1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

D3 - Online Only?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 & 4' started by Splunge, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Faye

Faye Life is funny. Veteran

Media:
    Actually, you CAN play Starcraft 2 single player offline.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Really? Every time I throw the CD in it takes me to the battle.net login screen, I login, and then I get to play. How does one over-ride that? Like I said, the login happens everytime I put the CD in.

3. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Do you see what I mean Tal? You gripe on-line and next thing you know..voila.. single palyer is possible.:D

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  5. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

The whole point of Diablo is multiplayer and teaming up with your mates, innit? If I wanted single player I'd be playing Dragon Age which is more in-depth RPG anyway. Diablo is just not that sort of game. In the same way making Modern Warfare 3 without multiplayer would be the most ludicrous decision ever, whereas if you canned the single player no one would bat an eyelid.

Battlenet is still free, so as long as that is the case, Diablo 3 will be bought. Blizzard are one of the few large companies left that still make great, polished games. The fact they still release patches for Diablo 2 is simply amazing. Full credit.

6. sarevok66 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Veteran

D2 was fun as a single-player game, i tried a few times to play it online but it didn't take

and i wont be getting D3, for the reasons already mentioned by various posters above, and also because the graphics and classes really dont appeal to me

7. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

And then, there is the economy. Some people are losing their internet connection for lack of funds. What do they do about their Diablo fix?

8. Faye

Media:
    Go play Torchlight 2 instead? I've been hearing good things about 1 and I have read many comments from people not happy with Blizzard's move that they will Torchlight 2 instead. And I think the retail price would probably be lower too, perfect for someone with a pinched wallet/purse.

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Torchlight 2 is gonna be around $15-$20 USD, so definitely worth picking up. Playing the first one, and it's very good. Obviously needs some tweaks here and there being a game completed in something like 11 months, but the core mechanics are excellent. I can see the second one being a very decent game.

10. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Didn`t Blizzard say that D3 would also be available for consoles eventually? So if its online only...and you have an xbox360, you also have to pay for the xbox live gold membership as well, in order to play the game.

11. Sir Rechet

Sir Rechet I speak maths and logic, not stupid Veteran

The reason people played SP isn't the idiots, PKs, rampant trading or hacking - it's the LAG of battle.net.

Even when not playing HC mode, the sting of exp loss at high levels due to a lag death was aggravating enough to choose SP over MP, thank you very much.

12. Cap'n CJ

Cap'n CJ Arrr! Veteran

Media:
    Reading this thread, can't help but think of this.

13. Faye

Media:
    The problem is that many gamers are NATO (No Action, Talk Only) members. They whine, complain, scream boycott and in the end, relent and buy the games anyway (just look at the sales MW2 made). Unless gamers start putting their money where their mouth is, publishers will just ignore these threats.

Note: OTOH, MW3 will support dedicated servers apparently. Who knows, maybe if people whine loudly enough, D4 might not have these features.

14. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Depends on the type of gamer. I only have a smalll amount of timet to game these days. I won't give in and buy their game. I will play another's game instead that better suits my gaming preferences.

15. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Stop the whining. If the game gets an 90%+ score, we all will pick it up someday. Some after release, same when the price is halved, and the rest by piracy.

---------- Added 0 hours, 4 minutes and 1 seconds later... ----------

What if we would all give the money earned from the transaction to a good cause like UNICEF. Blizzard would not hesitate to join in.

16. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I don't know about that, Merlanni. You can be sure I won't get, neither when the price drops, nor by piracy. But of course, I didn't like Diablo 2 much either. It was fun for a while, and then I got bored with the endless grind so I stopped and haven't touched it since. Haven't even been tempted to reinstall since.

Of course I only played single player, but the player killing, item theft and general assholiness that I read about from people actually playing online (and still somehow liking to play online, too), put me off the online experience of Diablo 2. Kind of what the fanbase for Halo is nowadays famous for, minus perhaps the vocal diarrhoea.

The online requirement shouldn't really have been a surprise - they did it for Starcraft 2 too. It's more the wording of the Blizzard spokesman in the opening post that strikes me. It's like he's saying "We know how best to play our game, so we're not going to allow you to play it in any other way either."

It's actually not that different from the many railroaded, cinematic games we get nowadays, but at least the producers from those games don't say it in quite so direct and crude way.

/edit
    And yes, many people on the internet like to complain about many different aspects of games, like how Modern Warfare 3 was even thrashed before it was released for being basically Modern Warfare 1.2 (with Modern Warfare 2 being v1.1), but still 90% of those people bought it on release day. Apparently they can't resist and are gluttons for punishment, because this seems to happen with every release.

So I'm sure the same will happen for Diablo 3, as it also did for Starcraft 2, and it will sell outrageously well.

Same, actually as for DA2, because even when the warning signs were everywhere, still people bought it. I'm actually surprised ME2 sold as well as it did, given the shameless copy-pasting and generally boring gameplay in ME.

I also hold out no hope that me actually voting with my wallet will have any effect on publishers - I'm far too cynical for that. Publishers will just blame poor sales on piracy anyway. On the other hand, it saves me a lot of money and you can't miss what you don't have anyway.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  17. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    And I still don't get what the problem is. If you want to play D3 in single player mode, you can. I enjoyed Starcraft 2, and the number of multiplayer games I have played is exactly zero. Requiring you to have a battlenet connection does not mean that you can only play D3 within a party.

Heck, there is the whole NPC system that only functions when you are playing solo. I enjoyed both D1 and D2, and I will get D3 when it comes out. In fact, I plan on a computer upgrade at some point in the not too distant future (I'm thinking sometime around when I get my tax return) so that I can buy both Skyrim and D3 and play them both. I did play the online version of D2, but I never partied up with people, for the reasons stated here. The only purpose of my playing online was so I could trade some of my loot with other online players - I didn't want to actually play with them.

18. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    forgot about this tread.

As for Mass Effect, I agree. part 2 was boring. I left it halfway trough. Played part 1 3 times.

In skipped Diablo 2. Played part one until the click/fun ratio got to low.

The trick is to have hordes and hordes running amok, but not to need a truck with healing potion standing by.

---------- Added 0 hours, 0 minutes and 59 seconds later... ----------

And if that means to log in just like with Steam, why not.

19. diablo3warrior Banned

Online Only

D3 is now officially Online only gameplay and I know for a lot of people that's just sad. But you can still play solo.

What I've noticed while playing the beta is that you get more drops while playing solo especially if you have MF and GF items equipped. It is because when you multiply (up to 4) the MF and GF percentages are average among all members. So the one without MF and GF gears benefits from playing group than solo.:cool:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.