1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    So, it is the end of the month and I am broke-like-woah - which has led to scavenging in the pantry and the discovery of a can of tuna, which led to the making of this delish salad:

1/2 can of tuna
    1/2 cup of mung beans (Mine were soaked and cooked from dry)
    1 hard-boiled egg
    lettuce
    1/2 green pepper
    1/2 yellow pepper
    1/2 oz of gruyere

I started with boiling the egg hard and cooking the beans, and cooling bothdown.รถ Then, I mahed the egg together with the tuna and cheese, and added the lettuce - torn into pieces - and the peppers (cubed). This fed one hungry Ara for lunch :D

2. Balle Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

i actually tried that myself today Ara! very good salad indeed, fed me too

btw good with cheap food tips for hungy students like myself

3. Warrior of the World

Warrior of the World Questing through space

Does anyone have any nice recipes for pasta sauces? I'm beginning to run out of ideas for things, and cash to boot, so making something interesting would be a nice change.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Simplest recipe for pasta sauce is olive oil, garlic, and sundried tomatoes. In some parts of Italy, the very simplest sauces are the best.

5. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Simplest carbonara in the world cook pasta (best with spaghetti or linguine) drain toss pasta in one beaten egg and 2oz parmesan cheese, serve. Variations add 1oz finely choped olives and 1 tin anchovies, or add 2oz finely chopped ham and 1tbsp of fresh basil, or add tin of tuna, or add 4oz of finely chopped mushrooms sweated in some butter.

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Dark Strider is right on the money and has rocketed to the top of Harbourboy's List of SPers He'd Most Like to Meet (or more specifically, visit for dinner).

7. Arabwel

Media:
    Interesting; my carrbonara usually includes a mix of egg yolks, cream, shredded cheese and some crunchy bacon...

Does anyone know anything about sprouts?

8. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I find it's pretty hard to ruin anything with bean sprouts. They go well with just about anything.

9. Arabwel

Media:
    Sttupd question: do you separate the sprouts from the source - in this case, muing beans - or just have 'em in their entirety?

[ In their entirety ... I think. :) ] - Beren

[ February 28, 2006, 11:00: Message edited by: Beren ]

10. DarkStrider

It's either or really you can eat them either way it's down to the individual taste, I prefer just the sprout.

@HB anytime you're over gissa shout and I'll be happy to cook dinner.

11. Arabwel

Media:
    So, I just had some prettyu brilliant pasta, involving the following

A big handfull of penne
    1 egg yolk
    3 tablespoons of cream
    a few slices of crumbled parrano robusto and gryuere
    pepper
    a handful of green beans

Boil the penne and the green beans, and mix everything else separately, then, when botht he pasta and the beans are done, stick them in a bowl and cover witht he cheesy struff. Yummy!

However, should be noted that neither cheese melts well so make sure it is crumbled v. small

12. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I made pop-overs last night - also known as yorkshire pudding and empanadas(mexican). It is amazing that something so simple can be so tasty. Are there any other names for that dish that I should know about?

13. Arabwel

Media:
    More cheaptastic pasta recipes? :D

a han'dful of pasta of your choice
    a handful of frozen green beans
    a handful of frozen baby carrots
    a few strips off bacn, torn into ieces
    parmesan to taste

really siimlple, cook all indigrent except for the parmesan, mix in a bowl,. add the parmesan and enjoy :)

14. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I rather like a pasta dish I once had in a little restaurant near Fencer's Club in NYC:

* cook linguine
    * combine equal parts butter and EVOO (extra virgin olive oil, for you Philistines who don't watch Rachael Ray) in a saute pan over med-high heat
    * saute lots of garlic in the butter/oil mixture, but don't let the garlic brown!
    * pour the garlic/oil mixture over tha pasta
    * stir in crumbled Feta
    * season with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and oregano (preferrably fresh)

For a real salt fix, add some kalamata olives!

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You know what cracks me up about EVOO? It takes her almost as long to say the acronym as the whole thing, and then she repeats the whole thing just like you did for those that wouldn't know what the heck she was talking about!

Talk about a waste of an acronym. :lol:

16. DarkStrider

WTF is Rachael Ray? Why can't she just say extra vigin like every one else?

17. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Rachael Ray is the host of the TV cooking show "30 Minute Meals." She's exceedingly perky and has a giggle that many, many people find highly annoying - but she's full of good ideas for whipping up tasty, reasonably nutritious food QUICKLY. That's paramount to me these days, so I can overlook her motormouth and giggle.

18. DarkStrider

Don't get that programme so she can't annoy or please me with her cooking :)

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Here's a nice way to make a boring fish like flounder or tilapia a bit interesting, without resorting to breading and deep-frying. ;) It also works well with scallops.

Dice a slice or two of bacon and fry up. Remove the pieces to paper towling to drain, and remove all but a tablespoon or so of the drippings from the pan.

Saute a minced onion and some garlic in the drippings.

Add a cup or so of cherry or grape tomatoes, halved, and saute until they begin to give off their juice. A diced regular tomato will also work, but doesn't look as pretty.

Season the sauce with salt, freshly ground black pepper, a dash of lemon juice, and some fresh parsley.

Add your fish to the pan and spoon the sauce over it. Cover, reduce the heat, and simmer until the fish is done. Serve over toast or rice, and sprinkled with the reserved bacon.

20. DarkStrider

Sounds good, give this one a tryout as well

Steamed stuffed fish (Serves 3-4)

Take 2-3 oz mushrooms, 1 small onion, a handful of fresh mixed herbs (such as Dill, Parsley, Cilantro(coriander), oregano, basil, marjoram or thyme)

Place all ingredients in a blender with 1tbsp extra virgin or walnut oil, add 2-3 cloves of garlic and 2-3 chillis (deseeded if you prefer), blitz in the blender until a smoothish paste.

Lay the fish fillets on a board and cover evenly with the paste. Roll the fillet up and secure with a cocktail stick. Place fish into layer of a steamer (this really works well if you have a multi-layer steamer) and cook until tender usually about 15-20 mins.

If you have a multi-steamer place fish on dish so that juices are contained while steaming. Steam veggies and rice to go with fish as well.

Note: I don't mention seasoning because of my diet I don't use salt; and pepper I add at the end, so season as you would like.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.