1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Creatures Guide

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Arutha, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Arutha Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Is there somewhere a guide for all creatures (esp. monsters) stats and special abilities / protections?
    I guess that a MM 2nd ed would be close enough, but has someone compiled the exact game stats?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    No. Not yet anyway. Though since no one did for all other games on SP either, I doubt anyone will bother for NWN.

3. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

If you need info on a particular creature you can always use shadowkeeper and the infinity explorer to get the information.

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] We're talking about NWN here. Those two utilities don't work with NWN, obviously.

5. Arutha Gems: 5/31

Err... Sorry Taluntain, but I was talking about SoA/ToB. ;)

6. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Well, you could always buy the Versus Books Guide to ToB, that includes almost every monster and tips for beating them. As far as downloads go, I remember seeing some guides on beating the toughest enemies here on SP, or you could go to GameSpot and look at their bestiary.

A second edition manual wouldn't really help that much. I tried. The monsters in the manual are much tougher than in the game.

No offense Tal, but did you move this topic? I thought we were supposed to talk about SoA/ToB in this forum.

[ August 01, 2002, 17:50: Message edited by: Rastor ]

7. Arutha Gems: 5/31

The download you're refering to is a joke, really sub-par when compared to the usual SP stuff.

Yes, I know most good printed guides have that kind of info but I'm rather broke atm and it would takes ages to be delivered (10 days to 3 weeks) and availability might be a problem.

What I'm after really are special abilities/immunities. For instance, with my solo sorcerer I had a real hard time with demogorgo at first because it seemed I couldn't lower his magic resistance.
    Then I made a search here and finally found that he was immune to "Lower Resistance" but not to "Pierce Shield"... and with that info he was toast. ;)

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I found most of the guides, starting with the manual and continuing with the official solution book, are faulty anyway. The only way to find out the *truth* ;) about BG-1 and 2 (and IWD) is to use the IEE Infinity Engine Explorer and to some point SK Shadowkeeper as StressedE pointed out correctly. And that's a cheaper and more exact way too. So is there anything better?

btw - links for both programs are here on SP in the games section.

9. Taluntain

Media:
    Doh... I thought this was in the NWN forum for some reason. :shake:

There's no detailed guide on creatures complete with their stats etc (because many of them vary in the game files), but there IS a list of more or less all monsters with tips on how to kill them. I added a lot of my own tips to it, it's in Syl's walkthrough... Here: http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/Walkthrough/beasts.php

Should be useful. Tell me if it is. :D

[ August 01, 2002, 20:21: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  10. Arutha Gems: 5/31

OK, thx for the link, Tal.
    There were some useful tips, although I'll guess I'll have to do what some people above suggested to get details (like how does the Beholder's anti-magic ray works? seems you can't spell after behind hit by it for some time, and can't protect vs it?).

There were a coupla mistakes (in your guide), though, it seems to me.
    Golems are not immune to magic, they just get 100% magic resistance. But you can lower it, and then your finger of deaths and so forth will work fine. Nothing you can do about their elemental immunities, though.
    Rakshasa, on the other hand, seem immune to magic. No spell that I have tried seems to affect them, and you can't lower their magic resistance (at least with Lower Resistance. Maybe they're like Demogorgo and are immune to spells until a certain level?). The only spell so far that I was able to affect them with is Fireshield (blue).

[ August 02, 2002, 13:22: Message edited by: Arutha ]

11. Taluntain

Media:
    It isn't my guide, I just fixed the most obviously mistakes and added tips of my own. If anything's wrong, it wasn't written by me. :D

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Anti-magic ray behaves almost the same as ordinary Dispel Magic only it's targeted against one creature. And true, it carries 100% casting failure on the creature affected by it for 20 seconds.

Rakshasa are immune to spells level 7 and below.

[ August 02, 2002, 16:39: Message edited by: Extremist ]

13. Arutha Gems: 5/31

Thx for the info. :)

Hey, you might then add the Fireshield (blue) damage to your bug list then. Especially since I seem to remember that the red one had zero effect (not 100% sure, though).
    The first Rakshasa I killed (sewers) was just by keepking up my stonekin spells and letting it commit suicide on my fireshield.
    For the second group (Druid Grove) I was higher level, so I let summons at them, although I got lucky there: they didn't let out their death cloud in time to save the one you have to kill for the djinn quest.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.