later

Home world: Rajenn

Rajenn is a volcanic death world, constantly suffering from volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and a surface that regularly changes terrain. Despite these problems the planet is rich in mineral wealth. It is thought the human inhabitants were originally miners stranded during the Age of Strife. The inhabitant’s society has since changed into that of nomadic tribes of fierce warriors and hunters where constant natural disasters force them to move their homes regularly. Often, tribes will go in search of rich veins of minerals – the planet’s primary export - as the leaders of the clans will reward the tribes generously in imported goods for large amounts of useful mineral ore.

Along with its human inhabitants, Rajenn is home to a sizeable population of large predators, from large lizards and mammals to huge carnivorous fish. These creatures are the basis of many of the tribes’ diet.

There are six main clans among the tribes The Kyl; the Suno; the Annlo; the Corik; the Ined and the Dis. Each clan has its own distinctive tribal designs, often tattooed on the warriors of its tribes. In addition they also have distinctively different rites and ways of dress. The Lord of each clan serves as a counsellor to the planetary governor – the current governor being of the Kyl clan. Although they serve as allies, there is very little friendship between the clans and many skirmishes between them occur regularly as each clan vies for political strength. Indeed, this is encouraged as it keeps the planet’s inhabitants strong and experienced in battle although it is assumed by all that outright civil war would be swiftly quashed by another off world party of the Imperium.

Rajenn has been part of the Imperium for a little over 300 years, with many of its inhabitants swiftly formed into an Imperial Guard regiment upon its return to the Imperium. With its return to the Imperium also came the building of its one and only city, Tarix. Built upon the steadiest area of the planet Tarix is where the Lord of each clan resides and where all of its politics are conducted. Although it is virtually unrecognisable as a city to an off worlder – it is tiny and extremely primitive in comparison to any other city in the Imperium, it is considered a sacred place on Rajenn and no fighting is allowed within its walls. It is also the duty of the new conscripts to the Rajenn Guard regiment to reinforce its defences.

The Rajenn Guard regiment follows its own training regime and advancement, with conscripts taken from the warriors of the various tribes and banded together under a veteran of one of the warrior lodges – fully fledged members of the Rajenn regiment that have seen war in the 41st millennia and lived long enough to earn retirement. The conscripts are then put through rigorous training and testing - only finishing when their leader decides they are worthy to join the warrior lodge. The training often involves brutal methods as the conscript’s are forced to condition their knuckles, shins and elbows, hardening their bodies into blunt weapons. The conscripts are also placed into competition with each other through endurance races, bare knuckle fights, weight lifting and various other sports. These can often breed long term enmity between some that the veterans term as “healthy”.

Once they have gone through the rites of passage into the warrior lodge they are gifted with a lasgun, a shotgun and a set of flak armour, created on Rajenn as quality equipment customised from Imperial Armour designs. The armour is a close fitting survival suit – virtually an armoured body glove - and the helmet is a slim, full faced mask. Troopers are reserved the right to customise the armour as they see fit, often to show their own clans origins or to mark their achievements. At this point the conscript’s generally serve in the Rajenn Planetary Defence Force for two years before they are moved off world.

The Rajenn regiments are mainly light infantry, brought into use when ferocity and solid troops are needed over heavy armour.

Unknown to most of the planet’s population, Rajenn has recently fallen under the eyes of the inquisition due to a possible xenos artefact being found beneath the surface of the planet. The inquisition hopes to discern whether the population and its standing army have been corrupted by the artefact. Several troopers have been volunteered to the inquisition as a show of good faith and sign of continuing loyalty to the Emperor during the investigation.

Furion grew up on Rajenn amongst a tribe of the Ined clan. He lived his young life with little incident, playing and fighting in equal measure with the other children of the tribe. As he grew it became more obvious that he would invest his adult years as a warrior of the tribe rather than a hunter or miner as he revelled in the use of the bone practice weapons the children carried – occasionally seeking out trouble with the others just so he could put them to use.

At sixteen he finally found a time to put his practice into action as he joined the other warriors of the tribe in his first skirmish against another tribe in a small border dispute but it was in this that he found huge exhilaration the heated battle where one slip could see you dead. He’d see several other small skirmishes over the next two years, most ending with a few injuries to both sides but few deaths. At eighteen, he began to feel himself growing bored – with little to do but hunt and wait for the next small skirmish, the Imperial Guard regiment had started to look more and more appealing to him as he had seen them many times in their training – sparring with weapons, racing over the hills and perfecting their aim on the ranges. After only a short month with little to do he signed up, instantly being thrown into the harshest regime his body had ever felt. By the time his training had ended he felt stronger and tougher than he had ever felt and when he received his armour and weapons from his new warrior lodge he had felt invincible. For the past two years he has served in the Rajenn Planetary defence force in the 23rd regiment, spending most of his time in training and practice, using the rest of his time in competition at the warrior lodge – preparing for the coming day when he will be moved off world to fight the enemies of Mankind.

At 20 years old Furion is now a tall man at 6’ 3” well muscled with long black hair, dark eyes and pale skin. On his right shoulder he wears a tribal design tattoo depicting a volcano with a sun erupting from its peak indicating his clan and he wears several slim braids in his shoulder length hair. Furion is reasonably good looking and if it weren’t for his rough, tribal appearance his face would look right at home on an imperial guard recruiting poster.

He generally wears the close fitting Flak armour of the Rajenn regiment or his own simple clothes – basically two wide strips of cloth, one wrapped around the waist and another tied over the shoulders and midriff to form a simple kilt and shirt and bare feet, which are the norm on Rajenn but would look ancient and totally out of place on more advanced worlds.

Although usually good humoured, Furion has been known to have a short temper – particularly when bored – and can often seem a little cold and distant to those he has just met. Although primarily a fighter, his training in scouting and experience in hunting can sometimes allow him to spot things others might not. He prefers to think for himself rather than follow others blindly, just as he knows when it is best to fight and when it is best to cut his losses and retreat.

Weapon skill 36
    Ballistic skill 37
    Strength 39
    Toughness 42
    Agility 36
    Intelligence 29
    Perception 33
    Willpower 27
    Fellowship 24
    Wounds 13
    Fate Points 2

I got a dead jammy(!) roll for his stats, but hopefully it reflects the character well enough. I changed his name and his clan from before. I think he could be seen as the muscle of the group but he’s also not a numpty.

I guess for the home world regiment, I was seeing a group with advanced weapons but with an old tribal warrior background and code – a bit like the mandalorians in Star Wars but, meh. Feedback is very welcome, folks! :)

18. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    Well I think that takes us up to 6 characters which is enough I think....so I'll call a close to the recruiting :)

@The Shaman: By god your man is a genius! I think we'll have to put his noggin to good use with 40 intelligence...Good background too if you can PM me your email I'll send you lots of additional information on your character :)

@Mandroid: Welcome aboard, don't worry about not being too familiar with RP like this, I've barely done any myself :p though I have followed a fair few and given this alot of thought...Your character looks solid, it could be interesting to play with the whole idea that he thinks of himself as a bit of a heretic (just go careful that it doesn't get in the way of you enjoying yourself :)). If you PM me your email I can send you the stuff on scum and hive worlders.

@Kilted Crusader: Uh...wow...thats ALOT of detail, bravo to you! :D and your guy is tough, I mean really tough. Same to you if you send me your email I get you the stuff on feral worlders and guardsmen.

So yeah I need peoples emails as it makes getting you the stuff you need easier and also provides me with another way to get hold of you, also include a list of things your interested in...like homeworlds, careers and I'll put together some documents for you! Working on getting equipment done since you get to buy some new shinies for your characters before the game...and the career advancements too...but all in due time :D

Also feel free to ask any questions about game mechanics, characters, people, places, or the 40k universe in general!

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/dark-heresy/downloads.shtml

and you can download a character sheet from the above link :)

19. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Thanks, I'm working on the character sheet. BTW, is a knife a balanced weapon? It is given as an example of one in the description of balanced weapons, but it's not listed in the weapon properties.

Edit: Can we change our divinations before we start, or should we keep it as it was?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  20. Dave the Magic Turtle Gems: 16/31

Veteran

Media:
    I'd say that a knife is not a balanced weapon...your bog standard knife is a last resort weapon and certainly not a preferable combat weapon. I would say that the knives refered to in the description would be longer knives (or short swords) designed with combat in mind :)

As to Divinations and other things, well thats up to you, but I'm trusting you all to accept the new result even if its worse :p and I'll limit you to 1 re roll!

Someone asked after the way XP is used and how you level up and stuff so I thought I'd do my best to explain here.

In Dark Heresy you gain XP in blocks when ever the GM deems it suitable, though this is generally after a suitable closing point to a bit of the story. You also begin the game with 400XP which can be spent before everything starts. Each career levels up in ranks, and at each rank you gain access to new skills and talents and stat advances, these cost XP. So like buying equipment with money you purchase skills with XP. You can purchase skills from the rank you currently possess as well as any ranks you have held prior to that (its important to make the distinction since some careers branch off into different paths).

So before the game starts you will have 400XP to spend on skills and talents from your starting rank, you will also have some money to spend on equipment...this is pretty much the one and only time EVER you will not have to worry about locating items, so invest well :)

Anyway if I'm not too busy tomorrow I will get some documents out to those who need them!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.