1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cowled Wizards.

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Dranalis DeAealth, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

I'm trying to get back into the game after a while away.

I have a few questions; I'm under the impression that if you continue to use unlicensed magic, then the wizards will eventually teleport in some kind of uber-wizard.

Is this true, and, if so, is it worth the effort? Does he/she have any special items?

2. avengerofholiness Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To my recollection, none of the wizards that are sent have anything of value and are not worth the time. Hope this helps.

3. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, I have heard (but cannot verify) that there is some XP to be had from killing the increasingly tough wizards and that if you kill them all then they won't bother you any more.

4. Eric Xanthus Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Both of Harbourboy's statements are true, but none of the rewards are worth the trouble (each cowled wizard comes equipped with an almighty...staff). Only do it if you really like magical combat and want to duel. It is just simpler to pay the 5000 for a license. Or better, use UB and get a license for free. Funny thing--first time through the game, I didn't know you could get a license. Several encounters were quite a bit trickier since I couldn't use magic (I was playing a magic-user). The githyanki recovery team was ghastly with cowled wizards mixed in.

5. Thyorna Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Yeah the wizards get increasingly harder and there are 2 in the very last encounter that have names of their own but i normally just do this because i'm too lazy to buy a license and too evil too pass on the oppurtunity to kill cowled wizards. i can remember once i had the 2nd last encounter of wizards come and fight me when i was trying to kill Kurosian from tactics, not pretty

6. Dranalis DeAealth

Dranalis DeAealth Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc Veteran

So there's nothing to gain in terms of treasure and whatnot?

Thanks, everyone.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Well, you can get some random high level scrolls, which are nice.

I figure, if the first time you use magic, one of them teleports in, and the second time, four of them do, I'm perfectly within my rights as a role-playing thief to set a mess of traps, have my wizard stand there, cast invisibility, and watch the mayhem until I've used up cowled wizards.

Serves them right for taking my sister.

8. Valer Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Which district is suitable for such a mage-fight? I mean fireballs, cloudkills can be launched and I would not like to hurt anybody...inocent.

Will this fight decrease your reputation?

9. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    Maybe the grave-yard or the most left corner of the Bridge district. Maybe you could fight them when you travel between districts and are attacked on route...

10. Rudiger Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

IIRC fighting the whole series of coweled wizards will net you about 70 or 80 thousand XP, one or two good high level scrolls and about 5-8k in gems and gold.

Personally I've always fought them in the top left hand corner of the promenade, ether pre trapping the area or getting there atention but animating dead.

11. Deuce Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

@ Drugar

I usually do it up in the NW corner of the Promanade district. One bystander in the area, and if Minsc talks to him, he leaves. You can still avoid killing him. The only tricky part is that the last group sometimes gets a Gate off, and the Pit Fiend likes to wander over into the area around Mira's shop. I like to post a Druid with Protection from Evil there with a Fire Elemental, they do well with Pit Fiends, to sort of push it back. Not needed, but a nice challenge.

Another tactic I've played with is setting up some Skull Traps after each fight (wizards only spawn once per "rest period") and either cast my spell that spawns them (invisibility) at a point where I'm out of range and they'll trigger it, or go around them while invisisble and try to draw them over the Skulls. With the luck I had getting too close, I'd recomend Protection from Magic Energy for this one.

12. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    @Deuce

When I read Rudiger's post I realized the Promenade is indeed the best place to fight those wizards. That Pit Fiend could be a problem. Maybe there is somewhere else one could take such a creature. I'm starting a new game today with a Evil party and are planning to deal with those of the Cowles. I'll let you know when I spotted a better place :)

13. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Just a quick note, but a pertinent (I hope) one. The mages won't actually attack you in the graveyard district, you can cast magic there without consequence. It seems to be out of bounds, so far as law enforcement goes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.