1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Crashing to desktop...

Discussion in 'Planescape: Torment (Classic)' started by MightyPenguin, Jul 31, 2004.

1. MightyPenguin Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] It crashes to the desktop when it tries to load an area- consistantly a third of the way through the loading bar.

Specs:

P4 2.8GHz
    MOBILITY RAEDEON 7500c
    512mb RAM

Ideas?

[ July 31, 2004, 23:57: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

2. Rastor Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

Your area file is corrupted.

Which area (or is it all of them?)

3. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

What OS are you using? Windows XP, apparently, has some problems with running Torment.

4. Dradeel Gems: 1/31

^^ or maybe his computer over clocks the game becouse his computer is to fast ;S who knows, but windows XP had problems with Baldurs Gate 2 gave the npc's the "busy signal" i havn't played torment since i've got'en Windows XP myself ^^ all have to install it and see what happens

5. vesselle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

dunno, but i don't have problems with either pst or bg1/bg2/tob on xp pro, with a p4 2.53. i keep my system updated on all levels: windows, direct x, graphic and sound drivers... all that. i run pst in 16bit, and make my desktop the same, too. but other than that, i don't do anything special to get it running. :) in fact, i'm playing the bg series again and have it unlocked at 1280x1024 and it looks SO beautiful!

now if someone was playing on an xp upgrade (previous windows os, upgraded to xp rather than a new full install of xp) then yeah. i've had friends that run into problems for just about all their gaming ventures using the xp upgrade. :(

anyway... to get to the original problem. mobility radeon eh? a notebook? upgrade your drivers thru whoever manufactured your notebook. and see if they have any OGL drivers. ATI is working on a new release with brand spanking new OGL drivers (mostly because of Doom 3) which should help a LOT. they've released a Doom 3 hotfix, which contains a version of the OGL drivers they're working on for a general release. but since they don't do mobility drivers, you'll haveta rely on your manufacturer to do the same. :(

V***V

6. MightyPenguin Gems: 1/31

I'd nearly forgotten I'd posted this. Oops. I've downloaded the latest video card drivers (not that the manufacturer's site was very helpful with this), don't know yet how much that'll help. The laptop is running on XP- not an upgrade. BG II runs fine, even on the unsupported reolutions. Personally I suspect it's the area files. And there's every chance that it's all of them. Would anybody here be willing to throw the files my way at jaearmstrong@dsl.pipex.com ?

7. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    All of them? Are you kidding? That's more than 1GB of files. Go buy a new copy, heh.

8. MightyPenguin Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] Oh come on. It couldn't take more than five hours on a 512 bb connection. Just start it off and leave it ticking over for the rest of the day.

Please?

On the other hand, someone could send me the Mourtuary file and we'll see how that resolves.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You have an inbox than can take over 1 GB of files? Wow. But seriously, all area files just don't get corrupted. It's common for a couple to be corrupt if you scratch your CD badly, but that's the only way it can happen. So copy the CDs over to your hard drive and determine which files are corrupt (the ones you can't copy), and ask for those. No one is going to go sending you two CD's worth of files.

Actually, for starters, just delete everything in the game's cache folder. That might fix the problem by itself.

10. vesselle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

the infinity engine games are infamous for map corruptions. just empty both the cache & temp folders, reboot, then go into PST and restart your latest save. it will rebuild the maps and you'll most likely have cleared out your problem.

V***V

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.