1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Converting 2nd edition stats to 3rd edition

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by Acrux, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Acrux Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Veteran

Does anyone know of a good formula (or whatever) that can be used to convert prime stats from 2nd edition into 3rd (or 3.5) edition? Or vice versa?

I know that 2nd edition stats of 25 = 3rd edition stats of 40, but I haven't been able to work out how those compare. I know it's not just a matter of multiplying the stats * 1.6 (otherwise 2nd edition stats of 18 would be equal to 3rd edition stats of 28.8!).

So, does anyone know just how it's done?

Thanks!

[ September 22, 2007, 16:50: Message edited by: Acrux ]

2. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I would say that up to 18, the numbers would translate straight across. It's past 18, I have no ideas...

3. Ziad

Ziad I speak in rebuses Veteran

Media:
    I don't think you can do the straight math like this. Especially with Strength you have to be very careful, since 3E does away with the "extraordinary strength" for warrior types. An increase from 18 to 19 in 2E is tremendous, and more like what 18 to 28 would be in 3E. And again, the benefits you get in 2E from raising Strength to 25 are much more substantial than raising, say, Dexterity or Constitution to 25 (in terms of actual number of increases).

4. Gnarfflinger

Just drop the Exceptional strength. Fighters get the extra feats, so they don't need that bonus.

If you insist, look at the second edition categories then apply that, like 18/01 is 19, 18/51 is 20, 18/76 becomes 21, 18/91 translates as 22, and 18/100 tops at 23. I just think that's too over the top...

5. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Instead they're the weakest class by far.

6. Gnarfflinger

I'm not so sure of that. Those feats, if selected right, make thema quintessential part of a party.

They do tend to fall into the trap of being one dimensional if you focus too much...

7. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Back when I bought D&D 3.0 PHB it came with a booklet to convert 2E to 3E characters, worked okie enough.

Generally keep stat for stat, remove old 2E race modifiers and reaply new racial modifiers (Think this was optional as I didn't do it myself).

Feats and skills etc are trickier as there are no direct similarities per say. Non weapon proficiences and weapon proficiencies have similarities though, just try to pick things fairly in "theme" with such if you have them.

8. Al the Dumb Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Veteran

The conversion manual should still be available for download from Wizards of the Coast.

pplr likes this.
  9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.