1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    @ Ragusa - I think that the best recipies come out of experimentation. Some may not taste good, but some of them are really astounding.

I've never actually tried making cake with wine but I add it to a lot of other things when I have it on hand. Your recipe intrigues me.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Dragonfly ,
    nice to hear that :thumb: In fact, I'm still working on these muffins. I'm not completely satisfied, not only because I burnt them :bad: If anyone tries them, keep an eye on them. They might be ready earlier, depending on how thick you made them.
    And then I feel that something was missing. Red wine and dark chocolate have a very characteristic taste, and the white chocolate and white wine alone cannot function a surrogate, thus the lemons. I'll make half the quantity of dough some day before christmas and play around ... my first try have been 'proof of concept muffins', next round will be 'prototype muffins' :shake:

Likely changes ... :hmm: ... raisins in rum come to my mind. And I think two lemon skins would be good I feel, the lemon aroma was IMO too subtle, yet it somewhat overshadowed the wine aroma. Lemon juice and wine compete. If I take too much lemon juice I wouldn't taste out the wine anymore. For that reason I might skip the lemon juice completely. And maybe I add some bitter almond aroma.

I had ravioli in bolognese sauce this evening :yum: As I made it with half a pound of minced meat it was a little much for me - which means I'll have warm lunch tomorrow at work (fortunately we have a microwave there) :grin:

3. Dice

Media:
    Thanks for the info about freezing bread dough revmaf. I'll be giving it a try in the new year.

Right now I'm splat in the middle of christmas baking. I made some shortbread yesterday and I gave it a chocolate top today. I also made a beautiful batch of chocolate/cherry/pecan fudge that is almost too good to give away. The only thing I hate about making fudge is having to stir it by hand for 1/2 hour so it gets to the right consistancy.

[ December 17, 2006, 06:34: Message edited by: Dragonfly ]

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    My in-laws recently bought an espresso maker, so our Hanukkah gift to them is going to be a cookie jar filled with different flavors of biscotti. I'm thinking cranberry-pistachio, hazelnut-chocolate chip, and one more...

5. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Dragonfly, you are a saint to make fudge. I must be too ADD to do it. Only tried it once and never will again.

I am 35 loaves into the baking cycle, doing 12 today - it's 35 and not 36 because I dropped one putting it into the oven and was too fastidious to scrape the dough off the floor and use it anyway :) .

6. Dice

Media:
    :lol: Speaking of fudge - The first batch I made was wonderful so I decided to make some more... Although I thought I had repeated the recipe exactly the darn thing never set. I must have stirred the damn stuff for an hour and 1/2 before giving up.

@revmaf - I'm sure the person who would have received that 36'th loaf would be very grateful that you didn't make it if they knew.

7. Brallrock Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

A friend of the family made that one time and we liked it so much we had her make more. We called it sludge, and she sent it to our house for years at Christmas time.

8. Dice

Media:
    Oh Man...and I threw mine out. I wish I had known that some people like it that way and then I could have still given some for Christmas. I actually tasted really good. I think I could package sludge nicely with some bows the next time I make that mistake.

9. revmaf

Ambrosia:

My family has a holiday tradition of serving a fruit salad consisting of carefully peeled orange sections (so all the skin is off them - this is very tedious) mixed with sweetened shredded coconut. Don't know the proportions - I suspect this is one where my sister eyeballs it and decides it looks right! We call it ambrosia. I have seen it done with maraschino cherries added but we disdain such adulteration of a traditional dish.

Why a holiday dish? I suspect it's because people often give oranges by the box at Christmas, so you need to do SOMETHING with them, and we don't do it at other times because it takes too much time to prepare.

Generally we don't add any additional sweetener because the coconut is already sweet enough.

10. Dice

Media:
    The ambrosia salad I'm familiar with has orange slices, coconut, dreamwhip, and mini marshmallows. Its pretty good but dream whip isn't my favorite.

11. revmaf

Oh, goodness, not dreamwhip. Well, my grandmother's spinning in her grave.

12. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Dreamwhip?

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, what is Dreamwhip? Sounds pretty dodgy.

14. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

I think is a substitute for whipped-cream.

Google brings this up here

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Dream Whip It's sort of a substitute for whipped cream.

16. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Euh. Sounds gross.

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Eh. It's not bad, but real whipped cream is of course much better :)

Funny thing is, as I remember Ambrosia recipes, it's sour cream not whipped cream... *shrug*

18. revmaf

Actually, sour cream might work - not sure. But, yeah, dreamwhip, which I think is a pantry item, is fairly awful There's also cool whip, which comes in a tub in the freezer and is made of various artificial ingredients designed to resemble whipped cream.

The minimalist ambrosia of my family has only the orange juice as dressing - as the cook peels the oranges over a bowl the juice is caught and added to the finished product.

I think the common denominators of all ambrosia recipes are oranges and coconut. And that's all we use.

BTW, I was at the country fruit stand in our little village yesterday and overheard an old-timer (yes, older than me, even, by quite a bit) reminiscing about how in his youth Christmas always involved getting a whole coconut - you picked it out by shaking it to see if the coconut milk sloshed in it. I wonder if that old Southern mountain tradition had something to do with the invention of the ambrosia my family eats. Christmas was also the only time most people in this area got an orange or two to eat, at least until the 50's or 60's or even later.

19. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    Dreamwhip and Coolwhip are both a disgusting waste of calories, IMO.

The chocolate chip and coffee-hazelnut biscotti are done, and the canister for my in-laws is almost full! I guess I'll have to take a few out to make space for the cranberry-pistachio that I'll be making tonight. :roll:

20. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Why do you consider Dreamwhip so bad? It's probably mostly just gelatin and sweetener to make the milk and vanilla you added taste sweet and whip up with air.

*shrug* How can real milk and real vanilla be so bad? Sure, it's not as good as real homemade whipped cream, but "fairly awful" or "disgusting"? Snobby hyperbole IMO ;)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.