1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    So... anyone have a recipe for great peanut butter cookies? :D

2. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Oh, yeah, I remember the giant Reese. And the giant Kit Kat. Hilarious.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

From my trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook:

Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 c. butter or margarine
    1/2 c. peanut butter
    1/2 c. granulated sugar
    1/2 c. brown sugar or honey
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 1/4 c. flour
    Extra sugar

In a large mixing bowl, beat butter or margarine and peanut butter until creamy. Add both sugars, baking soda and baking powder. Beat until combined, scraping the bowl as needed. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Stir in the flour.

Shape dough into 1 ince balls. Roll in extra sugar to coat. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Flatten gently by crisscrossing the tines of a fork. Bake at 375* for 7-9 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.

Tips: Bake at 350* if you're using a Teflon coated pan to help not burn them. Take them out after 7 minutes and they'll finish cooking while cooling.

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Hubby got to use his manly skills today. He BBQed up some steaks while I made rice to celebrate the holiday. :yum:

5. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I'm not a 'super chef' but I'm always forced to make the food, fortunately I like doing it.

My five basic rules:
    1.Put lots o' butter in anything and it'll taste great
    2.Eat special, hard to do food only at your parents
    house! :D
    3.If you decide to cook/bake hard stuff, use the force :tie:
    4.Trust your nose
    5.Trust the cooking book

My special drink: I tried a verrrrrrrry Homer-like drink a year ago, warmed Pepsi with some hot chocolate, my friends liked it after tasting it. MAN it tastes good

6. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That's almost the opposite rule for me. With my family history of heart disease, butter is a no-go for me.

7. Trellheim Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Media:
    I said 'it'll taste good', I didn't say it's healthy

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Taco salads...uber delicious! :yum: So tastey there won't be any left for hubby tonight! :lol:

9. Arabwel

Media:
    What exactly is a taco salad? :confused:

10. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

A salad with taco beans in it. Like what you get from Wendy's.

11. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    The taco salads I've seen usually have lettuce, tomatoes, cooked and seasoned ground beef, cheddar cheese, and crumbled tacos. The dressing is usually a mix of salsa and sour cream.

12. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Well, my lovely plan for a vacation full of healthy grilled dinners was nixed by incessant rain. We managed to get the grill lit one night but then had to cover the coals with foil to keep them going. Good thing the cabins had ovens as a fallback.

Baked/grilled apples are lovely with butter pecan ice cream, BTW. And even heavy rain can't stop s'mores from being wonderful.

13. Arabwel

Media:
    So, i want to give the Sponge Toffee Dfly mentioneda try. however, how the HECK are you supposed to measure the tempterature of the stuff? :confused:

14. Dice

Media:
    You should be able to find a candy thermometer in most grocery stores Ara, but I believe you can also test it by dropping a little bit of the liquid in a cup of cold water. When it forms a hard ball then it should be ready. It would be at the "hard crack stage". It should be the consistancy of a hard candy.

15. Arabwel

Media:
    thanks Dfly!

and GO ME!

for I added bakingPOWDER instead of baking SODA.. think it is ghoing to be anything but a mess after it cools down? *grimace*

16. Dice

Media:
    Well it has been a couple of days since your last post here Ara, so I'm curious. Did you ever get a good batch of sponge toffee going for you? Or did you use up all your ingredients in the baking powder batch?

17. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would imagine it would come out just fine since baking powder contains baking soda. It might bubble more since baking powder contains both an acid and a base for the reaction.

18. Arabwel

Media:
    I fon't know what the heck went ewrong but it looked wuite messy and tasted weird. Possibly it was SUPPOSED to taste like that, but I donöt know *shrugs*

now, on the other hand, I have lots of baking supplies... *evil*

19. teekc Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

by the looks of it, there might be a "cooking #2" or a cooking forum.

20. Arabwel

Media:
    Kuemp, that cookie recipe = utter bliss :D

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.