1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Contender or Pretender NFL 2006

Discussion in 'Colosseum' started by Aldeth the Foppish Idiot, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Hacken Slash

Hacken Slash OK... can you see me now?

Somebody please shoot me...

I bought Cardinals tickets.

2. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Well, I'm not waiting for the Monday night game this week to post the good, the bad and the ugly, because I already have 3 great nominees for each position, that I can see nothing that can happen tonight that will replace them - and seeing as how ugly Green Bay can be at times, that's really saying something.

The Good: Patriots. Good God, is this the same team that looked that bad against the Broncos a week ago? I don't know if that was a let-down game for the Bengals, but they got the pants beat off of them.

The bad: 49ers. Sorry Alex Smith, after making some progress and showing some promise early this season, that was a major step backwards. Especially considering the Chiefs have been anything but an offensive juggernaut this season, that was a very poor effort.

The ugly: Haynesworth cleating the Cowboy's center. For those who don't know, football players wear cleats when they play on grass, which was the case yesterday. Defensive lineman Haynesworth of the Titans basically stomped on the Cowboys center's head (the center had his helmet knocked off on the play so this was directly to his skull). He needed 30 stitches to close the gash on his face. Haynesworth was ejected from the game, and although I doubt he'll be arrested, there has to be a suspension without pay for a long time - possibly the rest of the year.

3. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Somehow I managed to go all week until now without hearing about the Haynesworth incedent. That being the case he should be suspended for the rest of this season and fined hard.

As for the Bengals getting stomped, good. :) Now the Ravens need it.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    FLY, EAGLES, FLY!

:thumb:

5. oddbean

oddbean Fear Me

I'm right there with you Rallymama! I am so glad they beat Dallas. Also really glad TO didn't get to do much. Go #5!

6. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Week 5 edition:

The good: Da Bears. As in really good - maybe even great. They aren't just getting by in victories like the Colts - they are absolutely pasting the competition, and recorded yet another blowout on Sunday against the Bills. Probably the best team in the NFL at the moment.

The bad: J-E-T-S Jets! Jets! Jets Stink!
    Look, the Jaguars are a good, but not a great team. Yet they looked about as good as you can look against the Jets Sunday. Just an awful performance no matter how you cut it.

The ugly: Sadly, my beloved Ben Roethlisberger - and no, I'm not talking about his face after the motorcycle accident. Something isn't right with Ben, and now with three games under his belt, the "rusty" excuse is starting to wear thin. Seven interceptions, no touchdown passes, three games. That's ugly.

7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Lttle late this week, but what the heck:

The Good: Steelers, and more specifically Big Ben. Guess the face/appendix/psyche is fully healed, eh?

However, since the bad this week is clearly the Chiefs, and I don't like using the same game twice, let's go with the Bucs. Gradkowski really showed some moxie in leading the Bucs to their first win this year, Gradkowski's first career win, that came on his first under-two minutes touchdown drive to win the game.

The Bad: Sorry, but clearly it's the Chiefs, since there's no real reason to keep piling on the Raiders week after week. And what the heck is wrong with Larry Johnson - yes, I know he almost had his neck twisted off last week, and he wasn't 100%, but he hasn't been right all year.

I'd also like to point out that I correctly predicted that LT would be the #1 fantasy running back this year, not LJ or Alexander. LJ is not nearly as productive as he was last year, and Alexander has already missed a couple of games, and likely will miss a couple more before returning from injury, so that is obviously going to seriously cut into his overall production.

The Ugly: There really should be no arguement here - it's gotta be the Cardinals. How the heck do you lose a 20-point lead when you have the ball on the last play of the 3rd quarter? How, with a 13 point lead and under 12 minutes remaining do you not run on every 1st and 2nd down play - and probably even run on 3rd down for that matter. At that point, the clock is your friend, and just repeatedly plowing into the line will likely take enough time off the clock for the Bears to run out of time. And how often does Neil Rackers miss a 41-yard field goal in perfect kicking conditions?

8. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

2 weeks in row on that aldeth lol. iirc he missed the gimme in KC 2 weeks ago as well.

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    OK, going quick for week 7 action.

Good: Giants
    Bad: Jacksonville - wtf was that on Sunday against the Texans of all teams?
    Ugly: Redskins - and that's going downhill fast...

10. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Good: Falcons
    Bad: Steelers
    Ugly: 49ers

(I didn't put bears as good because there was really noone else to put at ugly and Don't wanna use the same game for 2 :0)

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Los took my job this week, and did a very admirable job. I was thinking about this, and the only thing I may have changed was the good (I completely agree with the bad and the ugly). I was actually torn between two games for the good. Indianapolis beat a tough Denver team in a game that came down to the wire, and Tony Romo won his debut as quarterback for the Cowboys in convincing fashion.

12. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Eh, I looked at it from two points. It was good for the Steelers that the bungles lost, and Atlanta looked pretty damn sharp. But yes both of those other teams/games were good. The Indianapolis game was very intense.

Although I will have to say again that the officiating is going down the drain. Cincinatti got screwed on a couple calls in that game, and ATL had a horrible PI called on them. Is it just me or are there like 10x as many personal fould calls this year than there were the last few years. Discounting Pittsburgh Vs. Houston/Tennessee games lol.

13. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Well, there are also a bunch of new rules in recent years that now qualify as personal fouls. That is at least part if it, I think. For example, in the last two years, we've had three rules changes:

1. A helmet to helmet hit on a quarterback or a receiver is now a personal foul.

2. Going for the quarterbacks knees (unless of course you were blocked into him) is also a personal foul.

3. Horse-collar tackling is also now a personal foul.

That's three rules that used to be legal, and as the saying goes, old habits die hard. Players who have legally used those tactics throughout their careers are slow to adjust, especially in the heat of the game, where you are reactionary, and not thinking through what you're doing for you do it.

14. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

I know but those aren't the fouls that I keep see getting called.

Also, you forgot the "Team Celebration" penalty in that. Which the Steelers seem to draw one ever game =/. Correctly called, don't get my wrong, I'm saying that more as a statement of their own stupidity.

The taunting calls now are getting ridiculous though, both people are up jawin' how can you just call one? I dunno it seems kinda ridiculous though, and definitely over-called. J Peezy seems to get quite a few of those over the last couple years, and most of them seemed kinda lame calls.

15. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

16. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    No good bad and ugly this week - although I can certainly appoint Los with my proxy for the week. I was away for the weekend because of a death in the family and I didn't see any games, so I certainly can't comment on anything, except on the final scores. I'll take a stab at Colts for the good, Titans for the bad (thanks for showing up) and a joint award for the ugly to the 49ers and Vikings, for participating in a game in which no touchdowns were scored.

17. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    The Good -- it's just too easy to keep on picking the Colts. However, Miami did an incredible job against Chicago... makes you wonder where the Dolphins have been the rest of the season.

The Bad -- Oakland. Nine sacks. There is no offensive line for the Raiders. Until they get some protection for the quarterback (whoever may survive) the Raiders will continue to be the worst offense in the league. Why can't Davis just spend money on a good line instead of wide receivers?

The Ugly -- This week has to go to Rex Grossman and the Bears. That was pathetic (and I loved every minute of it).

18. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

no touchdown games aren't always bad :) been busy or I woulda posted good bad n ugly, but Mine woulda been the same as Bruno's. I loved Miami man-handling the bears :p

19. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    My votes....

The Good: The second half comeback by the Chargers was quite impressive, which leads to...

The Bad: The defenses for San Diego, Cincinnati, New Orleans and Pittsburgh -- where were they? Did any of those defenses show up at the games? Nearly two thousands yards between those two games.

The Ugly: The New York Giants total collapse in the second half. This is a team that prides itself on it's 3rd and 4th quarter performance -- not against the Bears. It just doesn't get worse than allowing a 108 yard runback on a missed field goal.

[ November 13, 2006, 20:07: Message edited by: T2Bruno ]

20. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Lol you I was extremely happy, but extremely mad watching yesterdays game. I was very happy that Ben and the offense were clicking, but very mad that our D couldn't stop the lady down the street from crossing the road.

Looked like San Diego had a huge 2nd half in Cincinatti...which was great because the Steelers needed the bungs to lose.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.