1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

comparison to BG1

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by LowboDyiss, Apr 15, 2001.

1. LowboDyiss Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Hi all! I need quick answers because i want to start playing NOW! How important are mages, thieves and clerics in "ICEWINDS DALE" compared to Baldur´s Gate ???

THX

Möge euch das Schicksal wohlgesonnen sein

LowboDyiss

2. Bowie Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Short answer: All are useful.

Long answer: There are lot of traps and locks for the thief. You're going to need a healer- take a cleric. And the mage for the area effect spells like cloudkill and web to keep 20 monsters from attacking your frontline at once. Plus consider a bard especially if you've got HOW installed, I didn't but wish I had. The bard has some new features in the HOW expansion that aren't in BG1 or 2.

3. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Yeah, you'll need the thief and the cleric BIG TIME. Making a party full of fighters is kinda insulting to the intelligence too y'know :p. The bard would be a nice addition for HoW, I guess. But I'd go for the druid. Never did have much faith in Bards.

4. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

bards, Druids, and Thieves are a must have....Cleric is good too.

5. Voltric Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Well I would not say bards and druids are a must in IWD. I played with them because they are cool classes and very interesting. Clerics are a must due to all the fighting add hence healing plus their great 'booster' spells.

HoW has helped out the Druid class a lot they had a lot of problems with the XP cap and limited abilities and almost no good 4th level spells. The new spells are great the expanded shape-shifting and other power make them a killer class.

6. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

A cleric with powerful healing and a ranger who's dealing heavy damage with ranged attacks is a must.

I never really saw the extreme use for a thief in BG1, except for some easy made cash by robbing all drawers and lockers everywhere. In Icewind Dale, I feel that the need for disarming traps is increased, and also the use for the stealth especially for scouting and also for dealing some critical damage if you find the right dagger to use in the higher levels.

7. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Admittedly the traps in IWD were more numerous than in BG1, but in BG! the thief was a must too! In addition to opening all the doors and locks (and there were a LOT) how would you expect to get to the final battle unscathed thru the thieves guild, 2 damn lightning bolts may finish you off! narrow halls with everyone in a line, 2 lightning bolts rebounding along would slay everyone except my fighters.. and they were all level 7. A Thief is necesarry, also in fighting Davaeorn.

8. GONMAR Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I think the druid is essential at least to my party...but everyone's different..when It comes to playing style. I play with six spell casters. Magic is really good in IWD. Thieves just make thing easier all around. Bards make things easier as well. So if you like spellcasters...bards and druids are great additions and essential in my party.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.