1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Here's one from my mom's kitchen.

Crunchy Hamburgers

1 lb. ground beef
    2 beaten eggs
    1 sleeve crackers, crushed
    (2 c. crushed corn flakes is a great substitute for crackers)

Crush one sleeve of crackers on a plate or a pie tin. Beat eggs in a large, shallow bowl. Make as many patties as you can from the ground beef. Dip each patty into the eggs until well-coated. Place on plate with crackers. Bread the patty thoroughly on both sides. Place each patty into a skillet with 2 tblsp of oil (to prevent sticking).

Cook hamburgers until done (flipping when necessary); juices should run clear. I sacrifice one and cut it in half to ensure doneness. Serve with mashed potatos and corn.

2. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Here is an easy recipe for awesome bread to go with Italian dishes.

1 loaf of Italian bread
    1 8oz package of sliced provolone cheese
    Softened butter (about 1/2 to 3/4 of a stick will do)
    Garlic powder \
    Onion powder > to taste
    Salt /

Take the Italian bread and slice it in half length-wise through the loaf (like you were going to make a huge sub/hero/grinder). Then liberally butter the two halves, then shake on garlic and onion powder and salt to taste. Then take the provolone cheese slices and cover the two halves, overlaying them until it is fully covered. Bake at 400 degrees for about five minutes until the cheese is fully melted, then I switch to broiler for a minute until the cheese browns nicely. Slice up and serve hot. Nothing fancy but even the kids eat well.

P.S. Watch carefully under the broiler, it only takes a minute to burn it pretty badly.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31

More questions about salmon fillets. I only have 2 more fillets, so this should be the last. ;)

I want to use a marinade. Soaking the fish I get, but how do I cook it? I don't have a broiler (it's full of useless cr*p) or a workable toaster over. So, my cooking options are the oven or stovetop.

I want the fish to cook in the marinade and soak up more flavor. :yum: How can I do that? Aluminum foil? How does the liquid stay inside and not drip out? Can I use a shallow dish covered with foil? :help: please; I'm hungry.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Cooking something in a liquid is called poaching, and you can do it either on the stovetop or in the oven. Here's a recipe for salmon fillets poached in the microwave, but you could you use foil instead of parchment and plop it into a 400 degree F oven for about 15 minutes instead.

Your idea of a shallow pan covered with foil will also work well.

5. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Take a piece of foil 3 times the length of the fish, place fish on one half fold foil over. Seal sides by folding about 2cm in and then again pour marinade in through top and seal in same way. this steams the fish :yum: if you use shallow dish it bakes more than steams up to you. Hope that helps :D

6. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Hmm, anyone happen to have a good recipe that uses lentils? I abought some and now I realize I have no idea what to do with them... :p

7. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Lentils go great with curry Ara. I know that you like to make curry. Actually you can throw lentils into a lot of different soups for a nice addition as well.

8. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

@Arabwell -

*If you like soups thi is the one for lentils*

Colombian Lentil Soup

Serving Size = 4

Ingredient

1 1/2 cups of uncooked lentils
    3 large cloves of garlic -- chopped
    1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
    4 cups water
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    1 small onion -- chopped
    1 can tomatoes -- (14 1/2-ounce) drained and chopped
    2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro or parsley -- divided
    2 teaspoons of strained fresh lemon juice
    2 hard-cooked eggs ? sliced
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Spread lentils in batches on plate. Pick through them carefully, discarding any stones. Rinse and drain lentils. Combine lentils, garlic, broth and water in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat 20 to 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
    Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet. Add onion and saut? over medium heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Add tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook 5 minutes or until sauce is thick. Add to lentil soup and return to a boil. Remove soup from heat. Add 1-tablespoon cilantro, and salt, pepper and lemon juice to taste. Serve soup garnished with slices of hard-cooked egg and sprinkled with remaining 1-tablespoon cilantro.

Hope you like it ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
  9. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Any funny pastas, anyone? ;)

10. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Sorry, I am not a pasta expert *shrgs* i can only make v. basic carbonnara and my mom's super sekrit stuff.

What is there to do with beans beyond soups and chili? I have been sticking 'em ont he pan with bacon, bell pepper and omnion and eating the result with pita bread, but I would like something new - especially since I have, oh, 6 differentr saorts of beans in my pantry :D

11. DarkStrider

Try a Cassoulet or variations thereof they like beans and it's a stew/casserole type thing as in recipe

12. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Since St Patrick's day is just around the corner, here is a recipe for N.Irish soda bread (not the inferior southern Irish version):

1 CUP SELF-RISING FLOUR
    1/2 TSP. SALT
    1 TSP. BAKING SODA
    1 CUP BUTTERMILK

Mix all ingredients together. Turn out onto lightly floured surface. Knead for approximately 3 minutes. Shape into an 8" round. Using a floured knife, cute round into quarters.

Lightly flour a round griddle and place soda farls on griddle once the flour turns brown. Cook each side approximatley 5 minutes. Stand each farrel on end for approx. 2 minutes to make sure inside is cooked.

This makes great sandwhich's and excellent pizzas.

**Please note that corned beef is not Irish, and St Patrick is buried in Downpatrick N.Ireland, not Dublin S.Ireland**

13. Dice

Media:
    Does anybody know if merengue cookies can be made with a sugar substitute instead of sugar or is sugar necessary to get the desired effect of merengues?

14. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Behold, for I am going to share with you the secret of my success! ;)

PASTA CARBONARA FOR DUMMIES:

INGREDIENTS (2 people)
    - 1 small bottle of cream
    - 6 mushrooms
    - 2 rashers (bacon)
    - 1 large onion
    - about 5 fistfuls of any pasta you like (bar spaguetti, spaguetti is evil)
    - salt
    - black pepper
    - oregano
    - grated cheese (white cheddar does wonders)
    - oil

PREPARATION

- Put some oil in a non-stick frying pan and add some salt (if you are not adding rashers later) and some pepper. Heat at medium-high.
    - Chop the onion in small bits and the mushrooms in six/eight parts each. Add to the frying pan.
    - Stir until mushrooms and onions are covered with at least some pepper. Add oregano.
    - When they are almost done, add the rashers cut in small stripes and cook separated from the veggies until done. Then, mix all and keep cooking at a very low intensity.
    - Boil half a litre or water and add 2 big spoons of salt. Add the pasta and a drop of oil, to keep it from sticking.
    - Pasta should be ready in about 10-15 minutes. When time is near ready, pour the cream in the frying pan with the veggies (and rashers) and add about three fistfuls of grated cheese. Add some more pepper. Add more cheese to taste.
    - Drain the pasta and mix it well with the sauce in the frying pan.
    - Serve and enjoy.

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would imagine if the sugar substitute was heat-stable it would be OK. You might not get the same flavor since sugar carmelizes when baked...

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Hmm, the fettucine a la carbonara that I learned in Italy was completely different.

It had no cream in it and was a very simple blend of parmesan cheese and eggs (the heat of the freshly cooked pasta cooked the beaten eggs which were poured over them). Divine, especially with fresh home-made pasta (the most important ingredient - once you've had fresh home made pasta you'll never buy it at the shop again!)

17. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Bah! Like if Italians knew anything about pasta...

:p

18. DarkStrider

Yes HB an italian carbonara is so much nicer than the gloopy cream version and I make nearly all of my pastas myself.

@BTA You can't substitute the sugar in meringue without the whole lot just not baking right, believe me as a type II diabetic I've tried and gave up and used sugar.

19. Dice

Media:
    Funny you should say that D.S. I actually made a batch today. I decided to make the completely dried out kind not the soft-in-the-middle kind. The texture was actually very nice. The flavour however was about as tasty as rotting squid guts. Apparently real sugar masks the flavour of cream of tartar. I used Splenda which can be baked but I ended up with a really nasty flavour in them. If I had a copper bowl then I wouldn't need the cream of tartar.

20. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Good stuff, DarkStrider. Glad I wasn't just dreaming about what carbonara was supposed to be. Nothing beats fresh pasta.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.