1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Cooking In General

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Dice, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    Say, Dfly, I have been unable to locate black beans in this crummy town.. what other sort of beans would you recommend I have brown, soy, pinto, kidney, mung and large whites areound, as well as chickpeas...

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually I've used chickpeas before. They are very tasty is salads if you like them. I'm pretty sure that you could experiment with any of those beans though. You never know what might work great.

3. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    I love chickpeas, and use them frequently in Italian, Indian, and middle-eastern sorts of dishes.

4. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Skillet-Braised Chicken Thighs with Chickpeas

Ingredients :
    12 Bone-in chicken thighs (3-1/2 to 4 lb) skinned and trimmed of fat
    1/2 cup White flour for dredging
    1 1/2 tbl Olive oil
    2 sm Dried red chile peppers, crumbled
    2 Onions, quartered and thinly sliced
    2 Cloves garlic,finely chopped
    1 tsp Paprika
    1 tsp Dried marjoram
    2 lrg Vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded & chopped
    2 lrg Green bell peppers, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
    1 cup Reduced-sodium chicken broth defatted
    19 oz Can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tbl Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
    Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste

In a shallow dish, dredge chicken thighs in flour, shaking off the excess.
    Season both sides with salt and pepper. In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over high heat. Add the chicken, partially cover the pan and cook until the chicken is nicely browned, about 2 minutes per side (it will not be fully cooked). Remove from the skillet and set aside.
    Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to the skillet. Add dried chile peppers and cook until they turn dark, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and discard. Add onions and garlic to the skillet; cook until soft and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Add paprika and marjoram and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, green peppers and salt and pepper to taste; cook for 5 minutes longer.
    Return the chicken to the skillet, along with 1/2 cup of the chicken broth.
    Cover and simmer until the chicken is tender and no longer pink inside, 20 to 25 minutes. Add chickpeas and the remaining 1/2 cup broth; simmer for 5 to 8 minutes. Blot off any fat that rises to the surface with paper towels. Taste and adjust seasonings. (The dish can be made up to 2 days in advance and stored, covered in the refrigerator. Reheat gently on the stovetop or in the microwave oven before serving.) Garnish with parsley.
    Serves 6.

Enjoy!

5. Arabwel

Media:
    Mauro, that sounbds delish. also, I havenot been able to find frozen orange juice concentrate, so would plain unfrozen orange juice do?

6. Maurolava

Maurolava Neither to go back, nor to take impulse Veteran

Ara, that should be fine, if anything add couple more ice cubes.

7. Arabwel

Media:
    Cool :D I shall be trying that one out as soon as the damn mango turns yellow... *glares at the fruit sitting in kitchen*

8. Dice

Media:
    I think I'm either going to ask for an icecream maker or a pasta maker for mothersday. Which would be the better choice?

9. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Ice cream maker. Ice cream rules! :yum:

10. Arabwel

Media:
    I second that. Ice cream rules! :love:

11. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Pasta maker it's the healthy choice :p

12. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Bah, it's harder to make ice cream by hand than pasta. :grin:

13. Dice

Media:
    Yes, pasta is the healthier choice but icecream....... drool ......homemade icecream ......

I still haven't made an official decision yet though.

14. Uytuun Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Media:
    Ice cream...think of all the experiments and delicious flavours...Ice cream is so...extravagant. :D

15. Disciple of The Watch

Disciple of The Watch Preparing The Coming of The New Order Veteran

Ice cream is even better deep-fried :yum: *drools*

16. Dice

Media:
    Well due to the magic of pure pressure (and my love of icecream) I've decide on an icecream maker. Does anyone know a good brand to choose. Economical but easy to use?

17. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Does anyone have a tried-n-true recipe for GREAT gazpacho? It's one of Hubby's favorite things, and now that the season for fresh local tomatoes is fast approaching...

18. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I have to say that chocolate and vanilla Eggos rule breakfast. :yum:

Also, anybody every tried a beef Caeser wrap? It's like a chicken Caeser, only I can't eat chicken.

19. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

What's an eggo?

20. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Eggo is a trade name in NA. Waffles. Don't know what else they make.

Fast food. You can toast them in a toaster.

Haven't had one for years.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.