1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crime and Punishment, on a personal level

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Iku-Turso, Dec 22, 2006.

1. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Fraud a couple of times. Screwed a little money from the government. Not much and not really a "big lie" but still. I doubt they could even make a case against me in that one since it's mostly their screwup anyway. I just did not bother to inform them of that. :p

Underage drinking, got caught of it a few times too. Allways got away with a warning, but they confiscated the alcohol so I was seriously pissed at that time.

In the military I broke the military law several times. I only got warnings for those and never really was caught of the more serious rule breakings.

I suppose theft too since I borrowed a couple of books from my old school and never bothered to return them. Their own fault really, they should keep track on the books they borrow out.

I'm also responsible for sharing and downloading copyrighted material, abandonware mostly. I don't support piracy in general so any stuff that can be bought I'll buy instead of piracy.

I've been a couple of smaller fights but they were small and no one got really hurt so not really a big deal.

That's all I can think of right now. There might be more that I just can't remeber right now.

EDIT: Oh, and speeding of course. :p

2. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, now that I've had time to think about it, here's a few.

Breaking curfew. Did it several times, always got off with a warning when I got caught, except for the last time, when I was 17.

I am quite fond of fireworks. Mortars, bottle rockets, roman candles, and other "illegal" fireworks are my favorite. Just because they are illegal in the crummy state I live in doesn't mean that I won't go out of state to get them on occasion. :evil:

Supporting under-age drinking. Hey! My wife is 1 year younger then me...so when I turned 21, it only seemed fair to get her drunk once or twice. :D

Two words: Bit Torrent. 'Nuff said. ;)

Tax evasion. I worked for this guy remodeling houses for about a month. He paid me $10 an hour under the table.

Speeding/reckless driving. Ok, got a new car, a full tank of gas, and a 10 mile stretch of semi-deserted highway in the middle of nowhere. You're telling me you're not going to see how fast your car can actually go? :evil: BTW, I got my Jetta up to ~120...it took awhile, but it was sweet.

Leaving the scene of an accident/not filing a police report/driving a car without insurance. My wife hit me with our other car as we were taking it to get serviced. Seeing as how it wasn't insured at the time, we avoided any troubles with the law/insurance companies/driving records by keeping it quiet.

Destruction of property. I've slashed a tire or two in my day. They all deserved it though...so it's not a crime to me. One guy deserved it so much, I almost pulled out my handgun to get him off our doorstep at 3am one night. (the tire slashing came the next night as payback.)

Theft...if you consider sneaking into the movie theater as theft. :p

That's all I can think of right now. I'm sure there are some other's I'm forgetting... :rolling:

3. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

... You have curfew ...?

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

He probably means his mother? or newlywed wife? :confused:

Ah, thanks kit. Always wondered what that meant when they say it in the movies. It's like a catch-all answer that lets you off the hook (however making you look guilty as hell :D )

5. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Utah State Curfew...if you're under 18, you can't be out past 00:00. If you're under 21, you can't be out past 2am IIRC. At the time, I was under 18. :rolling:

6. Equester Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

brokken a car window with a stone (the car was parked) a long time a go.

climbed on roofes, where i used to live all the houses hae near flat roofes, and stan in long lines, so when drunk i used to find it amusing to climb up on them and run a long them. until one night where me and a friend got cought for it, we were really drunk, the police didn't arrest us, they where quite nice about it and send us home.

streetlamb shaking, wrecked a fence made of light wood once, burned benches and gardenchairs in a bonfire with some friends a summer night and so on, back in my early teens. ( i went to a prety ****ty public school and while i got good grades, i ran with the wrong kind of people, not that its any excuse for my actions).

but i have never done anything that hurt anybody or could have hurt anybody.

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

In my younger days, I used Drugs and pirated software. Now a days, it's easier to just buy the game than it is to get it through dubious means...

8. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

An assortment of traffic violations- speeding (never more than 15mph over on a 55mph road), driving with passengers (odd state law), and other little things, nothing huge.
    Urinating in public (not in the middle of the street, more like a field by the road with good bush *pun* cover)
    I suppose piracy counts (but the great John Hancock was a smuggler and it is only a song at a time)

EDIT: I deleted the other three because they were were commited against my friends in the course of 'friendly' competition.

[ December 27, 2006, 21:19: Message edited by: ChickenIsGood ]

9. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I'm a good boy, I don't get involved in law breaking. You bad, bad people.

10. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    BA, you prbably fall under that kind of people that agent Smecker (Boondock Saints) talks about, drunken in a confessionchamber: "..., but the law has miles of red tape and loopholes for these c**ks**kers to slip through." :p

Living in America. So much for freedom.

11. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Only thing I've ever done is mild theft, just little things at school or what people don't want, you know, things like spare sheets of paper or materials that are too small to be of any use in a project. Nothing that wasn't going to be thrown out anyway.

Also I have done a little piracy, I use it as a preview, if I like the music I hear I delete it from my hard drive and go buy the CD when I get money, sometimes I keep the music after buying the CD so I can put it on my mp3 player or replace crappy game music :p

Overall I attempt to avoid harming people in any way, I won't steal things that still have use and I will not pirate things (yes, I realise it's still stealing) without later deletion or purchase as I believe in supporting companies and bands. Though I know a few people who are of the opinion "music should be free for everyone" and "Why bother buying it now?" attitudes :rolleyes:

12. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Curfews... lordy lordy lordy. How I pity you people from the land of the free. Awesome if you're working late shift at some store to save for your education and you get arrested on the 500m walk home.

13. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Curfew... balls to that! Talk about an authoritarian system.

14. Cúchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Curfews for adults?

As for my current crimes, I brought 4 cans and 3 bottles of Guinness into the US (forgot the Cuban cigars) so the locals could sample the real thing, and of course I indulge in a wee bit of illegal downloading.

As for downloading music. I always purchase what I like and delete what I don't. If it wasn't for illegal downloading, I would not have discovered such excellent and obscure music.

15. jaded empath Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Veteran

Lordy, all this hyperbolic reaction to a state-government-mandated curfew? Have you told them Utah's a 'dry' state yet, Kit? ;)

EDIT: Huh, after digging extensively around on the wiki, web in general and even utah.gov, I'm finding that only *juvenille* curfews are in place there, mandated by the municipality. :confused:

Kitrax, you wanna check the title of the act/document that details this law so's I can track it down? (dangit I'm so obsessive about this sorta thing :( )

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Now that you mention it, I don't think I do any law-breaking either. The police should come and read this thread and lock up the lot of you!

17. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Pretty much the same here.

18. Late-Night Thinker Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Armed Robbery---I held up a store when I was 16. I got caught too. My punishment: I had to hike the Appalachian Trail for a month. For those of you whom have never heard of the trail, it runs from Maine to Georgia, and hits every peak along the way. It was one of the best experiences of my life. Go juvenile legal system!

Umm...so lets think...

Breaking and Entering, Robbery, Selling Narcotics, Buying Narcotics, Assault and Battery (fancy way of saying a fist-fight which I won), Shoplifting, Vandalism, Public Drunkenness, Public Nudity, Underage Drinking, Growing Marijuana... I don't know, I forget a lot of it...probably the marijuana...

I certainly spent my youth. But now, at 26, I am quite different. For example, I am freaking out because my one guinea pig had a bloody nose during the night. I hope she is OK.

[ December 27, 2006, 22:49: Message edited by: Late-Night Thinker ]

19. Caradhras

Caradhras I may be bad... but I feel gooood! Veteran

Media:
    Seems to depend on where you live, I wouldn't consider smoking a joint a crime... I never stole anything. I used to do some speeding but I'm getting more careful with the years (driving in the mountains at 120 km/h is not that safe anyway).
    I'm a law abiding citizen. :p

20. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Er, let's see... I'm not sure I know the Bulgarian laws so very well, but I could have made a few mistakes here and there.

Using pirated software - er, it's happened, particulatly before they opened an official retail store in Bulgaria.
    Underage drinking - er, check, I think - I was 16 or so.
    Complicit in drug use/sale - check, I'm not turning school friends because they wanted to buy and smoke a joint or two
    Public defamation - if it exists as a law, check, but then again, swearing at politicians is not that rarely done imo.
    Assault: check, mostly in primary school. Okay, not much, I don't have the hand-eye coordination for a good fighter, and I was big enough not to be a prime bully target.
    Breaking and entering: a neighboring house as a child. It was abandoned, so I don't know if it counts.
    Vandalism: check. I think I've left the school desks in good condition, overall, but I've done my own contributions to the crappy poetry that was written on them
    And I guess I could be liable for a case of sexual harassment, too: I slapped a classmate's behind in high school. While she gave me a look, afaik there were no worse consequences.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.