1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Daggerdale - Reviews at EN World, Neuroglyph

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by Taluntain, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]Now that Daggerdale's been out for a while, the reviews are popping up and in short, it ain't pretty. Both EN World and Neuroglyph (sites with a core D&D audience to boot) have posted detailed reviews and they aren't happy with the game at all. If you want to find out all the reasons why I suggest you read the full reviews, but this summary from EN World's review will probably suffice:

Frankly, if D&D fans want an “authentic” D&D experience, they won’t find it in Daggerdale. And I find that disappointing because I was really hoping for a game experience that would showcase how much fun D&D 4E can be. But for gamers that want a D&D play experience, they will have to look back on good old D&D Online (DDO) – which has been out for years, is still free-to-play, and does a pretty bang-up job of presenting D&D 3.5 in a video game format. Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale ends up feeling like nothing more than a twitch-play video game wearing a D&D hoodie, and is frankly an embarrassment to the D&D franchise.​

Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Shocking! We all had such high hopes around here.

---------- Added 0 hours, 29 minutes and 30 seconds later... ----------

ROTFLMAO!!

3. Jezgar the Red Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Media:
    Thank you Attri

I concur with Taluntian,
    Iv'e been rollin dice & clickin mice for thirty years. I downloaded the Xbox trial just for a look, I don't call it D&D if I can't create my own character just another hack in' slash. PC looks the same by the reviews. This war wizard won't be wastein his cion..
    And I was really looking forward to it.

4. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It baffles me that the game-makers can't get it right with the fan base. D&D games sell because of their name. But they sell to the actual fan-base of D&D, not just gamers. If they want a winner on their hands, they need to make a deep game. Flashy graphics are boring.

5. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

They used to, anyway. But its not d&d anymore. The new rules are just a stremlined version of WoW. Rpg`s, as us oldtimers remember them, are dying. Plain and simple.

6. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    This one passed me by, and not complaining!

I really miss the old-school party based RPG's. And I mean real party! Not just 1 or 3 of them.

And hacking (mice-raping) tru never-ending hordes of anime-rejects is not my idea of an RPG!

Raw is right. We, who remember the old ways, watch the RPG dying.

Garry is really rolling in his grave...but not with dices!

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

RPG games are not dying, they are changing with the times. Most of the older RPG games had parties because the ability to play with actual other people was non-existence for computer gaming until the internet came out. Baldur's gate and old sytle text based MMO allowed users to play with other people who were not controlled by the computer.

At this current time, most RPG based party games are MMO like WOW. It is a pitty that most of the MMO RPG games are ruined by the younger and immature generation, but it is the new way to play RPG games. Thank god some companies still make good story driven RPG games with party based format, DAO, DAII, etc... Even though you don't have 6 party members, four is enough to get through most battles, etc...

Yeah it stinks that RPGs are no longer what they were, but it is better to have something to play than nothing at all.

8. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

I disagree. The actual Tabletop game "Rules" have changed, but not the game itself, as the Players and DM make the game. Converting even 4th edition to a CRPG should not be that challenging. Just add a story to make the game interesting. The actual game mechanics shouldn't be that tough to handle for them, as they are now dumbed down for idiot level play.

9. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

Well...in the 4ed rules you don`t even get to place skillpoints anymore. this bit was aparantly too complicated. But you do have a point. A good DM and some creative players can play anything. But the same people would also choose to play an rpg that has a good ruleset, I would suspect.

10. Darion

Darion Resident Dissident Veteran BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    3.5 was the best for me! There was little left that needed improvement.

As for cRPG's, may be, that the new ones are good too. But find my more drawn to the classics.

Imo since the couldn't shine with flashy fx, they shone because of something else.

11. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I liked the Drakensang games, though. Both games were damn refreshing. Gave me that old-school feeling when I played them.

12. Darion

Media:
    Then you surely have played the Realms of Arcania Trilogy. 'Das Schwarze Auge'

My faves by far. The level of involvement and micro management was epic!

The heroes could catch colds or infections and such! The Witch or healer in the party had to forage for herbal remedies and so on!:)

Yeah, Drakensang was really good. The fist DSA game in 10 years to hit the PC.

But it was still a rather simplified DSA.

13. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31

I think I played the Realms of Arcania games back in the days. The name seems familiar. I remember Betrayal at Krondor, Ultima 5-8, and Might and magic 6. Arena, was one too, but i remember giving up on it. Got lost all the time...I Should check out the arcania games this evening. Am sure they are fun.

14. Darion

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.