1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Convince Me...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Luan, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Luan Guest

That Czech beer isn't the most overrrated in the world. I'm afraid I've tried a few of the better known brews, yet Breznak (and who is that on the bottle?) is easily the best thus far. I believe I can be convinced wrong on this, so can someone show me the light?

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I think that the Czechs brew some of the best beer in the world. Maybe not the best but the have some really good ones. My favourite is Staropramen I really like light lager with a clean taste of beer.
    I really hate Pilsner Urcquell and that is one of their most famous and all "experts" raise it to the skies. I think it taste like piss. The best beer all categories is danish Tuborg Grön yummie!

3. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I didn't taste too many types of beer when I was visiting the Czech Republic, but Urquell was heaven compared to those brands they sell here in Norway. And I generally like the brands here too...

4. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Have to say Canadian beer is quite good :)

We are avid beer drinkers eh :grin:

5. Firestorm

Firestorm Beeep, Beeep, ERROR Veteran

Danish beer is the best.
    We are the makers of both Tuborg and Carlsberg.

And, Kit: Most people here seems like it :D

6. Silverblade Guest

Good types of beer: Amstel, Heiniken, Dommelsch, Bavaria. I think that are a few types of beer that people know in more than on country.

BTW, I hate beer, it tastes awfull, but I just had to promote dutch beer.

7. Masher Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

And for those who don't use the word beer interchangeably with lager, here's two fine brews: Theakston's Old Peculier and Fuller's 1845.
    BTW I like lager as well, don't misunderstand.

8. Luan Guest

Masher, beer and lager are never interchangable, the latter just being a subgroup of the former.

Silverblade, I can tell. Surely La Trappe would be a lot better to mention.

9. Garret Jax Gems: 5/31

Guiness. Pure Guiness. From the tap sitting in a pub in Ireland. OH, the local beer in any German town(for the most part). I have yet to try true Danish beer. I'm sure it's good. But what do I know, My choices are Bud, Miller, and Coors.

10. Azardu Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Just thought I'd mention that Budweiser is originally a Czech brand called Budovar. Useless trivia that most people probably either knew already, or don't care about. :p

Anyone had a chance to compare the Czech one to the American one?

11. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yup, the czech one has a taste :)
    And the its Budweiser Budvar. A real nice and smooth tasting lager. The american is good if you dont like beer, it tasted like water and you can drink it fast and with no problem.

12. Extremist Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm sorry if I'll disappoint anyone with this, but definetly the best IMHO is Tuborg (ordinary or Classic - doesn't matter).
    It is Danish...

But, since I got very bad mood because of a certain mute who is Dane btw, I've decided to switch on Slovenian beer - no, I'm serious here and this is not a**kissing.

The beer is called Zlatorog and it is definetly one of the best beers I've tried. In fact, it has a strong original aroma, and I like such beers.

13. Ramses Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Excellent Extremist. Torture will bring him back. IF not, the salvation of doing it is adequate.

Subnote, Beer is healthy in small protions. HDL-colesterol is increased. HDL-colesterol minimize sclerosis. Which is the most tasty is asking people what color is the most pretty.

14. total Guest

I like czech Radegast, but dont like Tuborg. Why, I dont know it just doesnt feel right. About that Zlatorog, not bad but once I tried it in some bar and it smelled like rotten eggs, after that I didnt drink for a while. Here in Croatia most popular like bud is Zuja (Ozujsko), you can drink it in gallons, but the morning after...

15. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Danish Tuborg and Carlsberg are both excellent. NB drink it in Denmark, not in the UK where it tastes, well nothing really.

I haven't tried a lot of the European ones mentioned, but I'm making a list now! Where can I get them in the UK if anyone knows?

Arendals Pils is a firm fave if I'm in southern Norway. Drinking anything else down there seems to be a capital offence anyway, so just as well I like it!

American Budwiser, at least the stuff we get in the UK tastes nothing at all, and should be avoided at all costs unless you want to spend lots of money buying bottled beer in a pub when you could drink Kronenburg 1664 or Stella Artois and get a decent pint for the same price. LOVE the current crop of TV adds though. "This Bud's for you, Mr Nudist Camp activities co-ordinator." LOL, almost made me (and I hate the stuff) want to buy a bottle.

For draught lager in the UK, go for either Heineken Export or Carlsberg Export if you can get it. Actually tastes pretty much like it would if you bought it at home so to speak.

Possibly my longest post to date. I like my beer!

16. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Famous beer isn't always the best... Heineken is Dutch most famous beer but in my opinion Grolsch is much better. The best Czech beer is in my opinion Gambrinus. Pilsner Urquell is also great.

Other great beer:

- Murphies (Irish)
    - Krombacher, Veltins (German)
    - Palm (Belgium beer)
    - Holsten (where is that from?)

17. Luan Guest

I still remain unconvinced here. Have tried Gambrinus, one of their beers anyway. One point on Budweiser, it refers to the town, not the individual beer. And whilst far superior to the American beer bearing the title, I really can't rate it. Never heard of Radegast though, seems the most promising reply.

I am a keen beer drinker, and do like to try different brews. Given my current location (Scotland), the largest number of decent beers have come from the UK, of which I can only ever recall seeing one decent lager on tap - ever. That does go to a British one though - Grozet.

Viking, I take it your over in the US, best Europeans I know of that can be found over there would be Fraoch and Chimay Grande Reservé.

As for Carlsberg, I've had their standard beer and their Carl's Jul, but really want to try their Gammle Porter, just to see if they can actually do something worth the effort (no offence intended towards fans of theirs).

Old Peculier is one that I've never really got along with, although can appreciate, and Fuller's is always a good name to look out for.

18. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Question, In the states does it have on the label Bud or Budweiser. Just curious because i was always under the impression that Budweiser was the imported version. Is this correct?

19. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Luan,

Somewhat closer to you than that I'm afraid.

Newbury, Berks. So if you want to send a rescue pack of decent beer down from beyond the wall, feel free!

One of my best friends is from up your way, but he's not in any sense fit to ask about beer. He drinks lager top!!!!!! OUCH!! Turned into a right southern softie. :D

20. Asmodeus Gems: 5/31

I think you guys all should try the wide variety of the Belgian Beers, I can´t think of another country with such a wide spread interest and custom in brewing beer. (Of course there´s germany, but that is mostly known for it´s quantity of liters that are daily being absorbed by the germans rather than the quantity in brands, some of the quality is indeed high , especially the Weizen-beers. like Löwenbrau and Erdinger)
    In Belgium the tradition sprang forth mainly from monasteries where monks brew these godly beers, the only luxury they were allowed to, for centuries and later in the so called Panhuizen, Belgium offers about 400 beers. (Give or take 50)
    A few examples of very very good beerbrands and remember, most of these brands offer again about an average of 5 types of beer,some of them exceptionally more though !

Achel, Achilles, Achouffe, Affligem, Alken-Maes, Angerik, Artois, Het Anker, d'Aubel, Basse-Semois, Bavik, Oud Beersel, Belle-vue, St. Bernardus, De Bie, La Binchoise, Bios, De Block, Bockor, Bouillon, Du Bocq, Boelens, Boon, v/d Bossche, Bosteels, Brootcoorens Brunehaut, Bruyères, Callewaert, de Cam, Cantillon, La Caracole, Caulier, Chimay, Clarysse, Contreras, Crombe Deca, Dentergems, Ter Dolen, Dolle Brouwers, Dubuisson, Dupont, Duysters,
    Ecaussinnes, Van Eecke, Ellezelloise, Eylenbosch, Facon, des Fagnes, Fantôme, 3 Fonteinen, Friart, Gaverhopke, Géants, Gigi, Girardin, Gouden Boom, St.Guibert, Haacht,
    Hanssens, Ste Helene, Hoegaarden, Hansebrouck, den Hopperd, Huyghe, St.Jozef, John Martin, Jupiler, Keersmaeker, Kerkom, De Kluis, De Koninck, De Koo, La Trappe, De Landtsheer, Lefèbvre, Leffe, Leroy, de Leyert, Liefmans, Van der Linden, Louwaege, Lindemans, Maire, Martens, Meesters, Mibrana, Moortgat, Moriau, Musketiers, Old Bailey, Oleye, Orval, Palm, Pirlot, Proefbrouwerij, De Ranke, De Regenboog, Riva, Rochefort, La Rochefortoise, Abbaye des Rocs, Rodenbach, Roman, de Rulles, de Ryck, La Saint Monon,
    Val de Sambre, Silenrieux, Silly, Slaapmutske, Slaghmuylder, De Smedt, St. Sixtus, Sterkens, Strubbe, Timmermans, Troch, Val-Dieu, Vapeur, Verhaege, Vervifontaine, Villers, Weldebroec, Westmalle, Westvleteren
    If i skipped one, my apologies....

And my favourite will defenitely be, Dentergems white beer, with a slight slice of lemon on a very hot sunny afternoon. WOW :cool:

Edited for adding ;)

[This message has been edited by Asmodeus (edited January 16, 2002).]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.