1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Consequences

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by NOG (No Other Gods), Mar 11, 2006.

1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Yes, it is, but God keeps reminding me of why I became a Christian. I've never heard such a calling nor felt such a thirst for anything else.

2. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    That's wonderful - I'm so happy for you! Truthfully, I feel the same way about my conversion to Judaism. :)

3. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Harbs, I'm an Aussie, and you're a Kiwi. That should be evidence enough for you. :lol:

Well, that makes a great deal more sense to me. I still think it's wise to retain a certain amount of reflexivity in such matters, though.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Oh man, how long will I have to wait? That's not fair. Why has He spoken to you already, but not me?

5. Abomination Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Because he simply doesnt' like you HB. He wants you to rot in hell for not worshipping him... that's how it goes right? Worship God or rot in hell?

6. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

And we are taught when to leave the discussion--usually when there is an attempt to disengage or when those in authority (for example, the home-owner) tell us that our presence or discussion is not wanted. I feel comfortable continuing here because the Mods aren't telling me to stop. If the rules suddenly forbade the discussion of religion, then I'd have to silently watch and contribute to other topics.

Actually there are discrepencies between the wording of various translations of the Bible, but for the most part, the story is the same. Likewise if you and I watch the same movie, there may be differences in the words we choose to report on the story, but ultimately we saw the same movie...

I'm only plugging the textbooks I recommend. I either don't know or don't agree with some of the other textbooks out there.

Wars against those that would try to conquer the people of Israel and subjugate them and perhaps put an end to the worship of the Lord. Mass killing of those who are guilty of grevious sins that under the laws of Israel would otherwise be punishable by death or those who would seek to destroy Israel if given the chance...

Ultimately, we all earn out place in the afterlife, but what that place is, we can't be sure. I can't prove to you that I'll be in the Kingdom of God in Eternity, but I believe that I will be.

I believe that when He returns, all will know Him. There will be no mistaking when he truly returns, and every knee shall bow and every tongue will acknowledge Him as our Saviour.

Actually He speaks to us all, but do we recognize His voice and his words?

7. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    @HB:
    He's been speaking to you this whole time, you just weren't listening.

@Gnarff:
    Actually, the only times God tells the Israelites to totally wipe out a people is when they have engaged in child sacrifices. He seems to really take issue with that one.
    As for His second coming, it'll be a little late at that point. Better late than never doesn't quite cut it, here, either.

8. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Numbers, 31:14-18:

This is an order, given in the name of God, to murder the women and boys, and to take the girls as (sex) slaves.

Source: http://www.bible.org/netbible/

Even if the punishment of the men and women is considered just, slaughtering or enslaving children is not.

9. Rallymama Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Media:
    @Montresor: Once again, as was discussed in the "Premarital Sex" thread, it's inappropriate to judge the actions of history by the standards of the present. Is this what was commonly done to those who lost a war AT THE TIME? Also, if you read back a bit in the chapter you find that all God has to say is "Avenge the Israelite people on the Midianites" [Moses' father-in-law was a Midianite priest, by the way]. Exactly how that order is carried out seems to me to be purely up to Moses.

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Rallymama: I judge the Bible, and all other works, by my own standards.

By those standards, the Bible is a history of terrorism and violence, and it is written by men - probably Jewish priests, but we have no way of knowing who wrote the books in the Bible. The name of God is only used as an excuse for what I consider to be atrocities.

I can either judge the Bible to be appropriate in our time and age, in which case the standards set forth in the Bible are valid today. Or I can judge the Bible as being inappropriate in our time, which means it is not eternal. Hardly fitting for the Word of God.

If there is a God, and He is kind and loving, the Bible can, IMHO, never be His Word.

11. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Wait a second here. I was aware that members of the Mormon faith were expected to go out and attempt to convert at some point in their lives, usually as teens or young adults. Are you saying even adult members of the faith are expected to go door-to-door spreading the Word?

12. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    @Montresor:
    The passage in question refers to the Israelites wiping out a SERIOUS THREAT to their security. If they had let the boys live, or pregnant women, or mothers, they would have a whole new generation of people rearing to wipe them out. The young women in those days were not expected to seek revenge. Also, the women they took had full rights of any wife in Israel. They weren't sex slaves, they weren't even slaves. They were taken in because there was no reason to kill them and leaving them on their own was a death sentence.
    If you stop and think about it, God is showing mercy here, this is no more an attrocity than modern Israel wiping out all the Muslim and Palestinian extremists in and around Israel. In those days, extremists didn't hide in peaceful populations like they do today, they led or joined tribes of extremists and raised their sons to follow them.
    If you're going to make absolute claims like that, you can at least try to know what you're talking about before you do so.

13. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Well, nice way to put all the blame for poor communication on the receiver. Communication is a two-way thing. If a message doesn't get through then some of the blame must lie with the sender as well.

14. Ilmater's Suffering Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

I've always though an infinite being like God can't be understood through finite means.

Since a finite being can only understand a part of an infinite being, I've always found it most useful to try to use your own experience, rather then another's to understand God, as you're more likely to understand the aspects that mesh with your own limits.

If I'm into poverty prevention, the aspects of God as a judge and lawman probably aren't the aspects of god I'm going to truly understand. However the aspect of God as the Utopianist and Volunteer I can understand quite well.

15. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    From an American Indian prayer:

16. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

That is a special opportunity offered to men aged around 19 years to go out for 2 years as full time missinoaries. This is extended to Women at age 21 for a year and a half as well. After that time, they return home and resume normal lives.

17. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Telling the Hebrews to wipe out an entire population, save for the virgin girls, was His way of showing mercy? Yikes, talk about moral relativism.

If God is truly God, then he is perfect and unchanging. He has no need to change as change would imply he was imperfect and needed to change to become perfect.

So God's order to wipe out an entire population (and lots of other pretty horrible things he commands the Hebrews to do in the Torah) was as moral (or immoral) then as it is now.

This is like the moral relativists who make excuses for George Washington owning slaves, i.e. "well, everyone owned slaves back then! It was okay then, but not now!" Philosophically bankrupt moral relativism.

And then to read stuff into it like "well, those people were sacrificing babies to Bhaal" -- how convenient! Remember that this is the history of the Jews written by the Jews. Imagine if the Nazis had won WW2 and what your history books would say. The Jews deserved extermination because they were baby eaters, perhaps?

I honestly wonder what the thought process is for faithful Jews and Christians when they read that stuff. Do the excuses just poor into their minds as they read the Old Testament? How else could anyone retain a faith in the god of the OT while reading about all those attrocities?

Or do they just skip over it all? I doubt there are many ministers who choose to give a Sunday morning sermon about the Israelites slaying entire tribes save for the virgin girls. Naah... let's give a nice, warm fuzzy sermon about the Golden Rule or something instead.

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

Okay, you're still not getting it. The orders were Moses's, not God's; all God did was give Moses free reign (and free will) to stop the danger to his people. Moses was the one who decided on the course of action. If you want to call the people of the time morally bankrupt, go right ahead, but God was simply too aloof to dirty His hands with such things.

19. Chimera Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

And you know this, how? The god you worship could be an absolute bastard, but you would not know.
    An evil deity will simply move their evil, omnipotent little pinky and make you believe whatever he wants, including your own free will and choice of said beliefs.

20. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

It's what the book says, and I thought Rally made it rather clear. And for the record, I do not worship that God (because He is a bastard ;) ) or any other that is discussed on this board; I have my own set of beliefs, delved from late night ponderings.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.