1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Customer banned from activation of DA2 due to post in BioWare community forum

Discussion in 'Dragon Age 2' started by The Magpie, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I don't agree with the analogies. He can play his game without interacting with anyone else; i.e. he doesn't have to be in the restaurant or the bar to use what he paid for. If they want to be able to ban people from their website because they are abusive, they need to separate that ban from playing the game, or give the money back.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  2. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Let's say you're right BTA... again how much money should they give him for over 3 days without the ability to pay? Certainly not all of it, because he's able to play the game again and will presumably be able to do so for many, many, many years to come.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Oh, since it was a "mistake" and only three days, I'd probably be OK with nothing if it were me. Maybe a free DLC or something would be nice.

But let me say this: When you pay for a game, the expectation is that you can play it as much as you want whenever you want. If the company is actively violating that expectation (i.e. they are banning you permanently) then I think they should refund you your money. If it was a mistake, or some technical glitch, then some compensation would be nice just for the sake of customer relations, but I wouldn't think necessary.

4. Marceror

Marceror Chaos Shall Be Sown In Their Footsteps Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    A free DLC would be nice. If he gets that, let me just say that I'll be the first guy on the Bioware boards trying to "replicate the issue." I'm sure I could dream up some new swear words that would be ban worthy! :lol:

Blades of Vanatar likes this.
  5. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

How about we work on something togehter.

By the way, my Bioware username is MEBengal2008.

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Forget banning - now it is termination. I wonder how EA will respond this time around.

7. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

EA has a new policy and if you attack Bioware directly or another forum member you are banned. As for attacking, it can be a simple word like I hate what you did for game x.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Four-year necro seems pretty extreme, but I couldn't pass it up. Apparently, gaming companies these days (now it's probably worse than it was 4 years ago) get to police the feedback they get and falsify community reception by discouraging negative feedback with a sort of chilling effect by rules and moderation and focusing on the positive. This can be used to remove consistent unwanted influencers who have zero record for real infractions.

A similar thing has happened to me on a different publisher's official board, and I've ended up being unofficially placed on their forums' discouragement list, which means simulated errors effectively making the forum useless to the user with perfect deniability and without having to deal with the backlash of a real ban. But they threatened me with that too, while also trumping up infractions such as spam or trolling or baiting me into replying to their taunts, which was then regarded as violating the rule that prohibited discussing moderation or disputing moderator actions, even though those were not actually moderator actions, not even a warning. And since every dev or marketing employee is technically a moderator, so quote + reply is technically responding to a moderator… you get the point. These kinds of loopholes is what gaming companies are already abusing in order to falsify feedback and manage a positive image.

This is a bit of a companion issue to how they eliminate substantive communication — or in some cases any communication at all — by designing their support lines in particular ways, so that there's effectively no support but community support.

Some companies go as far as not fixing bugs because they rely on community modders to do it for them. I've also seen bugs simply redefined into non-bugs by narrowing down the definition — there, problem solved.

Entire models are designed to cut more and more from the products and services offered to gamers while milking the cash. Add (depending on genre and publisher) rushed games, cut content, bland quests, recycled dungeons, skimping on large/important areas, underdeveloped AI and other ways in which we are being treated like idiots by marketing departments that think we're going to just take all crap they give us because they're so smart (or so they think) and we're so dumb.

They won't understand anything else than a PR shitstorm.

They won't even understand a sales drop, because that can always be blamed on insufficient appeal, bad timing, less than ideal communication — anything but treating us like crap, which they won't believe harms them until they see a PR shitstorm followed by a sales decrease, and only provided that they can't pull a strawman to blame someone else.

Speaking of which, corporate hubris and either rudeness or passive aggression is a problem. Or rather the problem is that they know they can get away with it, which has a demoralizing effect on them.

But if you vote with your wallet and support indie developers, you're soon going to see paid DLCs for early-access games. What's to stop them if even establish gaming companies are ready to stoop to crowdfunding and rely on community content creators?

This is part of a larger trend in business worldwide, which includes demonetization of certain professions, e.g. expecting creatives to work for fun and exposure rather than money, expecting translators to accept poverty out of passion for their work etc. — all so that some seriously underdeveloped (if not mentally arrested) manager or marketing person can rake in a bonus without doing real work any more.

Corporations are playing hardball, and they need shitstorms because shitstorms are the sole remaining form of communication they understand, short of massive fines from regulators.

damedog likes this.
  9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Funny you should mention this, because BioWare's boards have been shut down on August 26th. They're still up, but read-only. I guess that this won't be a problem any longer since BioWare's decided that they don't need their own forums any more...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  10. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    The wonderful world of AAA publishing. Act like an asshole, cut every corner you can, and blame everything on the consumers.

Still, I don't hate the suits. I hate every single person who enables them to act that way by preordering, buying day 1 DLCs and DLC season packs, or just generally throwing money at publishers for bad games and bad customer service, either because they don't care or are too ignorant to know better.

Support companies that care about their playerbase and buy AAA garbage when it's on sale for spare change if you really must. That's pretty much all you can do besides whining audibly, unless of course you have a large community platform where you can voice your opinions and expect to be heard. We could always use more Yahtzees, TotalBiscuits, etc.

11. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I believe some indie developers are not averse to trying to block negative reactions, either. The big corporations are not alone in that, at least.

I'd vote with my wallet and just don't buy games anymore. It's not like I've much time anyway, nor much inclination to play new games. My last played games are: Jade Empire, BG, Jagged Alliance 2, Stalker: CoP. Nothing newer than 2006, I believe.

But I believe I'm the exception, rather than the rule, given the reactions to e.g. any given CoD game, which gets a lot of hype and at the same time reactions of people saying they won't buy it because of how bad the previous iterations were, and then the game is released and they buy it anyway, then inevitably start to complain on how bad it is. You'd think people would learn from their mistakes, but maybe they're all hopeless optimists. Or hopelessly, naively, against better judgement, still buying into the hype train. Humans are herd animals, after all.

So in that respect, the marketing department's confidence in themselves appears, on the surface, to be not completely unwarranted.

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Definitely the sad thing is that they are not wrong in thinking they can get away with it. On the other hand, it is also a sad thing that they are liable to going down the drain the first moment they catastrophically screw it up, which is not impossible, even though it would be difficult for them to feel the full backlash of it given the empty hype generated by whitewashing-brainwashing marketing and the prevention of negative moods from spreading or finding expression at all. Like I said, voting with the wallet is not going to work simply because they're going to believe anything but that their cutting corners or being mean, passive-aggressive or exploitative was seen through and reacted to by the player base.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.