1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Custom avatars

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Tasohan, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Ironbeard Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

It's a collector. A bog-standard living person who goes about collecting dead people and selling them to a religious-type group who want everyone to have a proper burial.

2. Tasohan Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

That gives me an idea!...
    Nah forget it.
    Cool just leveled :)

3. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

yeah Ironbeard knows his stuff. I'm a collector.

4. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

[​IMG] Who cares what it is all I know is it's a cool sign.

5. Avooch Dar Guest

i think it is much more fun to go up in levels. It sort of shows how experienced you are and its fun.

6. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] I can't agree on that Avooch!

Spamming may be fun, but only for the one who makes those spams - IMHO :p :p

And as I say, WB!
    What took you so long! :mad:
    If noone did, I missed your spams ;)

7. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Hey Tal, I'm gonna order Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomikon through Amazon this week, and since you seem to be able to mess with the false coloring for the pc models, could you make a paladin based on the color scheme I send you? Or hell, If its too much to ask can I do it and send you my avatar?

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Actually that's one thing I can't do. (Well, I could, but it's too time consuming. I'd have to paint it manually since the char models in the engine use placeholders and no real colours. The game applies the suitable colours later.) I tried taking people's submitted avatars before but it's way too much work because they don't know what the procedure of making a suitable avatar involves, so no, sorry. There's a page full of avatars you get to pick from and you're bound to find one that'll work for you.

Anyway, if you're about to order that book, go through this link since I don't have the book listed anywhere at SP: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380788624/sorcerersplace

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited August 20, 2001).]

9. Sprite Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Oooh, I might order that one too! I loved his "Diamond Age"; it's amazing how complete the ficton is, he really goes into detail showing how the world got from here to there.

Taluntain, I had meant to suggest (and this seems like a good place!) that you put some links in to hard SF and cyberpunk novels on your "books for sale" page. I am sure I'm not the only one here who favours those categories over fantasy, and when I click-through from your site to Amazon I'm never quite sure if they've kept track of where I came from by the time I'm in the virtual cyberpunk aisle. I'd be happy to suggest some hard SF books that every single member of this site should buy and read. :)

10. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] Tal, a quick question for you. Do I need to be running cookies for you to get credit from a sale at Amazon? I bought Defenders of the Faith a few weeks ago through SP, did you get credit for it? I'm going to be buying a bunch more D&D books this week and I just wanted to make sute SP got it's cut.

I mean I'd rather have you make the money than the MAN.

[This message has been edited by Voltric (edited August 20, 2001).]

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Sprite, I still have a mile long list of other fantasy people requested that I should put online but haven't had the time to yet, so I fear that the SF books will have to wait, if indeed I'll ever get around to it. It would mean restructuring the entire html for the Fantasy Books section (there's no more room for extra stuff on the panels), and that'd take way too long. Sorry.

Voltric, I believe I did, but I think there were more so I can't be sure. How can you order from Amazon without cookies anyway? The whole Amazon is based on numerous cookies that store all sorts of info. But if you went through a link to a certain item on SP I'm pretty sure it logged.

These are pretty common question and I think I've put down all the answers at http://www.sorcerers.net/Books/index.php so check that for more info on the ordering process.

As long as you click through any Amazon buttons, banners etc at SP or here on the boards (the bottom banner), the purchase counts as if it went through our store and I get a small commision. But even better, if you can be bothered, is to remake the Amazon url to seem as if you were making an order directly from SP. (This goes for items I don't have listed.)

It's a simple process which will make Amazon think that you're clicking through an item from SP even though I don't have it listed.

Just cut off all the characters after the ASIN number and replace it with our store ID. sorcerersplace for Amazon.com, sorcerersplace0b for Amazon.co.uk, sorcerersplac-21 for Amazon.de

Example:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NZWS/202-2120435-3374236 is the original url
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NZWS/sorcerersplace0b is the url that would count as our store.

I hope this wasn't too confusing... If anyone have any questions just ask.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited August 20, 2001).]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  12. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Read Snow Crash, a great work by Stephenson. Any future where the two largest world economies are Greater Hong Kong and the Mafia kicks ass in my book. :) :)

And Tal, Fall-From-Grace was my top choice for an avatar but Darien already thefted that. :mad: :mad: So lemme try making the avatar first, it shouldnt take me too long as fullfilling a life I have :p :p So lemme send you it and then we'll decide if I should instead use yours, ok?

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited August 22, 2001).]

13. Taluntain

Media:
    I gave that avatar to Darien myself, so tough.
    And really, don't waste your time by making one yourself, because there's 99% chance that something about it won't be ok, and I don't wanna lose time over it telling you all the stuff that'd take to make it OK. Geez, you have plenty to choose from, don't be so stubborn.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.