1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Congress Resolution... To War!

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Rastor, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

BOC, after the Arabs conquered Constantinople they created a huge empire that dominated that part of the globe. They had an actual culture, well-respected libraries and places of learning (I don't know that you'd call them colleges as such), and a host of technological accomplishments. I'm not just talking about big buildings.

Yes, there have been good examples of stable democracies among the poor countries in Africa. Senegal springs to mind. But my point is better addressed by the things we see contributed to the world from African nations: there we do see some vibrant, healthy cultures alongside the destitute nations. I can't point to notable scholarly achievements on the par of the old Arab empires, however.

2. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Shralp - You have to give a little credit to the Arab world. Our number system is based on arabic, and the rediscovery of numerous ancient greek and roman texts by arabic scholars basically ended the "Dark Ages" and brought about the Renaissance revival in Europe.

3. Falstaff

Falstaff Sleep is for the Weak of Will Veteran

You got it Bel, if not for the Arabic scholar Al Farabi, we probably would not have any Aristotle floating around today...

4. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Heh. Bel, that's why I added my little "in the last 50 years" disclaimer.

Although I strongly contest the idea that Arabs had much to do with the end of the Dark Ages... or that the Dark Ages were all that dark. The monks who stockpiled books and then opened schools across Europe deserve a good bit of the credit.

5. BOC

BOC Let the wild run free Veteran

Shralp
    You are wrong. Constantinople was conquered by Turks in 1453 AC. The Arabs besieged Constantinople several times (669 AC, 674 AC, 717 AC) but they never managed to conquer it. The Arabs conquered Persia, North Africa, Southern Spain and some byzantine provinces in Minor Asia and Aegean Sea which were retaken by Byzantines in later years. I agree with you that arabs developed a great culture but their culture had nothing to do with the byzantine culture.It was far advanced than byzantine culture in many things. Byzantines, because of the theocratic nature of their state, have never developed a significant culture and therefore they have never created the wonders that you say.

[ October 28, 2002, 22:26: Message edited by: BOC ]

6. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Shralp - I missed the half-century reference the first time around...

But - the middle east has jumped light years ahead in the creation of fanatical terrorists to foment anarchy and chaos! Give credit where credit is due! :p ;) :rolleyes:

7. Laches Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Bel, I know that was tongue in cheek, but since I do think there may be a tendency by some to think Islam fosters terrorism I'll just assert the position that that is not so. (and I know you said Middle East not Muslim but to many they are inextricably twined.)

I think the reason for terrorism is usually soci-economic. While the Middle East is sitting on huge oil reserves, the overwhelming majority of that wealth has not resulted in the type of filtered down benefit to the populace one might hope.

There are many, many types of terrorist groups and the one common component seems to be they are usually born out of poor socio-economic situations. There are a ton of Christian terrorist groups. And Hindu. And Buddhist. And... Just think of all the Christian terrorists in Central and South America.

Here is a little list, not all the groups may fit neatly into the square hole, but it is a start.

http://fas.org/irp/world/para/

If Turandil reads this, notice all the communist terrorists? :)

8. Falstaff

Quote:
    "The monks who stockpiled books and then opened schools across Europe deserve a good bit of the credit."

Shralp, the monks you are referring to really did not do that much until the later middle ages - AFTER the influences of the Arab teachers and philosophers were felt in Europe. Contrary to popular belief, monks were not really all that educated until the Scholastic movement started in the later middle ages - many of them could not even read, so I think you are giving credit to the wrong people. Pick a new history book.

9. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Heh. BOC, unless I'm mistaken Constaninople has indeed fallen. They call it Instanbul now. :1eye:

Falstaff, behave yourself. Be polite. Atta boy.

10. BOC

Yes Shralp, it has fallen and it is called Istanbul now (here we call it still Constantinople),I have already written this. What I'm trying to say to you is that it was conquered by the Turks not by the Arabs.

11. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

Ah. I suppose by "Arabs" I used the wrong word for the group I was thinking of. Perhaps I should have stuck with "Muslims," but I was trying to avoid (further) stigmatizing the religion.

12. Falstaff

Sorry Shralp, sometimes I get a little excited - nothing personal! :thumb:

13. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Lets have a show of hands. Who cares about who is leading Iraq?

14. BOC

Turks are muslims but this is the only common thing they have with Arabs. They have nothing common with arabs in culture or politics. I think it is indicative the fact that they are the only islamic country of the area, which has good relations with Israel.

15. Shralp Gems: 18/31

Veteran

NP, Falstaff.

Truth be told, BOC, a good bit of the people over there aren't Arabs. Depending upon whom you ask, you'll hear that Afghanis, Pakistanis, and even Egyptians are not Arabs.

I think anthropologists would agree about the first two groups.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.