1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Yeast dough for pizza, for all the poor souls without delivery. This is my rule-of-thumb recipe, so I don't have exact quantities. You need:
    • approx a pound of flour
    • approx five soup spoons of olive oil
    • smallish glass of warm water (not hot!)
    • yeast - fresh or dry
    • fingertip of salt
    • teaspoon of sugar
    1. Put flour in bowl
    2. Solve the yeast in the water under constant stirring if you use fresh yeast. If you use dry yeast, simply mix it well with the flour.
    3. Put sugar and salt in the flour and mix well.

4. Pour the warm water with the yeast into the bowl with the flour and start to knead. First it is a little bit gooey so I start by stirring with a large wooden spoon. I feel that kneading by hand is superior with yeast dough than using a mashine. If it is still sticky, add some flour. Knead until the dough is smooth.

That's about it, let the dough rest for thirty minutes and there you go for your pizza. Active working time for the dough 10 minutes or so.

Baking time, depending on how thick you spread the dough eventually, is about 30 minutes.

2. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

I agree. I've tried the heavy duty mixer but a thorough hand kneading seems to me to produce superior results.

This is similar to the pizza dough I've made in the past, and I think all really good yeast doughs involve adjusting quantities of flour and water to fit the weather and your taste in the finished product.

Aren't we connoisseurs, now?

3. Ragusa

Media:
    ... now?

4. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    While I was away, I tried lots of different dishes. I'm especially impressed with the Hungarian cuisine. I recommend leczo...easy to make and verrrry tasty...I'll ask my friend about the recipe and post it here, I think.

Here goes (for 4 people):

Chuck some water in a pot and add:

4 paprikas (cut them into little cubes)
    4 tomatoes (ditto)
    1 onion (ditto)
    salt
    pepper

When it's boiling, chuck in 2 eggs. Let it boil a little more and then you're good to go.

Genius is in simplicity. :D

[ August 26, 2007, 13:03: Message edited by: Uytuun ]

5. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    That is an intriguing recipe Uytuun, I'm just wondering where I can find paprikas here - I've only ever seen it in powder form and I don't think the powder would work as well as the whole pepper in your dish.

@ Revmaf - The zuchinni dish was delicious - thankyou :) . I have to be honest with you about the burnt sugar icecream recipe...It scares me. You see, I was into making caramel sauce for a little while and the first time I made it I accidently burned the sugar a little and it tasted really awful. So I am a little tentantive to try an icecream by that flavor. Do you have any other good icecream recipies to share? Or sherbert, frozen yoghurt, or anything else that would work in an icecream maker would be nice :D .

6. Saber

Saber A revolution without dancing is not worth having! Veteran

I just made an awesome (and healthy) salsa, which I will post once I get back. It kicked major ass.

7. revmaf

@Ragusa, I stand corrected, of course. Always connoisseurs.

@Dragonfly, I'll check on the ice cream recipes and get back to you.

8. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Dragonfly: For a very simple frozen dessert, try mixing pureed fresh fruit with buttermilk. Use a simple syrup (boil 1 c. water, add 2 c. sugar, and boil and stir until the sugar dissolves completely; cool) to sweeten it, to make sure you don't have any undissolved crystals of sugar disrupting the texture of the final product. We've done this successfully with pineapple, peaches, and strawberries. It's nice to leave the puree a little chunky.

@Utyuun and Revmaf: The Lesco does sounds wonderful. AFAIK, "paprika" is just a Hungarian word for pepper. I plan to try this with whatever peppers I can find in the local farm market, probably a combination of hot and sweet.

9. revmaf

OK, Dragonfly, here's one possibility:

Peach Ice Cream Recipe 1
    From LoveToKnow Recipes

Ingredients for Peach Ice Cream

* ¾ cup of peach pulp
    * Juice of ½ lemon
    * ¾ cup of granulated sugar
    * 1½ cups of thin cream

Instructions

1. Pare and stone choice, ripe peaches and press the pulp through a "ricer;" add the sugar and lemon juice and turn into the can of a freezer, packed in ice and salt; add the cream and freeze as usual.

And here's the web address for the site, which has lots of recipes listed, though some links are broken and some of the recipes simply involve ice cream as an ingredient:
    ice cream recipes

Rallymama's recipe sounds great, too.

EDIT: nosing around the same site I saw a section of sherbet recipes, too, here:
    sherbet recipes

One of them is for tomato sherbet - not sure I want to go there, but fresh raspberry sherbet sounds nice.

10. Ragusa

Media:
    I thought about trying calf tongue in burgundy sauce, but it turned out one tongue would cost me € 17+ - for which I'd get nearly twice the weight in roastbeef.

Outrageous price IMO, especially for a piece so rarely ordered :(

11. revmaf

Uhhh - calf tongue. OK, whatever suits you, I guess.

12. Ragusa

Media:
    Well, from what I read it's about one of the finest pieces of the calf, en par with the filet.

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Not from the calf's point of view. :lol:

14. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    I made leczo on Monday and I ate the leftovers today and I have to say it was yummy. I used 2 red bell peppers and two green ones this time. (sorry for the paprika-pepper confusion by the way, it's paprika in both Hungarian and my mother tongue ;) ) Next time, I'll try Rally's idea and add another kind of pepper, though.

Also, if you let it absorb the juices for a little while, it tastes even better.

15. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    Made chocolate mousse yesterday. :yum: What are you people cooking?

16. Ragusa

Media:
    I made :bigeyes: chanterelle :bigeyes: pies yesterday evening. The flat still smells of chanterelles :yum:

17. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I had to look that up. Chanterelle is a type of mushroom. I'd love to know your recipe Ragusa. I've never made a mushroom pie before. I can't say that I've ever seen those kind of mushrooms growing around here though. Maybe I could substitute a standard mushroom for this area.

18. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

I've whipped out the deep fried recipies one more time, and has fried oreos, pizza, ice cream and scotch eggs this week. Good stuff, but I should cut down on fat. :mommy: :mommy: :mommy: :mommy:

I've also improved my version of Sir Bel's Abyssal Chili by completly removing Diabolical sausage in favor of Infernal one. It was touted as "packing three times more punch than Calvaire", which I had trouble believing. Well, turns out it's not a lie - I've has three for supper, and I couldn't even finish them all. I've added them to the chili batch which is currently slowly cooking - the smell of spices floating around my place is almost dizzingly strong.

This sucker is gonna pack one hell of a punch. :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. Ragusa

Media:
    Dragonfly, the recipe:
    • First things first: You need a half-pound of mushrooms, chanterelles in my case, but I'd love to try it with porcini (point: way too expensive, though considering my unsatiable lust for mushrooms... ).
    • muffin forms, 'six packs' in my case, for 12 pies.
    • puff pastry dough, deep frozen (way too much work to do it yourself), approx 500g.
    • two eggs
    • one medium size onion
    • sour cream (10% fat)
    • three smallish pieces of garlic
    • some white wine
    • salt, pepper, nutmeg.
    • butter — period. Any attempt to go for this recipe 'low fat' will result in disaster and in the cook disgracing him or herself; mushrooms and butter are a heavenly combination.
    First, butter the forms. Then, clean the mushrooms. Throw away everything that's moist and sticky. Use as fresh as possible. Chop the mushrooms finely. Chop the onion and the garlic finely. Take butter, melt it and add the chopped stuff. Cover the pot and let it cook on medium-ish heat.

In the meanwhile put the dough into the forms. Muffin forms are fine, but there is leeway :D I have also made pies in tea cups :shake: you get the idea.

When you have done that the mushrooms and stuff should be nearly ready. Add, salt and pepper, and add a generous shot of the wine, stir, and turn down the heat and reduce it.

Then, take the two eggs, and a soup spoon of the sour cream, add some nutmeg (carefully, mind you're making mushroom pies, not nutmeg pies – that goes for the pepper as well), and mix well.

You now have the two fillings for your pie. Give a soup spoon full of the mushroom filling into the pie forms, then cover with a spoon of the egg filling. Close the puff pastry over the filling, it doesn't matter if the pie isn't completely covered.

When in the oven, you can take a brush and put some milk, or egg yolk, or evaporated milk on the puff pastry cover (I used milk). It'll look nicer that way.

30 minutes active work. The rest is waiting for them (some more 25min).

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
  20. Uytuun Gems: 25/31

Media:
    I have only one thing to say: droooool.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.