1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:

I am looking forward to this - it is going to be a bit bizarre, I supect, since I ruibed wit with 3 kinds of pepper (black, green and mix), salt and lemon juice, and sprinkled rosemary on it :D

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Actually, that sounds very much like my preferred seasoning blend for prime rib, the only difference being that I use lemon rind instead of juice.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Is it okay to bake cookies with natural peanut butter (its ingredients are peanuts, no sugar or oil)? I used the last of my Skippy and I still want more peanut butter cookies.

4. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Of course. Besides, peanuts have sugar and oil in them naturally :)

5. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    I'm sure it is, but they might come out dry or off-texture. The trick is to find a way to compensate for the lack of added oil in the processed peanut butter.

Here's a recipe from my natural-foods cookbook, "Laurel's Kitchen," ISBN 0-89815-167-8:

Preheat oven to 350 F
    1 c. natural PB
    1 c. honey
    1 egg, beaten
    1.5 t. vanilla
    0.5 t salt
    0.5 t. baking powder
    2 c. whole wheat pastry flour

Cream together PB and honey. Stir in egg and vanilla. Sift the dry stuf together and stir into the PB mixture. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto oiled cookie sheets, mash slightly with a fork, and bake for 10-12 minutes. Watch them carefully, honey increases the tendency to burn.

6. kuemper Gems: 31/31

That'll be the sweetness kick I was wondering about. BTW, natural PB tastes like chewed peanuts.

7. Arabwel

Media:
    THe roast beef leftovers inspired me for one hell of a salad :D it is also dead simple:

Roast beef
    tricolor seashell pasta
    cream cheese (I used 2 kinds, garlic- and sun dried tomato-flavored)

Cook the pasta, cool, drain. Mix everything together. Enjoy! :D

8. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    WOW! It seems so yummy, I think I'll try it soon. Got any more yummy recipes DotW?

9. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

You mean more deep fried stuff? For the time being, no, they're the only two I have, but I'll be sure to post whenever I find some more.

*EDIT* Hold on, got a new one:

Deep fried Ice cream (!!!!!)

# 1/4 To 1/2 cup sugar
    # 2 tb ground cinnamon
    # 4 eggs, well beaten
    # Ice cream

# Ok, the night before you want to make this (or in the morning), take the ice cream and scoop it into balls (tennis ball size). Make sure the balls of ice cream are solid, no air pockets. You will likely have to use your hands. Place them in a shallow pan that you can put into the freezer (lined with wax paper). Freeze overnight, or at least 6 hours.

# Next, combine the crushed cornflakes, sugar and cinnamon in a large (gallon size) ziplock bag. Put the beaten eggs into a bowl.

# Take the ice cream balls and coat them with the cornflake mixture, really pressing it into the surface of the ball. Then, dip the whole thing into the egg mixture and re-coat it with cornflakes. Return to the freezer for at least 2 hours. Make sure there are no "bald spots" anywhere on the ice cream ball. You might need to dip into the egg and re-coat with the cornflakes one more time. Freeze for at LEAST 2 hours before you are going to fry.

# Use a good deep fryer, and heat it to a fairly high temperature (I don't know exactly how hot this is, I never measured). Immediately before you want to serve, remove one ice cream ball from the freezer at a time, and drop into the hot oil (use canola) for about 30 seconds, or until it just begins to brown. Take it out of the oil and put in a bowl to serve.

# Top with really good stuff like hot fudge, whipped cream, nuts, anything else that you might deem appropriate.

# The shell should be cooked and crunchy, and the inside will still be frozen (amazing, isn't it?)

# You can only cook one at a time, so if you have a whole bunch to make, use more than one fryer. Let the oil return to the high temperature before you add the next ball.

10. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I really don't think I'll ever try deep fried oreos or deep fried pizza but I've always wanted to try deep fried icecream. Thanks for the recipe DoTW.

11. Disciple of The Watch

No problem. I found it so much of a paradox that I had to try it. It's surprisingly good. The fried oreos too, are pretty nice, as weird as that may sound. As for the deep fried pizza... it's great for hangovers. :sick:

12. Dice

Media:
    Jumbo shrimps in a spicy salsa also work well for a hangover. Don't ask me why.

Of course if you don't want to have a hangover then you can drink a lot of water and take a couple of aspirins before you go to bed when you are still drunk. Works like a charm.

13. Disciple of The Watch

Yeah, my bro did that a couple of times. I personally don't like seafood, but he says it works nicely.

Mary-Jane never causes that. :hippy:

Another of my favorites. Yes, deep-fried.

Scotch eggs

- 1lb sausage meat (try to get as best quality that you can afford)
    - 1 large raw egg
    - 3oz approx of dry breadcrumbs
    - 5 hard boiled eggs, with shells removed
    - Pinch of mace (the outer casing of the nutmeg-this is not an essential)
    - Some salt, freshly ground pepper
    - Small quantity of flour
    - 1 tablespoon water

Dust the hard boiled eggs in a little flour then place aside.

Mix the mace (if available) with a pinch of salt and pepper into the sausage meat and divide into five equal portions. Place this mixture on a floured surface. Wrap/mould the sausage meat round the egg, making sure there are no gaps. If you can, try to roll into a ball shape-this will take a LOT of practice as you will probably squash/mash the eggs before getting it just right. This isn't essential

Beat the egg and water together and coat the meat-covered egg with this and then breadcrumbs (you may have to press the crumbs onto the meat). Deep fry in hot oil (360F/185C) taking care as you put the eggs into the oil as the oil may spurt. Cook for about 5/6 minutes until golden brown.
    Drain and serve hot or allow to cool and keep in a refrigerator for a cold snack later.

14. Arabwel

Media:
    So, I have decided to go on a bizarre sort of a diet; only salads and smoothies. Any good foody salad recipes you'd care to toss my way? :D

15. Disciple of The Watch

I believe I have a recipe for deep fried salad lying somewhere around... :shake: :lol:

Salad is evil.

16. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Maybe something like this Ara?

Mango Smoothie/Freeze

Ingredients
    2 or 3 mangos, peeled and cut into chunks
    1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
    1 cup milk
    8 ice cubes, crushed in the blender

Directions
    In blender, add the mangos, orange juice concentrate, and milk to the crushed ice. Blend on high until all the ingredients are smooth.

At this point you can pour into glasses and serve as a smoothie or pour into a shallow plastic container, cover, and put in the freezer until it is frozen to a soft ice cream consistency. Stir a couple of times during the freezing process.

* I recommend using the mangos when they are yellow, do not use them green.

Hearts of Palm Salad
    4 servings
    2 16-ounce cans of hearts of palm
    1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/3 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
    1 tablespoon chopped parsley
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth (remove fat)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    ground pepper to taste
    very small amount of salt (optional)
    lettuce leaves

1. Drain the hearts of palm, cut them into ½-inch pieces, and put them into a large bowl. Stir in the red pepper, yellow pepper, and chopped parsley.

2. In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, mustard, chicken broth, and olive oil. Drizzle the dressing over the hearts of palm mixture and toss gently. Season to taste with salt (optional) and pepper. Line a serving bowl with lettuce leaves, spoon the salad on top and serve.

Enjoy!

17. Arabwel

Media:
    Oooh, those sound awesome :D thanks, Maurolava :D

18. Dice

Media:
    It has red and yellow peppers! I'm in too. I've never tried hearts of palm but I bet they are good.

You could try my favorite salad. Just take carrots, red pepper, celery, tomatoes (a few of them), radishes, and cucumber and chop them into centimeter cubes. Throw in a can of corn and a can of black beans. Mix it all together with a little salt and lemon juice and keep it in a large tupperware in the fridge. When you feel like eating something just grab a bowl full of that and add a little cubed cheese or crunchy noodles and some of your favorite dressing. This salad is really yummy and filling and extremely healthy.

19. Arabwel

Media:
    Ooh, that sounds good, too... only, I will skip the celery because I can¨t stand the stuff *wink* :)

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Maurolava, I can confirm that that Mango recipe is great. My wife makes it - she calls it Mango Sorbet and our family loves it.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.