1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Dalekeeper not working

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by merlac, Apr 14, 2008.

1. merlac Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I installed Dalekeeper, mainly to edit the appearances of my dual classed characters (I can't stand having my fighter7/illusionist still looking like a fighter), but it's not working! When I start it up you get the little window while it loads the data, but about two thirds into the second one it says "seek failed on unnamed file" and all I'm left with is to click "ok" and then I get a message saying something like "Dalekeeper can't find Icewind Dale date, please check the install path" in a window that's titled "can't find chitin.key". So I checked the install path, that is as it should be, then I checked the chitin.key and that is in that folder aswell. So what is wrong?

2. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It doesn't work with some mods installed.

Have you tried reinstalling Dalekeeper? I usually install it in IWD root directory (the same directory as the IWD executable file).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  3. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

4. merlac Gems: 2/31

The mod incompatibility is probably it then, because I have pretty much all available Icewind Dale mods installed. I'll try reinstalling it, but if that doesn't help I'll try that other savegame editor. Thanks for the help!

5. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I have not been able to get the IE Savegame Editor to work either.

6. Thrasher91604

EDITTED:

@merlac

Have you tried the IE savegame editor? I would try that before reinstallation - worked for me.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

If you have Auril's Bane installed, Dale Keeper will not work.

8. Thrasher91604

The savegame editor can work if you have the G3 tweakpack installed with HoW.

The G3 tweakpack also breaks Dalekeeper (depending, I imagine, on the components selected during install).

Don't know if the savegame editor breaks with Auril's Bane.

9. T2Bruno

Media:
    I have not been able to get the IE Savegame Editor to work at all. The documentation for the editor is substandard. I have HoW and ToL installed, fully patched, but no fan-based mods.

10. Thrasher91604

Really? It worked just fine for me with HoF and TotL and the G3 Tweak Pack, whereas DaleKeeper did not.
    The documentation was a bit lacking, but was good enough for me to quickly edit my characters.

Perhaps you were using a less mature version.

The version I have is 1.0.0.9_r21.

11. T2Bruno

Media:
    That's the version I have. I open a saved game, the characters names appear on folders to the left, but there is nothing in the boxes to the right. Nothing -- they're all blank.

12. Thrasher91604

I had no such problems with it.

I did have the G3 Tweak Pack installed (v8), though, so there's a difference.

Another is I had the patch for the "lower dorns deep crash on entrance" bug.

Dalekeeper worked for a while, but then broke, and I had to switch to the IESE. Maybe somthing in that history had something to do with my relative success...

In any case, I still suggest that the OP try it. I had success with it. It shouldn't hurt to try. Just don't overwrite the original savegame file with the edited savegame (give it a different name), just in case.

13. merlac Gems: 2/31

Well I can't get the IE savegame editor to work either, first it asks me about the install path and when I set that correctly it says the ITMfile.BIF is the wrong size :confused: It then gives me the option to extract it from the disc, but when I try that (after backing it up of course) nothing actually happens and when I close and restart the editor it starts asking me about the install path again :confused: It must have something to do with the mods I have installed, so I'm pretty much throwing in the towel and play the game unedited.

14. Thrasher91604

Sorry to hear your pain. :(

I seem to remember some complication about getting the install path working right, but can't remember the solution. I do know that I installed the editor itself in a separate directory, far from the IWD location.

I'm wondering if there a difference caused by IWD installation options?

It did, really DID, work for me.

15. merlac Gems: 2/31

For my current game it doesn't really matter anymore, because I reached the final battle of TotL last night, so I'm pretty much finished. But when IWD1 NPCs is released I am going to try it and a working savegame editor might come in handy. Maybe I'll try a clean install before that and see how it works out.

16. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

IE save game editor does not work for me either. But I guess it is natural punishment for having so maaany mods?

I only wanted to change the avatar of some of my characters but it seems I can not. Do you have any idea how I can change an avatar without using save game editors? I am in pain. :(

17. Eldritch Researcher Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

For Dale Keeper Save Game Editor

Try this:
    1. Run the Icewind Dale game.
    2. Load up the save game you want to edit.
    3. During the game, drop all your items to the ground.
    4. Save the game using a different save slots just in case, named it "for editing"
    5. Quit the game and open Dale Keeper
    6. Load up the save game "for editing", Dale Keeper shouldn't have a problem loading it.

Alternately, you can try temporarily uninstalling mods that do some cosmetic changes, specially for items ( e.g. ID Tweak Packs item icon improvement)

The Great Snook likes this.
  18. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Someone else might still benefit from your response, but the OP has likely moved on since it's been 8 years... ;)

19. xosmi Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    Who knows ?maybe the OP is stil waiting to this very day like so :shake:

[​IMG]

Taluntain likes this.
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.