1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Apparently we're going to have to keep this thread going a while longer, if we want it to be closed and a new one started. ;)

Today is our office holiday party, and it promises to be a GOOD one. There's been a potluck for the past few years, but this year management decided to spring for the entrees while we bring in the appetizers and desserts. Everything is so good, I eat more than on Thanksgiving!

My contribution is a cappucchino cream pie. I was whipping the cream for the topping at 4:30 this morning!

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] We can easily go up to 1000 posts per thread now, so no need for closure just yet.

3. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Ok, I've just finished my contribution to the Christmas Eve dinner: mushrooms au naturel and au garlic butter and then I also prepared all the meat. We're doing the gourmet thing, so I made tiny burgers with onion and parsley and also mini cheeseburgers. Also seasoned and cut the rest of the meat which would be turkey slices, steak slices, something called white sausage, mini lamb chops and bacon. I hope the rest they like.

I love playing with food. :D

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Cooking in General #2

There should be lots of good recipies with the holidays. Good time to start an new cooking thread.

5. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Indeed Dragonfly.

Garlic soup, roughly after Paul Bocuse's cookbook. No worries, it is simple and fast:

* The soup:
    20 cloves of very fresh garlic
    1 1/2 l of water
    salt, pepper
    4-6 or so cloves
    large spoon of sage leafs

Take the cloves of garlic, don't mash them, just squeeze them so they crack. Put them into the boiling water. Add the sage, salt, pepper. Let it boil on high heat for 15 minutes. Then pour it through a sieve and remove all cloves, sage and garlic from the soup that should be totally clear.

* The bread:
    one baguette, olive oil and cheese (edam, or parmesan). Take baguette slices, drop olive oil on them and then put some cheese on them (common way to eat soup in France). Gratinate in a very hot oven.

* Serving the soup:
    Take the gratinated bread, put it into the soup plates and pour the very hot soup over it. Enjoy. The soup is surprisingly spicy.

As for the breath of death that might be the result of the soup, it might be that my pariah status after eating it was largely imaginary. My flatlass ate it too and she went out after dinner and her friends didn't believe she had eaten garlic at all. It is possible, if it is not for peculiarities of her metabolism, that not mashing the garlic, and removing it from the soup before serving has an ameliorating effect. That would also be in tune with what one expects of 'high cuisine'

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  6. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Any particular reason you wanted a new thread rather than adding to the open old thread?

7. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Probably because the other one has over 500 posts...just guessing though. :p :rolling:

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I'm merging this with the original thread. As I wrote in that one, we're going to be closing threads at 1000 posts now.

9. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    No matter what thread, garlic soup is still a darn great, spicy recipe ...

:holy: *Hint!* :holy:

10. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Well, having plenty of time on my hands gave me a chance to try the butter chicken recipe Rally posted some time ago. I'm not the best cook in town, but DAMN, that was good stuff! I made Basmati rice instead of the regular Minute Rice, and it was a perfect fit.

This one definitively earns a spot in my cookbook. :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum:

11. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Traditional Southern Cornbread
    (my mother's recipe)

2 cups white self-rising corn meal
    1/2 cup self-rising flour
    pinch baking soda
    3 eggs
    2 cups buttermilk
    1/4 cup corn or canola oil - not olive oil, it will taste very odd

Ideally this is made in a well seasoned iron skillet, 9-10 inches in diameter, that is liberally greased with shortening and preheated in the oven as the oven preheats to 450 degrees. Not everyone has the iron skillet, though, including me, so I've experimented and found that it works OK in an 8 - 9 inch square cake pan, also liberally greased but not preheated (the pan is likely to warp).

Combine dry ingredients, then beat eggs in a separate bowl, add the buttermilk and oil, then combine with the dry ingredients. Pour in prepared pan (or skillet, if you are so blessed) and bake at 450 F for about 25 minutes or until browned. Serve hot, with plenty of butter. It doesn't keep very well so plan on eating it the same day you bake it.

Note there is no sugar in this recipe. Sugar in cornbread is an addition of effete Northerners. :)

However, if you just can't stand the slightly bitter taste, add 1-2 tablespoons of sugar.

When I lived in New England the white corn meal and even the buttermilk were hard to find. You can use 2 1/2 cups of a cornmeal mix (don't omit the baking soda) but it won't be quite as good.

12. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No cast iron skillet? They're the cheapest pan you can buy; there's no excuse for not having one :)

13. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    About the only things I don't use my cast-iron skillet for are egg dishes, and boiling pasta. ;)

14. revmaf

Ahh, no iron skillet because:
    The family heirloom skillet went to my seriously cooking sister - we know for sure it's more than 50 years old, probably much more.

As for me:
    My arthritic wrists have trouble picking one up.
    I forget and use soap.
    The sun was in my eyes.
    My tummy hurts.

(Actually my father consistently cooked scrambled eggs in this pan, so it can be done if you are very diligent about how you clean it and oil it.)

15. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    I have one small one dedicated to eggs both fried and scrambled and it is completely nonstick now.

16. revmaf

My better-cooking kinfolk all assure me that a properly cared for iron pan will indeed become nonstick over time. With the pans I've had in the past I've always found it a challenge to get over the initial patient seasoning. And they are indeed heavy, the big ones too heavy for me to use comfortably now.

But you can't beat a good iron pan for stovetop to oven recipes.

17. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

...and to bash someone on the head with it. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyway, following the rather satisfying outcome of the butter chicken, I've decided to venture further in the Indian cooking vein, so I'm looking for some more recipies - like Tikki Masala chicken, for example.

I'm not a fan of vegetables, so I'd prefer recipies who do not include them, or if the recipe still can be made without any.

18. Dice

Media:
    Hey I did start another cooking thread about a week ago but it seems to have disappeared!. I'm going to post Cooking In General 2 so this thread doesnt get too long.

19. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Look up a few of posts (starting at 506) as well as this thread to see what happened. :)

Dice likes this.
  20. Dice

Media:
    Oops :D :p, sorry I wasn't paying attention... Hit me with a rubber hammer guys, and throw some pancakes on me too so that I'm not getting off topic here... I guess I'll have to start making my regular visits back to the BOM again to get with the menu.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.